Colonial 2 tine bone handle fork, Paste Cufflink and much more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out yesterday to do some more sifting and got my best bone handle fork yet :headbang: Unfortunately it was raining in the morning, so I dug iron targets for a few hours until it stopped raining and I could open up the pit. While digging iron nails, to my surprise, I unmasked the thimble, tombac button, flat button, pewter buckle... and totally randomly found a silver needle in the dirt. Its so small it hardly sets off the pinpointer. I'm not surprised these targets were masked at all... I'm surprised because I often dig nails and usually don't find nearly as many non-ferrous surprises. So I had luck on my side and decided to open a new pit section. The area I opened is an area I had been meaning to sift because it contains mostly Rose Head nails and very few square nails. In contrast, the section of the pit I've been sifting in the past, contains mostly square nails and a few Rose Heads.

The results from yesterday were an incredible 2 tine bone handle fork and a paste cufflink with a checkered silver background and a pewter frame with a drilled shank.... and.... a bunch of rose heads! Also countless pottery and earthenware shards. **The broken bone handle fork was from sifting on Sunday 4/17, along with the brass cufflink and CW Washington Arsenal Bullet. I didn't have much time last Sun, so I opened a small pit section and I didn't get enough to post, so I'm including those few items in this post.**

IMG_20160424_165749699.jpg

After 200+ years in the dirt, I gave it a 24 hour preservation transformation! Luckily I have found many iron artifacts with bone handles, so I have honed my preservation process on these sort of items. 1) as dug 2) cleaned with water 3) rubber band the bone and electrolysis overnight 4) Dried and glued broken bone piece and into a mineral oil bath to preserve the bone 5) complete!

IMG_20160424_105322558.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite relics now. Very pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_20160424_105753846.jpg

I got a lot of nice rose heads that I tumbled over night and hot waxed this morning. A nice thimble turned up and another slate pencil. Also that small brass piece with a point I believe is the tip to a bolo tie string.

IMG_20160424_165821050.jpg IMG_20160424_165918167.jpg
IMG_20160424_165926033.jpg IMG_20160424_165935706.jpg

I find lots of teeth in the pit and I usually keep them as long as they're not still in the jaw bone. Its a good cross section to what they were eating and I get lots of pigs teeth and tusks. But this tooth\claw is the BIGGEST one that I've ever seen. It has thin walls and is hallow, which makes me think its a claw to something! Also, that pipe bowl fragment has a horse or a deer on it. Too bad it wasnt complete.

IMG_20160424_170157146.jpg

And the cufflink streak continues. I think I've dug a cufflink in every hunt for the last 5 hunts. (if you count the King Louis button as a cufflink) Its weird how things like this happen and prior to all these links I would get a toasty one from time to time, but never anything as nice as these. The first pit section I opened yesterday contained not a single non-ferrous item, except for the lone pewter paste cufflink, face down in the hard clay bottom of the pit. Its gotten a bit comical for me at this point, but like the copper streak I was on over the winter, this fun is bound to end! (Brass link was from Sun 4/17)

IMG_20160424_170227430.jpg

I was emptying a plug of 5 square nails and I see this thing in the dirt. I couldn't believe it and it appears silver. The pinpinter hardly picks it up and had I not eyeballed it in the dirt, it would have been buried forever.

IMG_20160424_170323659.jpg

Evidently I tried to chop this really cool pewter buckle in half. I get very frustrated when I do that, especially to something this nice. Its flaky, so it got an elmers bath. Its small... knee buckle size, but I don't think that's what it is. Not sure what it was used for.

IMG_20160424_170341295.jpg

While swinging to clear out more nails yesterday, I came across this stirrup fragment. I really like when they're complete, but there's enough of this one left to get a spot in the case. Also a HUGE hand forged iron spike that turned up. Those made it into the electrolysis batch last night and turned out great.

IMG_20160424_170628365.jpg

That pile of nails are the square nails from yesterday. The rose heads were in the first picture. So when I dig nails... I chase them all over. The pottery came from the pit yesterday and were the more colorful pieces that turned up.

IMG_20160424_170659631.jpg IMG_20160424_170651074.jpg IMG_20160424_170646671.jpg

(As a side note, I separated all the nails from the three sifting trips prior to this one. In those three trips I excavated a 10x10 foot pit section and I removed 213 square nails and a couple rose heads. I tumble them all and throw them in storage boxes, but I had never counted to see about how many nails I was removing... just that I come home with a LOT of nails every trip. Something to think about next time you get into an iron patch!)

The Civil War bullet from the pit last Sun turned out to be a Washington Arsenal bullet. The first CW bullet I dug was a Washington Arsenal... and this one is my second.

IMG_20160424_170136605.jpg

These are some other utensils I've dug at this site. This isn't all of them, but as you guys can see I keep getting broken ones. However I was able to practice preserving them, so I knew just what to do when the one turned up yesterday.

IMG_20160421_115406265.jpg

If you made it this far, I'm sorry :laughing7: I know it was a long one, but I was really excited about this fork. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 36

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet saves!! Nice job on preserving. Looks great!

HH, Relic Nut

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad - I think we're gonna have to name your site the "Cutlery and Cufflink" pit :laughing7:. I'm in awe of that amazing restoration job you did on that fork with bone handle. That's one project (and find) that I know you're really proud of. And all these new finds gives you even more reason to be optimistic about other treasures that remain to be recovered there. Great post man!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of artifacts....as usual. I really like that you do conservation on your finds,well done!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad - I think we're gonna have to name your site the "Cutlery and Cufflink" pit :laughing7:. I'm in awe of that amazing restoration job you did on that fork with bone handle. That's one project (and find) that I know you're really proud of. And all these new finds gives you even more reason to be optimistic about other treasures that remain to be recovered there. Great post man!

I can't thank you enough man. I really appreciate the advice and reassurance the other day. As you know, pit digging is very hard work and it is frustrating how pulverized everything always is. And the next pit section that day had this excellent fork nearly intact. While I might have a dozen sifting trips under my belt and learned "what not to do" as I went, I still consider myself a novice with this whole sifting thing... This is the only pit I've ever sifted, so I have nothing to compare it to. So thanks a TON for sharing your knowledge and experience. :occasion14: ... and I almost didn't sift at all yesterday!

I uncover at least one utensil and a button in every pit section. Ha. I moved dozens of pewter utensils out of the case and into storage because there's so much. They sure did discard a lot... and the link streak is rediculious. I'm certain I left stuff in the bottom of the pit sections from last summer because I didn't scrape the clay. Thanks again Bill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet saves!! Nice job on preserving. Looks great!

HH, Relic Nut

Thanks Relic Nut! I was very nervous putting that thing into electrolysis and kept checking on it yesterday and last night. But the bone was pretty solid and it turned out great.

Great bunch of artifacts....as usual. I really like that you do conservation on your finds,well done!

Thanks Villagenut! The preservation is one of my favorite parts of the process. I used to not post the iron because it takes a day to preserve it. But people seem to like it and it's some of my favorite things to find, so when I get home now my items go right into the tank and the nails go right into the tumbler!

Nice bunch of finds congrats

Thanks trapperart!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That fork is cool, congrats!

Surprised the wood handle looks so good...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy, As fantastic as your finds always are your commitment to preserving these amazing items is what impresses me most. You truly love and appreciate every piece you find. You treat every piece with a high level of respect. I am one that understands the time commitment that takes. It's a huge process and undertaking. When you work and have a family that's not an easy thing pull off. That fork is amazing!!!! The links are always a favorite of mine and you are the link king lately. I may need you or Bill or Joey to come up here and help me dig some of these early 1600s pits that I know are at some of my sites. It would be a blast and a real pleasure.
Keep doing what you do buddy. People like you are great for this hobby. Your passion shines through and I for one am a huge fan!!!!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is an awesome relic. You did an awesome job preserving it! Those are some nice buttons too. The Bone handle though looks really nice.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That fork is cool, congrats!

Surprised the wood handle looks so good...

Thanks TRanegar36! The handle is actually bone and it's hit or miss on condition. I find the ones in the clay at the bottom of the pit are the most deteriorated. Probably because the water drains to the clay layer and they sit saturated. This one was suspended a few inches above the clay layer in loamy soil. I have found intact wood handles in the pit, but not as often... and the wood is always very brittle.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Brad. Did you just air dry the fork or did you oven dry it? I'm very intrigued

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, why did you choose mineral oil? Would a polyurethane work on bone??

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, watching this unfold through your texts and come to fruition is an amazing experience. I know you've been really chomping at the bit for a complete utensil so I'm so happy you finally did it. And the restoration is top bloody notch brother.

Abe stole my thought, but screw that, I'll say it again. Your appreciation for old relics is inspirational - Right down to the nails! You're an asset to the hobby and only shine a good light on what we all do. Congrats on the fork, now I dare you to take a bite of something with it! Lol

Cheers

Steve

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey buddy, As fantastic as your finds always are your commitment to preserving these amazing items is what impresses me most. You truly love and appreciate every piece you find. You treat every piece with a high level of respect. I am one that understands the time commitment that takes. It's a huge process and undertaking. When you work and have a family that's not an easy thing pull off. That fork is amazing!!!! The links are always a favorite of mine and you are the link king lately. I may need you or Bill or Joey to come up here and help me dig some of these early 1600s pits that I know are at some of my sites. It would be a blast and a real pleasure.
Keep doing what you do buddy. People like you are great for this hobby. Your passion shines through and I for one am a huge fan!!!!

Joey told me today that he'll be in the Boston area around Halloween so maybe you could twist his arm to drive up for a couple days.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs man:icon_thumright:
Cool Fork and i really like that cufflink.I wonder if that needle is a type of Colonial Bodkin?

~Blaze

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely fantastic write up, you and I think alike. I aspire to be like you in how you think through this hobby!!! You have gone above and beyond in your preservation efforts and I really love reading your posts. Keep it up and HH my friend!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cools finds ! your right pit digging is tough only dug a few myself but had one of the best days detecting ever doing it found 2 coppers in great shape in the pit 1737 and 1743 in the trash now how did that happen? that is some great work your doing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread