More Curb Strips - and First Permission in Colorado!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had a little over an hour to hunt a curb strip in a 1900-1920 era neighborhood before having to drive home. We went to the in-law's house in Pueblo and grilled some fantastic ribs, dogs, and corn to properly celebrate the holiday - it *almost* rained but at least the sun was kept at bay for most of the afternoon....

Second signal that sounded "coinlike" turned out to be a nice 1920 buffalo, and then deeper and a little offset was a 1930 Wheat. I went low and slow once I got the Buffalo, running a 4Khz Reactivity 3 program that is able to nab coins in most cases at the 7" level maximum. The soil is very soft and sandy, but is much more mineralized than other parts of the state. Digging is wonderfully easy, and many times the older coins end up looking very preserved after tumbling.

Pulled a few zincolns out of a small area, and just off to the side I got a higher-pitched 67-69 indication with more than half of the horseshoe shaded. At only 3" deep, I felt a coin at the bottom of the hole, and then saw a green wreath looking back at me. This would be the oldest coin for the weekend, a nice 1887 Indian that tumbled into a handsome example except for a couple pits on the obverse. Went on to find another couple of shallow Wheats before the better half ended my fun by driving up and blowing the horn, signaling the end of the day :whip2:

SAM_2618.JPG SAM_2619.JPG

Today however I had most of the daylight hours to pick up where I'd left off, and hopefully get permission to hit some virgin ground in the neighborhood. Started hunting where I got the Indian, and pretty quickly came across a 5" Wheat dated 1929 S after about 10 minutes. The next old coin wouldn't surface for another 3 hours :tongue3: and when it did I was surprised! Pulled a 1941 Merc from 120 feet further down the curb strip after digging loads of aluminum, zinc pennies, deep iron nails of various sizes, and assorted foil at various depths. Right next to the Merc I pulled a Wheat....and then had my eyes on a house across the street that had just been mowed....

I waited for who I thought was the owner to come around the front of the house so I could approach him. Finally, he came around to take some items to the curb...and started talking to him. I wasn't in any hurry to get started so he and I talked for a few minutes about the hobby. He was taking care of the house for his brother who lived elsewhere, and always wanted to "start detecting" but never picked up a machine to try it out. I suggested a few beginner models - and that's when I interjected and said "Let me show you how it works!" I took off the phones and set the speaker to "ON" - was in Full Tones and 4Khz. I passed a nickel, penny, and quarter in front of the coil and he noticed the different tones - a quick way to guesstimate what you have the coil over before digging. Showed him the difference between the little pops and squeaks from iron vs a coin signal, and he seemed to start to get the idea.

Three swings in I had a 1940 Wheat at 3" deep. It was on! Five feet away came another Wheat, this one dated 1935 S. A few feet further and I got a funny longer signal which turned out to be 2 war nickels and 1 Wheat in the same hole. After a few minutes he came around the front again and I showed him what I'd found already....he then became a little reticent of me pulling up all the goodies in his brother's yard and wanted me to stop :laughing7: I convinced him to let me finish the first half, and I'm glad I did...got a solid 84-85 indication at less than 2" deep and much to my surprise a 1942 Washington rolls out of the hole! I really thought it was going to be a clad quarter at that depth - but you just don't ever know! Last coin was a 1929 S Wheat, and a foot to the side of it was a folded Colorado tax token.

SAM_2616.JPG SAM_2617.JPG SAM_2615.JPG SAM_2616.JPG

At the end of the hunt I layed out everything for the roundup photo on his porch. I had promised him half of what I found in his yard - and much to my surprise he only wanted two Wheats! :laughing7: I thanked him and ended up in a park, which was where I found some more clad, a junker ring that got me excited for a second or two, and a couple other tidbits.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great finds! You had a better weekend than I did. Congrats!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice big score of silver - nickel - copper & other relics "CONGRATS" on your finds and thanks for sharing the pictures and details of your finds. Keep up the good work & I wish you many more while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoot I missed this post. Taylor you had a great hunt! Sometimes it's not best to boast about what you found to owner of the property.

tabman

raxxter

Sep 5, 2016
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites Spectrum Eagle + Bigfoot coil
Whites Eagle SL II
Whites Classic ID
Whites 6000 DI Pro SL
Teknetics Omega 8500
Tesoro Bandido II
Tesoro Inca
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you get permission to hunt the curb strips, or are they public property in Colorado Springs?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LIKE THE OLE DOG TAGS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread