Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The park that gave me wheats and buffs on Sunday was my destination for a hunt today.

I headed back to the same area and started off the day with an 1895 Indian head cent, a wheat and a clad dime. I met another detectorist, Eugene, from Fells Point. He has been detecting for about two years. He let me know that he'd found 2 SLQs recently in the area I was detecting. That sounded good to me.

The first silver I found was near the base of a tree and is a childs Sterling ring; it looks Victorian to me, but that's my word for anything "old" looking. Lots of wheats today as well. I made it back eventually to the slope by the trees and dug a 1920 Buffalo, but there was another signal in the hole; it turned out to be the 1899O Barber quarter. This park has been really good to me on Barber quarters; today's was number four or five. Somewhere amongst all the digs I came up with a bottle cap, but there was another signal in the hole and that was the gold-toned ring that is marked "HONG KONG"; this tested out as 18K but it may be plated and I could have been testing the plating. Toward the end of the hunt, as I was circling the area, the 1940 Merc turned up; it was actually in the sidewall and I could just as easily put a gash along it with the shovel. The wheats today numbered 11, with 7 dating from 1914 through 1937. Really like this new shovel from Predator tools; it's good on roots and does not bend! Definitely dug the usual trash: deep iron, pull tabs, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps and steel bottle tops, but I think the good targets had the "upper hand" today.

Thanks for checking out the picks!
Finds.jpg
Thanks for

Last edited:
Upvote 17
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks BagLady! "Nice" was silver x 3 today. Before today's, the last Barber quarter I dug in this park was also paired with a nickel; that time it was a V-nickel.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt today!! Hope there's still more to save, Congrats and Good Luck on more!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks deershed! Looks like my next hunt will be in the woods at Leakin Park. We'll see how that goes; we're hoping for relics and coins. Hope my gps coordinates are right.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very sweet finds! Barber quarter still on my bucket list, as is anything from the 1800's!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks McClod! Swingin' that CTX 3030, you'll break the century barrier. Happy Hunting!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of coins and jewelry too, great hunt man!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging the 12 keepers. :occasion14: Those 5 oldies would make for a great hunt. Where - o - where is my old coin park? :dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir. Nice selection of vintage coins... and that 1800s Barber quarter is really the icing on the cake... thick, rich, icing... ummm...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great hunt !! About the gold ring.hong kong is known for 18k and up.in that culture 18k is for the less wealthy and often very thin walled to make it affordable.I have found two,one looks VERY much like yours,is solid 18k.It may only weigh a couple grams if my guess is correct and is easily reshaped by hand.
good luck

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks bigfoot1! I appreciate that feedback on the ring. Great to find gold...its been awhile.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks pepperdawg! Yes, Baltimore has three large parks that date to the 1800s, so we have generations of foot traffic, people sleeping in the park, etc. All of these have some military connection from Civil War and two date back to the War of 1812 as artillery sites.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Carolina Tom! Mostly hung out in one area and pounded it for hours. Several holes had two or more coins. The hole that had three weeks had me going, thinking the next coin would be silver. Ha!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks diggingthe1! You're right about the "old" dirt. This soil is black and loose, despite being moist. A number of the wheats were down 8 inches.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D! That's the upside to the East Coast metro areas. Colonial to modern should be in the parks. A local detectorist has "coined" one the parks "Walmart". I may be repeating myself on that one, but it does drive home your point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread