James II Tin Farthing and other finds from the colonial watering hole

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father was up for the weekend and we decided to head down to one of the watering holes again. This is his second trip to one and on his last he managed 4 US large cents and nothing else. Well yesterday he did it again. He did not recover a single button or lead musket ball, but he did manage to recover a nice 1600's James II (1680s) Tin farthing with the copper plug. He now has recovered 5 coins in two trips and nothing else...go figure. This is a good coin to find to say the least.

I tried and tried to get over another coin but only found other odds and ends. My total finds five buttons and five musket balls along with other odds and ends (CW era epaulet key, broken early colonial buckle and a unique colonial lead seal "RR" that I know I've seen somewhere before. I obviously know it is a bale or other use seal, but the crest looks familiar (any ideas are welcome).

Two of the buttons were good ones (in my book at least). One was an early (1600s) pewter cast button and the other a 1700's pewter/lead cast star button. When the later came to the surface back first, I swore I was holding another rev war regimental button.

We only were able to get in about 3 hours of searching and the conditions were not ideal (COLD and RAINY). I certainly am ready for the summer to arrive where I can move freely without a wetsuit and also enjoy better tides.

Sorry for the lack of a stool and my better camera...I was lazy on this cold and rainy day.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 15

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some very unique items there Dan. That James II farthing with the copper plug is a coin I've heard of, but never seen one dug here in the US. That RR seal is really cool too as is that star button. I dug one similar to yours this past season but can't remember where. Glad you guys were able to make it out in spite of the conditions. But that's nothing unusual for you ....

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very unique items there Dan. That James II farthing with the copper plug is a coin I've heard of, but never seen one dug here in the US. That RR seal is really cool too as is that star button. I dug one similar to yours this past season but can't remember where. Glad you guys were able to make it out in spite of the conditions. But that's nothing unusual for you ....

Thanks man. I told him when he dug it that he was a lucky dog....was one of the first targets of the day. Hopefully there is another out there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection of goodies! The best part of the hunt is spending time with your Dad. :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s Funny to think that in those days that the small copper plug represented the intrinsic value of the coin.
There are only 2 likely dates, as the other 2 are extremely rare – 1685 & 1686
It’s one of the very few coins we value at a below fine state of ‘Fair’. In EF they book at £3000+
A very rare find here, must equate to an extremely rare one over there!

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homeguardjohn stole the show with the coin but your finds aren't too shabby Dan. I really like the pewter buttons and the lead seal is super cool. I'm with ya, bring on the warmer weather and lower tides so I can get me some of what you're finding [emoji6]

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! :treasurechest::thumbsup:
Poor James II was dethroned in 1688 in the so called "Glorious Revolution".

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That James Farthing is a banner find! Fantastic hunt!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pre-King William coppers in the "New World" are very hard to find. Dan, that watering hole is consistently giving up not only very early items, but very rare items. That pewter looks great and the RR button is totally rad!

Congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre-King William coppers in the "New World" are very hard to find. Dan, that watering hole is consistently giving up not only very early items, but very rare items. That pewter looks great and the RR button is totally rad!

Congrats!
Thanks man, It is certainly one of the rarest coins that he will ever find.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s Funny to think that in those days that the small copper plug represented the intrinsic value of the coin.
There are only 2 likely dates, as the other 2 are extremely rare – 1685 & 1686
It’s one of the very few coins we value at a below fine state of ‘Fair’. In EF they book at £3000+
A very rare find here, most equate to an extremely rare one over there!

Thanks Cru - there will be no chance to get a date off of this one, but as you said, even just being one of the "any" possible dates is rare alone. Lets hope there is a friend out there waiting for me.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, never heard of those before and with tin being considerably more valuable than copper I had to read about them. Seems that they were made to support the tin industry and also make counterfeiting more difficult (counterfeiters quickly learned to use lead heh). It was interesting to learn that many had dates on the edge. I wonder what the value of tin was relative to copper at the end of the 17th century and if such farthings were economical. Anyway, congrats on a very cool discovery!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A rare coin to say the least Dan. Congrats to your dad. That site just keeps on giving, looking forward to your next hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your dads coin is awesome man! I've never heard of that coin, but that's not really saying much :laughing7:... It sure sounds like they don't ever get dug over here in the US... what a find. Those two solid pewter buttons are killer too with some great designs. The RR lead thing is very intriguing and for whatever reason, looks familiar to me. I googled a bit but came up empty, so hopefully someone with some info chimes in. Glad you got out with your dad for a great hunt. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread