Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I packed up the bike and headed for a park in an outer borough. I could have hit the water to escape the heat but I try to avoid the beach hunting on the weekends. The water temps are close to 70 degrees, drawing bigger crowds, and the kids are out of control. Good reasons to do a little dirt fishing instead.
It was pretty hot but I find that it is the humidity that gets to me. I tried to stick to the tree line to stay out of the sun. The park started to fill up around 11 A.M. Everyone was staking out a claim in the shade of the older tall timbers.

Most of us can readily identify some of the "Yesteryear Finds" that I made. I think the rusted Church Key is probably the most missed item from years gone by. Especially since it led to the development and widespread use of the pull tab. It was a warm sunny day back in the 60's, when an engineer / machinist, discovered that he had left his can opener at home. That led him to think about developing a self opening can. The rest is history and we have been chasing gold signals ever since.

Another relic is the badly rusted JACK. It was a popular game, usually played by girls back in the 50's and 60's. This game goes much further back,, way back,, and was played all over the world.
www.toyhalloffame.org > toys > jacks

The little "L" was probably a faceplate for a ring. The scripted "L" made me think of the TV show; LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY.
I also recovered a rusted out pocket knife that is probably 50 to 75 years old. They were pretty common back in the day.
My favorite relic to surface was the 1906 Indian Head Penny.

My finds for the hot, humid, dry soil day were: 22q, 19d, 10n, 15 memorial pennies, 7 wheat pennies, (35d, 40, 41, 44(2), 57d, and one that is toasted), and the 1906 Indian Head Penny. A total of 74 coins and some outlandish amounts of trash. I think the dry soil played tricks on my concentration and fooled the DEUS.

IMG_4491.JPG IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4494.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Solid hunt as always! :occasion14:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bodacious boat load of coins - rusted jack (hey I remember stepping on a couple bare foot) - rusted pocket knife & metal trash "congrats" on your finds. Thanks again for sharing & wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing - stay hydrated my friend while out in the heat of the day.

Texas ED

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice write up! I like the church key/pull tab info. Looks like a nice day, nice motorcycle also!! Congrats and HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Indian and the wheats. :occasion14: Looks like you're hunting with an XP Dyson. :tongue3: You sure aren't going to miss any gold since it appears that you dig all mid tones.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, looked like the beamer jammed you in there on the parking. My Deus loves finding Indians, just like me.
Nice finds

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, looked like the beamer jammed you in there on the parking. My Deus loves finding Indians, just like me.
Nice finds

I don't know if it was the dry soil or maybe the heat.
On my DEUS,, an 84 is a perfect IHP signal.
If that signal is deep,, I'm going after it. I kept getting deep 84's. I ended up digging 15 Semi-eaten Zincolns.
The DEUS said they were deep but most were around 4 inches. That doesn't happen often but this time I was fooled.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, with a very nice narrative to go with it! Haven't seen a jack in some time. The .22 casing looks a little out of place amongst the other finds. Surprised to see that, but I'm sure that at some point in the distant past squirrel hunting was still allowed! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be exhausted thats a lot of digging!

Congrats on a ton of clad. Wheats, a fine looking IH!

Ya i've been getting some strange readings in dry ground. I had zincs and once a quarter read as bottle cap. ???

I hope all those people brought lots of coins and jewelry to deposit in your "bank". :D

In really hot weather I wrap one of those small. Ice packs in a bandanna and tie it on the back of my neck. Lets me hunt a little longer before becoming toast!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread