MANTLE ROOKIE CARD

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're gonna have a baseball card, thats the one to have. Either that or a Honus Wagner. Nice. Where did you "find" it?

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice...looks in good shape! Someone took care of that one! My bicycle wheel ate mine!

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a reprint, sorry! Hopefully you did not pay very much for that one. I have been collecting MLB and NHL cards for over 35 years now. I have a couple of these that you have posted. My best one (PSA NM-MT 8)
can maybe fetch maybe $200 Canadian, depending on the mood of collectors lol. The corners of your card are severely damaged, reducing the value greatly....​

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
That is a reprint, sorry! Hopefully you did not pay very much for that one. I have been collecting MLB and NHL cards for over 35 years year now. I have a couple of these that you have posted. My best one (PSA NM-MT 8)
can maybe fetch maybe $200 Canadian, depending on the mood of collectors lol. The corners of your card are severely damaged, reducing the value greatly....​

On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of knowledge I'm a 1, so curious what pieces indicate it's a reprint/copy?

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No way...this is the real deal...not a reprint.....i took the CARD to 2 different expert and confirm this is the one......your 35 years aren't enough...study more....

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The expert showed me the difference between a reprint or copy or forged and a genuine card....this is an authentic card for sure........

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've collected cards for a long time too. From what I can tell, it looks real to me. I'd take it to get it graded.and sealed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds of "finding" an authentic 1952 Topps Mantle are very long. Where did you find it? I need more details before I give my opinion on the card.

The card looks real, but I've seen a lot of Mantle cards that are very good counterfeits. Even Mantle cards from the 1960's have been counterfeited. More info on this find, please.

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is type 2 CARD...it has all the requirement, when i took the CARD to the 2nd expert, 3 other collectors was waiting for me...all agreed with out a dought its genuine....

One of the expert is the most renown collector that sells memorabilia, he lives near me and i brought him rare pieces from Time to Time.....100% sure baby

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The expert showed me the difference between a reprint or copy or forged and a genuine card....this is an authentic card for sure........

What did he tell you? Just because some guy owns a card shop doesn't make him an expert on this card. Get it graded by Beckett or PSA and that will tell you if it's real or not.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is type 2 CARD...it has all the requirement, when i took the CARD to the 2nd expert, 3 other collectors was waiting for me...all agreed with out a dought its genuine....

One of the expert is the most renown collector that sells memorabilia, he lives near me and i brought him rare pieces from Time to Time.....100% sure baby

Well, baby, that still means jack squat to anyone who wants this card. I HATE graded cards, but a card this valuable MUST be graded before you sell it. No one in their right mind would spend 5k for a card that has so many counterfeit copies on the market.

Again, where did you find it? Yard sale? Craigslist? Flea market? The devil is in the details...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw Mickey play for the Yanks at the old stadium
He was my hero

I was too young to see him play. I do remember getting his 1969 Topps card and on the back it stated that he had retired! We all thought that was weird to give a retired guy a card, but it was actually a nice tribute to Mickey by Topps.

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow collectors are rough....flea market....dont think all of us are not collectors and post stuff with No knoledge....

I also been collecting for more than 30 years, If i had a single hesitation, i would not post the card waiting collectors Time, what would i gain ?

See my other post, you Will find i get the rare stuff all the Time...

I just sold Lord Stanley's autograph and other rare pieces.....

I got this piece in a collection, full of baseball and football, hockey from the 50's on up to late 70's...

The Man owned at least 2000 autographs...in one book called legends...i Must have at least 50 auto's of the best there is, Frank Robinson, Gretsky, Dryden, Gary Carter,Rocket Richard, ....

1969 deckle edge...3 full set and a lot, i mean a lot of 1970 chemtoys.....

At least 4 sets of 1965 tall boys hockey cards...and on and on.....even have a very old Maurice Richard autographe stick, i am guessing this one is from the EARLY 60's...

With all the stuff in the collection and the scarcity of some of the item, i have No doubt..

One more thing, the expert does not own a sport card shop like you said, he is an auctioneer...a BIG one that would not loose is name...too much in stakes for him, i am sure you understand better

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yard sale, craigslist, flea market, this almost sounds provocative or from bad humor...you Could ask the same question in a poline way and have the same result....we are suppose to have fun in here man....please, enjoy and be positive, treasures are out to be found...

Last edited:

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not mean to offend you Bibitte2, but this card is one of the top counterfeited MLB cards out there. The real deal is still selling for six zeros!!!!. In 1991, Topps massively reprinted this card for a show in Eastern USA, rumor has it that they screwed up massively by only stamping re-print on some of the cards, some of the other reprints had ink issues, (very easy to tell what was reprints just by looking), and the other major problem, a lot of the reprints look authentic. Im at work right now, so I cannot look at my Card Grading and Authentication books, but if I remember, the real deal originals, the blue background is pixel looking or pixelated slightly from the 1950's technology.
I also remember reading, that the creators of those card sets in 1952,1953, put out second sets and they didn't sell at all because of football. They had a warehouse full of all these Mantle originals along with the other players of that year,combined with the second sets in boxes and crates, and they paid to have them hauled away on a boat and dumped in the ocean...........
crybaby2.gif

Yeah my 35 years out of 44 for card collecting are probably not enough, and I might have been a little quick to call your card a reprint (which I regret), but I have seen that same card now twice get discredited at card shows. I am definitely no expert, but I do have a large investment in this hobby and it pays to do your homework!
I hope I am wrong Bibitte2, Good Luck!!

OP
OP
B

bibitte2

Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sound like a collectors message, i love it, we can start having fun again.....i know the complete story on MANTLE..i he en sold the 1950's original printing plates of some of the pictures taken at the Time.....

This CARD is type 2 with the missing pixel in the left upper corner with all the crudentials......bieleve me we spend an hour on it and the microscope tell's it all, paper confirm the date....

copy's had different paper thickness and specs...also, you have to compare with cards from the same era, that also helps, we did that too....

The Maurice Rocket Richard stick Could also be a genuine game used stick, If that would be the case....it would be an incredible find also, he was signing a lot but few original game piece are out, the y kept jersey's and equipment untill No good to save money.....this one Will be checked out this week...

Baseball autographs.....at least 2000 of them with more than 20 balls

Also a lot of football cards from the early 60's...a box full

Vintage program autographed with the game tickets matching....

I Will post pictures this week when some of the stuff is sorted out...see the collectors corner in the other thread....

One of the item in the collection blew my mind....cards...like two inches thick...cards from late 50's to late 70'......all of them autographed in the same album....with some rookies autographed....i am going to have fun the n'est few weeks i can Tell you that.....

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this piece in a collection, full of baseball and football, hockey from the 50's on up to late 70's...

Now that's a different story. I was afraid you bought it on Craigslist as a single card sale. Didn't want to be a weenie, but Craigslist is full of counterfeit cards, coins and designer stuff. The guy probably thought it had little value because of the rough condition, but even in that shape it's worth thousands. Good score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread