almost bitten

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
So I look on an old map and find out there used to be a train station from the 1800's, closed in 1946, in the town I grew up in that I remember as a small triangle patch of trees and overgrowth. Great! A place to detect.
So I get there and right away, my battery is dead so I decide to just check out the site visually and there's a couple of badly worn and corroded pennies just on the surface by the biggest oaks. I go alittle farther into the wooded area and Im digging around an old tree and I hear a russle in the bushes on my right and what do I see?
A PitBull coming right at me! :o Talk about going from 0 to 90 in .23 seconds! I jump up with my new shiny, sharp digger and take off around the tree and those nature channels sure help 'cause I remembered that if I run, the dog will see me as fleeing prey and chase, so I stop dead and turn around to face this beast with digger in hand and tell it, "I WILL stab you with this"!
The dog stops short and it's a classic stand off in the middle of a huge city, in a small wooded patch all of 30 feet, noone can see me, just me, the pit and nature and Im thinking "this is it", of all the places, Im going to get into a fight to the death in the neighborhood park. I am shaking and we are looking at each other eye to eye. Im trying my best not to look scared and I hear off in the distance.."Jamie!, bad dog, where are you?"
THANK GOD the dogs ears perked back and he seemed to come to his senses and realized he was doing something wrong. He sniffed the ground and walk a circle around me and ran off!
Shaken, I popped outta the woods and left with a few pennies, a plastic button and all of my body parts intact.
This hobby can sure be an adventure. I think Im going to look into some kind of dog repellent or pepperspray the next time I go into any woods after some treasure.

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dog run up behind me and take a bite but lucky for me it was cold at the time and I had on winter gear. It was a bit scary at the time.

R

RUDY2003

Funny story Kut!
I think pitbull dogs should be banned.
They are very dangerous....

Keep safe...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ever seen those small cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoot a stream for 30 feet? Well that is what my grandmother always carried on her walks. It WILL stop a raging pit bull. YES it is very damaging, but so are the vice-like jaws of a primitive pit bull. If you feel bad about blinding a worthless dog while protecting yourself then finish it off with your spade while it is blindly rubbing its face on the ground. While your adrenaline is still pumping look around for the real guilty party, the irresponsible owner. Maybe they will threaten you from 30' away as well and you can further make the world a better place to live. Then look forward to a satisfying sleep that night knowing that you made a difference. ;)

PLUMB50

Apr 10, 2007
MANASSAS VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250.whites blue &gray. metrotect.
That reminds me of a story that happened about 25 years ago. I was hunting on a friend of mine property. it was in the spring but still a little cool in the mornings. I was with my friend Johnny hunting for Civil War relics. we took the whole week off because we found a super site that were giving up a lot of buckles and bullets buttons. mix of Union and Conf. real near a battlefield. just before we put our headphones on,Johnny looked at me in a funny kind of way and said"think we need to worry about snakes? " I said" come on John. it's to early in the season for that and way to cool". as I took a step around and put my head phone on, I heard the biggest scream. Johnny started running and left his detecter on the ground. I looked down and I had stepped on a black snake .it wrapped around my right leg.I fell to the ground kicking my leg to get the snake off and screaming like a little girl. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. took about 2 hours to get over that. I don't think Johnny ever got over it. we still laugh about that to this day! ;D....Doug

Attachments

• ea_swbp1.jpg
    ea_swbp1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 874

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I was detecting a soccer field at night last week. While kneeling on the ground digging a target I sensed a presence. When I looked up there were two huge dear about 10 ft away.
My brain didn't even have time to process what I was seeing before they casually walked away into the nearby woods.

You would think parks and schools are devoid of such creatures. I keep my eye out for the two legged night life. Those can be the most dangerous!

Ridley

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . so I stop dead and turn around to face this beast with digger in hand and tell it, "I WILL stab you with this"!

Glad it worked out for you, but a simple "NO!" in as loud a deep voice as you can muster will generally work unless the dog is attack trained or flipped out (hunger, rabies, etc).

EVERY domestic dog remembers that short and distinctive word from puppyhood.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!

Please note that a Lesche digging tool used as a defense mechanism is very appropriate for such an occasion.

------------------ print and place on detector ---------cut here -----------------------cut here----------------

(1) Step one: Withdraw tool from holster.
(2) Step two: Maneuver tool between subject and pitbull.
(3) Step three: Administer verbal warning to pitbull (if time permits)
(4) Step four: Thrust edge of tool at neck area of pitbull while keeping other body parts away from jaws (if possible)
(5) Step five: Use digging tool to bury carcass.
(6) Step six: Notify owner (optional)
(7) Step seven: Soiled Clothes: Machine wash warm (colors) or hot (white) with the laundry detergent of choice. Tumble dry.

Order of steps are vital to your success. Practice until you demonstrate good form...

------------------ print and place on detector ---------cut here -----------------------cut here----------------

HH from M2

Attachments

• tacobell.gif
    tacobell.gif
    17 KB · Views: 1,530

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting last summer. My T-Shirt had pulled out of may pants as I was digging a deep, but good target. Just as I see the coin (1904 Indian Head) I felt a cold nose on my Lower exposed Back!? . I jumped and spun for all I was worth only to find a friendly Collie waging her tail. It took quite a few minutes for my breathing and pulse to return to near normal. She accompanied me the rest of the day. Nice dog, but I wish She would have introduced herself differently.

Ed D.

anteater

Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Beach Magnet, Compass Magnum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join the club, dude. I too have looked into the eyes of a pit bull at close range, and you will never forget it. I am not saying that all pit bulls are mean and nasty, but there is no fear in their eyes. Scary experience.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pit bulls should never be of a leash I think you have had a lucky escape :-\

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Quantrill33 said:
They say to not make eye contact with a potentially aggressive dog because they perceive a returned stare as a threat.

Q
If you look away you are admitting to the dog that it is in control. F-that. You should have given the dog owner a stern command or two. I don't carry a gun, but I do keep a smith and wesson knife at my side. And I can get it off my pocket and blade out very fast. Never encountered a dog while MDing, but I have it out and in hand if I go into an old abandoned house. There could be bad animals OR people in the house. And the knife doesn't need a permit of 7-day cooling period.

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
WOW, i am amazed at everyone's dislike for the pitbull, i have personally never ownded oned but have some friends that do and even my brother and i can tell you they can be some of the sweetest nicest dogs you ever met, my brothers dog wouldnt bite you if you came into his house unannounced, worse guard dog you ever met but loves everyone, i honestly dont think she would bit someone if her life depended on it,she will even let kids RIDE her! never met a kinder dog, my one friend who has two, they can be protective of his yard but if he lets you in they are gentle as can be but how many dogs do you know that arent protective of there property??? another friend has rotweillers, has ALWAYS had rotweillers and I have never even seen them bark, i have only known the last two but he said he had never had a mean one. know a farmer with 2 pitbulls, nicest dogs you ever met...they get there bad names from BAD owners in most cases, i am not saying some of them cant be just bad dogs with bad blood but in most cases it is the OWNER, there are bad and aggresive dogs in EVERY breed.

Not giving anyone a hard time but before you go and think about KILLING a pitbull I hope you know it is aggressive

Attachments

• DSC00112.jpg
    DSC00112.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,260
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,248
T

TreasureTales

RW said:
Ever seen those small cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoot a stream for 30 feet? Well that is what my grandmother always carried on her walks. It WILL stop a raging pit bull. YES it is very damaging, but so are the vice-like jaws of a primitive pit bull. If you feel bad about blinding a worthless dog while protecting yourself then finish it off with your spade while it is blindly rubbing its face on the ground. While your adrenaline is still pumping look around for the real guilty party, the irresponsible owner. Maybe they will threaten you from 30' away as well and you can further make the world a better place to live. Then look forward to a satisfying sleep that night knowing that you made a difference. ;)

I so totally agree with everything you said.

I'd try the wasp spray because the dog spray is rather wimpy. Get the right kind, though, the dielectric stuff with the thick oil that shoots 20 feet.

http://www.interstateproducts.com/wasp_killer.htm Maybe something like this stuff, for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread