Best find of the day and had to give it away!!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the largest city park in Charlotte, N.C. and had spent most of the morning hunting the lawn seats where they show movies once a week. I usually find enough change to buy a 32oz drink and a pack of crackers, and get a lot of excercise. So, anyhoo, When I got ready to go back to the car and wrap it up for the day, I decided to stop by the swings and kids climbing area. I was digging a few dimes nickels and pennies when these little fellows that were with their moms came walking over. I gave them the usual speal on what I was doing, and that it was fun, and asked if they wanted to help? I told them whatever change they dug while we were hunting there they could keep. They agreed and followed me around the play area. I was hitting a lot of pennies and hairbands when I got a really good "ping" about 6 inches deep. One of the boys dove in and popped out a sterling silver Lilly Pulitzer pendant that weighed about an ounce. Running over to his mother he was shouting "Wow mommy, look what I found with the metal detector man!!" The mom looked at it and with with South Charlotte mom amazement, she exclaimed "Why that's like the one daddy bought mommy at Seabrook Island last year, he paid a lot of money for it!!" "Well, here, now you have two!" was the boys reply. And with not so much as a "thank the nice sweaty man", or "oh, you should give that back", she opened her Prada hand bag, dropped it in and continued talking to her identical friend Muffy about where they were going to spend too much money eating lunch.
The kid did seem pretty excited though, maybe after he retires someday from being a lawyer or doctor like "dad-dy" he'll remember the fun and get himself a detector. ;)

Ramapirate

Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
LOL!

Oh well...easy come, easy go!
;D

"South Charlotte mom amazement" lol.

Some people just have no manners. ;)

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
That sucks. I had a little boy following me around yesterday at one tot lot. As soon as I got a signal he was down on the ground digging with a stick. I had to be quick to beat him to the coin. If I dug a ring or something valuable I probably would have had to break his little fingers. LOL. Sometimes I think its lots better to ignore the little buggers, pretend you can't hear them when they say something. Better luck next time.

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need to start wearing headphones, then the "I can't hear you!" ploy would work.

Ramapirate

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Bummer. The kid should have got it! Oh well, I guess you cant expect for her to treat her son any different then her husband when it come to who gets the gold/silver/jewelry in that house LOL

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Spoiled absolutely to the point of obnoxiously rude. Something I abhor about as much as a thief or liar.....I would have walked up and said, "Excuse me, but I dont mind the kids keeping a bit of change , however I would appreciate THAT back. I am not out here just for my health ya know."
I don't mean to come off as rude, but I WOULD Have walked away with that ounce of silver!
~Nash~

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I may let the kids get the coins, but all jewelry is mine. That is,unless I'm dating their mom.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
When I'm on the beaches, I always carry some costume jewelry...some of it actually looks real. And, wearing headphones is Rule #1. When I have some pesky kids, I will quickly drop or plant a fake earring or broach...give it to the kids...and they're gone.

However, there are some kids that I give them the fake pieces because of the look in their eyes.............they conjure up fantasies of pirates and treasure chests. It's kind of neat to see them using their imagination for something other than I-Pods and whatever.
--Mel

borninok

R

RUDY2003

Thats why I try to stay away from the kids and their moms....

Keep safe...

rickyinms

Jun 23, 2007
east central Ms
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
ramapirate i commend you on your thoughtfulness to the kids. you probably made their day. i dont agree with the mothers actions but on day she will get hers. just as i imagine you will get yours. maybe the next ping you hear will be gold and all yours.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I also carry spare pennies (zinc ones) that I have dug and I keep one in my hand while digging that way if I dig up a wheat I can drop the zinc one into the hole and say wow two in one hole, I keep the wheat and the kid gets the zinc. And I really don't think I am cheating too much since the coin they get to keep was actually found with my machine. I haven't had the problem of digging any silver and having kids nearby I don't know what I will do if that happens.

I will start carrying a few junk costume jewelry items and try that out as well.

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
That is the one thing I don't like about the hobby. The last time I went to a park a woman and her kid shows up. Kid runs over and says what are you doing? I said I am walking to my truck and going home. I try to go when no-one is around but it seems impossible sometimes. I like kids but I don't do this for aggravation. I am amazed how guardians let there kids bother you and chase you around, of course as my wife always says. That kid is gonna have his picture on a milk carton! :D :D

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I AGREE WITH NASH I WOULD HAVE GOT THAT BACK. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, gotta luv the manner less people these days....

I stopped going to one park because of a kid that lives next to it. Every time I was there, he comes outs and follows me around saying that I won't find anything, and when I do find coins, he jumps right in and trys to grab it, saying it was his and he lost it yesterday.... I want to shove my foot so far up his you know what....

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At parks a big machete in your hand will keep parents and kids away. ;) If you have one in your hand and walk up to the lady. Just hold your hand out some times you get more than the jewellery. ::)
Burdie

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ram,
It must be that Southern charm of yours? ;D That sucks Dude! I've always been afraid of that happening to me too. You find a ring and the kid takes it. What do you do, tackle him? ???
So far I've only had to give the kids clad. I've learned to turn the kids onto Ridley when we're MDing the playgrounds. I tell them, "that guy over there has a better metal detector, and he finds all of the GOOD stuff". It works every time. Just ask Ridley. ;D
Congrats on your find anyways,
MM

ghostrider1775

Dec 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI/ Grand Master Hunter CX3
That's a shame!!! My favorite line to kids if they come nosing aroud is" Dont talk to me I am a stranger" That usually works. Better luck next time.

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like Nash's reply to my post. Nashoba, you are always articulate and to the point.
My aunt always says "Dogs is dogs and kids is kids." Meaning they are what they are, and that's about all you're gonna get out of them. I hate that I didn't have my big "Ramboesque" knife digger with me, that little item really keeps down on the "help" I recieve when I'm mding. I had a new digger I bought on the way to the beach that's sharp as a razor but not nearly as imposing, that I was using. The grass at that park is zoyza (I'm sure that is not the spelling) and cutting plugs is a little tricky, but the new tool seems to do the trick.
Now where did I put that battleaxe/digger?

Ramapirate

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cottonjim said:
Well I doo declare, how rude!!!!! ;)

HAHA! My thought's exackly! :D Only I may have added 'how teeeerbly rude'. :D

Sounds like that find was a good 'un though! :)

Nana ;)

OH...and shame on you MM! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread