"Large Cent Foundation" strikes again!

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a, Troy Shadow X2, White's Coinmaster 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back, my father and i found a colonial home site in the woods. The first hunt didn't yield much but the next 3 did. We found nothing but large cents, dating from 1803-1853. We named it the large cent foundation and really thought we hunted it out. Today (years later), i came back with a friend to give him some cellar hole hunting experience. After about 45 minutes i dug up this 1842 LC. I think we have cleared the place out pretty well but all in all we have found 8 large cents. 1803 (draped bust), 1831, 1837, 1853, 1834 1847, 1846 and then my new 1842 to make an even eight. Goes to show you to keep coming back to the "hunted out" sites. Any advice on safely cleaning this? It's slightly toasted so i have to be careful. Thanks for reading!

IMG_3046[1].JPG IMG_3049[1].JPG IMG_3044[1].JPG

Upvote 15

silver john

Apr 17, 2016
Troy, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO with NEL Storm coil Garrett ATmax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's amazing, have you used the same machine to find all these LCs?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE TO ASK THIS - HAVE YOU JUST HIT AROUND THE FOUNDATION ?
Many guys I know - do just that - just hit around the cellar hole
you have to try dirt road around it - across the street if possible and at least out to 50-100 yards from the hole
you have To realize that those people may have owned 100s if not 1000s of acres back then - I know guys that have found stuff 100s of yrds
from the main holes - ive have found coins many times walking in between 2 cellar holes along with relics along the way - many coins in the roads leading up to and away from cellar holes - you may already do all this - but posting for the new guys that may not

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find,,
It is hard for me to let go of a spot that has been productive in the past. It never ceases to amaze me when I find a nice target in a hunted out spot.
Congrats.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice....and all with different dates!!! You better hurry back and get another!!!

VacantEyesBass

Feb 2, 2016
Western Mass (hampshire county)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice job once again, ceredox. seems like after finding all those other largies that fate should have it that you snag one more.

for the rest of the forum- i went to this site with him yesterday and got skunked, but what i did find was a nice Buck (TM) knife laying in the middle of a trail that he walked right by so it didn't turn out too bad for me either :)

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job once again, ceredox. seems like after finding all those other largies that fate should have it that you snag one more.

for the rest of the forum- i went to this site with him yesterday and got skunked, but what i did find was a nice Buck (TM) knife laying in the middle of a trail that he walked right by so it didn't turn out too bad for me either :)

That's an impressive array of large cents! As far as cleaning them, the only thing that may help that I know of is a LONG soak in olive oil. I've done this with some Indian cents I've found, however large cents are supposedly 100% copper where the Indians are more of a bronze alloy.

Keep scouring that cellar hole! I'm still looking for my first large cent :icon_thumleft:

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible site... keep hitting it! Hopefully you could find a way to cut trees out of your way, or mow the site down/till it up to find more!

OP
OP
C

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing, have you used the same machine to find all these LCs?

Back a few years ago I found the first 4 LC's with my Troy Shadow X2. This time I used my father's old Fisher CZ-6a, which he actually found three of these large cents with. A different operator does make a big difference, strangely enough.

OP
OP
C

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE TO ASK THIS - HAVE YOU JUST HIT AROUND THE FOUNDATION ?
Many guys I know - do just that - just hit around the cellar hole
you have to try dirt road around it - across the street if possible and at least out to 50-100 yards from the hole
you have To realize that those people may have owned 100s if not 1000s of acres back then - I know guys that have found stuff 100s of yrds
from the main holes - ive have found coins many times walking in between 2 cellar holes along with relics along the way - many coins in the roads leading up to and away from cellar holes - you may already do all this - but posting for the new guys that may not

All of these coins were found in what I consider the front yard. I did try around the other spots but came up with nothing. Normally I'll start in front of the house, work the sides and the. Eventually the fields/pasture. Usually you can tell property boundaries by big old trees or stone walls. In many cases, there is still remnants of grass growing. I definitely check everywhere I can on the property. In this case,though, the only finds were in front of the house.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are still very cool coins!

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I very recently asked an expert about cleaning dug coins,I was told to begin by placing the coin in D! water,change the water every day for a week and see where you are at,you can heat the water a little in the microwave but not boiling.

OP
OP
C

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very recently asked an expert about cleaning dug coins,I was told to begin by placing the coin in D! water,change the water every day for a week and see where you are at,you can heat the water a little in the microwave but not boiling.

I'm assuming that "D!" Is a typo lol? I've only run this one through water and picked at it with a toothpick. I haven't even brushed it. Lately I have a ziplock bag of a little water on me that I drop copper coins in when I'm hunting and it seems to work pretty well. I've noticed that if I let them dry, the cake it harder to get off when I get home. My father used to carry a film case with olive oil in it and drop any copper coins in that while he detected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions