1467156992335.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 11

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
My father has an 8" practice howizter round that was given to him as a battery commander while in the military. (10" wide and close to 2 feet tall) As a kid, we had to Polish it every time we got in trouble. Apparently, my parents agreed that whomever had to polish it the most, inherited it. I got in trouble a lot. The round is apparently mine to continue polishing. LOL

It's surprising the number of people who look at it, and immediately state (even after being TOLD what it is), "I'd never have that thing in my house, it's too dangerous." Just baffles us. It's 250 pounds of brass in the shape of a bullet. People look at it and immediately assume it could "go off" any minute. The only danger it poses is if it tips over on your foot.

It's like saying keeping a gun in the house is dangerous, even if there are no bullets for it. Silly... just emotional response... just SILLY. It's brass in the shape of a large round. That's it! Even when explained, people will comment that they think it's "unsafe." Just boggles my mind.

Education is important folks. And when you get the facts, don't ignore them. Bullets don't magically "explode" simply due to time. The odds of that primer even WORKING in that condition is remote to start with. And even when they're intentionally ignited outside of the gun/rifle chamber, they're really not that dangerous. Some of you are going to call BS on this. I'm going to now offer you a bit of an education. Believe or don't. Reality is not affected by the number of people who refuse to accept it. :)

If you believe that cooked off bullets shoot out from every direction, as from a gun, you've been watching HOLLYWOOD. You may also believe that being shot by a 9mm round will lift you off the ground and throw you backwards by 5-10 feet. You also may believe that you can hear the gunshot and "Duck" out of the way of a bullet from 300 yards away. These are all movie "facts" not based in reality.

If you have ANY doubts about the validity of the claim that ammunition that "explodes" poses little to no danger, please watch the following video (Start at 2:20 to start seeing what happens).
A 12-guage shotgun shell fired when it is not chambered... it doesn't even penetrate 200lb fiberboard (standard CARDBOARD) at 7"! It just superficially marks it. This means that shotgun round that you drop and under the rare rare rare possibility where it magically drops directly onto a firing pin, and accidentally goes off isn't even going to penetrate your JEANS.

[video=youtube;3SlOXowwC4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC :(

Very good video. Thanks for posting. It confirms what I've been telling people for years. When I was a young man deer hunting, drinking around the fire at night there was always a stray bullet or two that would get accidentally raked into the fire. It would make everyone jump but that's about it.

It almost made me cry watching all that ammo being destroyed!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
You completely lost me. WHY is a bullet dangerous. Even if it was in a fire it would just explode like a firecracker. A loud one mind you.

I was a cop for 9 years and I have handled and shot thousands and thousands of bullets. Maybe you wouldn't like the 100lb WW1 bombs I have in my house? Or the guns I have found underwater?

And how much of that was unstable expired UXO that fell under lot numbers for contamination leaks.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting you should say plane mounted. This is how I think mine got into random fields around the WWII airbases.(not that near, sometimes miles)

However, someone recently stated that couldn't happen.

OPEN QUESTION - How did these fall out of planes? (I never get them in belts, only in 1s, or 2s, or upto 5 or so in a field.

You know my posts, we dig them by the dozend here almost every hunt, randomly there are live ones too. My guess is that the gunner worked the slide when the bomber become airborne to prepare for the raid or unloading close to landing when they came back, or in my case here, the gun was jammed or just nerviness. The round will fall down the casing channel out of the plane. (You don't want to have hundreds of casings rolling around in a plane, that's why the guns spit the casings out of the airframe)

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that type of thing hanging around the house makes some people nervous.

Husband is pretty much unfazed by my collection.

shell.jpg

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that type of thing hanging around the house makes some people nervous.

Husband is pretty much unfazed by my collection.

:icon_thumleft: Nice to have one with the ballistic cap on. In dug condition the cap is usually missing.

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Nice to have one with the ballistic cap on. In dug condition the cap is usually missing.

That one was found treasure hunting at the flea market by my father and I.

We both agreed it was too cool to pass up.

My dad actually knew someone that had a (inert/de-fused) bomb from around the 40's sitting in his backyard. He offered it to us, but by the time we actually found someone with a flatbed and the ability to haul it...and talked mom into it...it was claimed.

The game plan was to put it in the front yard, paint it a lively color, and find a saddle for it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That one was found treasure hunting at the flea market by my father and I.

We both agreed it was too cool to pass up.

My dad actually knew someone that had a (inert/de-fused) bomb from around the 40's sitting in his backyard. He offered it to us, but by the time we actually found someone with a flatbed and the ability to haul it...and talked mom into it...it was claimed.

The game plan was to put it in the front yard, paint it a lively color, and find a saddle for it.

Now that would be a cool yard deco item to have.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Absolutely!

There you are sitting quietly on the couch when one of these bad boys rolls itself across the living room floor and explodes destroying the TV while enjoying Honey Bo-Bo reruns and tofu rice cakes...

Dangerous they are~

IMPOSSIBLE.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few different bullets over the years. I have a separate drawer just for the storage of bullets.
I wonder if a gun shop would offer the price of a coffee for those.

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scatter some of the powder, (about 10 grains) into an ash tray.

Had a guy do this all the time years ago at work. He'd fill every ashtray with blackpowder, covering it with ashes. Got to admit it's quite humorous. But he'd really load them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread