More Deep Goodies...

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was excited to get to hunt yesterday after practicing with the non-motion audio disc modes lately...but after about an hour of hunting in this mode I decided to go back to using the 4khz and 12khz programs together to help ID the deep hits....I even planted a few coins to get the audio disc "in tune" and now have forgotten where I put them :crylol: but I'm sure they will turn up over time!

Next hunt I will try a different method of non-motion hunting to see if it's any more sensitive and stable....I still believe there are deeper coins at this site that are just out of reach at the moment and maybe a software update away... maybe even getting the 11" coil would be able to eke out a few more....but currently I'm loving how well this 9" coil is working at depth! :clapping:

Yesterday started off kinda slow, digging some foil balls that 12khz seemed to jump on while 4khz didn't respond as well to them. Got a few deep nails as well but finally got over a hit in 12khz that sounded a little higher than the others, and checking in 4khz this signal had a lot of the same characteristics. First coin was a 1919 S Wheat at about 8" in an area that's been heavily scoured since day one....

After digging exactly one coin between the both of us, Mike and I decided to head to a different park that has also given up some older goods. About 15-20 minutes after getting out of the car, I got over a good "coin-ish" signal and decided to try the non-motion method on it - and the audio stayed very consistent - a BIG departure from previous signals. Got down to the 8" level and waved a handful of dirt in front of the coil, expecting to hear a nickel...but it was too high-pitched for that and ended up being a 1916 D Wheat. Pocketed that little gem and not 5 feet away, an almost identical signal ended up being an almost identical coin...another 1916 D Wheat turned up at 7" this time!

Two deep coins inside of a ten-foot square will ALWAYS slow me down and force me to investigate every little blip looking for more. Pulled a few foil balls in a row, and then a little squeak of a signal stopped me cold. I got a smooth, whiny hit that liked to break up in one direction, but a cross-scan indicated a smooth, unbroken coin hit. I knew it was silver before digging, but i didn't do any type of non-motion testing on it due to the excitement lol. Again, from that magic 8" level, I saw the silver rim but didn't see the mintmark until running it under water.

This is the fourth "S" mint silver coin to come out of this site in two week's time...Mike has scored a lovely pair of Barber dimes dated 1893 S and 1898 S while I pulled an 1894 S Barber quarter last week, and now this 1902 S dime. Mike also pulled a very sharp 1921 D Mercury dime a couple months ago, and both of us pull older "S" mint Wheats often...it's only a matter of time before one of us get a rare, "S" mint Barber coin or maybe the find of a lifetime - the coveted gold coin!

Last coin of the day was a little unusual - I walked into a store to get some water, looked down and saw a Memorial all by itself and thought "I don't have to dig this one!" Was bumfuzzled to see a 1962 Memorial in almost mint condition - it may be worth 25 cents in that condition LOLOLOL but odds of it being 54 years old in such good shape are really not in my favor!

Next hunt it's Mike's turn to pull some silver and to try to keep the "S" mint silver streak alive! :clapping:

SAM_2709.JPG SAM_2710.JPG SAM_2707.JPG SAM_2708.JPG

Upvote 7

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That works. Nice dime and wheats. Congrats.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your bodacious old coinage finds - Barber coins are simply good looking and thank you for sharing pictures of your finds and story with us, wish you many more while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds,, always good to come home with silver.
The Barber is sweet.
Thanks for posting the trash photo. Sometimes you have to dig the trash to get to the good stuff.
Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread