Digging in NC with Carolina Tom and Other Fellow Tnetters

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I finally found the time to post my finds from the weekend in Charlotte NC and Galax VA. :thumbsup:

We had a great time as a large group hunting multiple sites on Saturday. Never a dull moment with those guys. :laughing7: At the 1st site (a mid 1900's mansion) I pulled a few keepers (a no date) Buffalo nickel, a medicine bottle, a 1944 wheat, and the skeleton key piece. :thumbsup: Later that day at the 2nd site, I pulled, an old heart pin with cupid's arrow in it. :thumbsup: Finally at the 3rd site I pulled the vintage Pepsi bottle :thumbsup: and a heart stopper. :hello2: At first I thought I dug a trime due to the size of the find. After a little cleaning it turned out to be a toy coin with a date 1792. :icon_thumright: I know it's not that old, but it's the only play money I dug with a date.

On Sunday Tom and I drove around and hit about 4 more sites. At the 1st site a got a big hit showing a 91 VDI, I thought for certain I was going to dig a big silver, but to no avail. :BangHead: It was the meter cover in one of the pics below. We then went to an older school (site 2), where I dug the cool bus pin and the funky tiger piece. :hello2: We met up with Patch and Smittyman at the 3rd site where I dug a 1910 wheatie (hey it's over 100 hears old). :icon_thumright: At the 4th site, where Tom napped, I decided to hunt a path leading from the development to the sidewalk on the main road. I got a signal and ended up digging all the pennies (that are in the pic with the keys). Somehow I believe that Eastcoasthunter21 snuck down overnight and planted the 168 cents. They were in a 2' x 2' area and just under the surface. I had to dig them all, hoping for an older wheatie. (He's threatened to do that to me). You know I just can't turn down free money. It's the largest spill (coin count) that I've ever dug.

NC Notable Finds

20160628_193157.jpg

2 pics of all my NC finds

20160628_192923.jpg 20160628_192945.jpg

On Monday I went to the park in Galax thinking I'd have plenty of surface finds from the Fireman's picnic/carnival that ended Saturday evening. I recon someone hit the site pretty well on Sunday, and when I arrived on Monday it was already being hunted by someone swinging an AT Pro. I was also stopped by another gentleman who has pounded this park for the past 20 years. At first I thought he was a park employee wanting to harass me, but he turned out to be a great guy. I only found 68 cents, most were surface finds. I then got permission to hunt a small house built in the 20's. I only pulled 4 memorial pennies, the lock, a bent spoon, and a lens for a camera. I then went to the old school in town and hunted it until the storms rolled in. I left the school with $0.91 in my pouch.

Galax VA Finds

20160628_190800.jpg

I have hunted with many great guys that I met here on Tnet. Tnet is an awesome community and who else better to hunt with than others obsessed with the passion for digging coins and old stuff. 8-)

I want to give a special thanks to Carolina Tom for allowing me to stay at his home over the weekend and for showing me some good ole southern hospitality. :notworthy: He's a hoot to hunt with and I must say he's not short on words.

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH

Upvote 23

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing this nice story and your finds! TNET community is really cool! Congrats and HH

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like my kind of party. Wonderful friends and finds just can't be beat. I can't wait to meet in person a lot of this community. Congrats on someone amazing fellowship.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trip LD!! Great finds and Great friends. Don't get much better than that. This hobby pay's off in many ways. Thanks for sharing your trip [emoji106] [emoji482]

HH RN

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like an amazing hunt with lots of good people- Congrats to all for making it happen!!

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, a lot of keepers from multiple places, congratulations! :occasion14:

Thank you sharing the story.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you ever come down this way let me know.m cool time you had and some good finds cant beat that.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "Loco" tag must have more to do with locomotion than an attitude..........you sure packed in a lot of mileage in a short time frame..........and made the most of the opportunities!! Looks (from Carolina Tom's thread and yours) like a good time was had by all............in camaraderie and hunting!!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened Loco , it seems you missed 32cents I thought I tossed 2$
Yes Tom is great fun and we had a blast when we hunted with him too
Great finds and yes obsessed is the right word
I was out today in the heat and bramble. Hh gl.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If I hadn't been in Battlecreek meeting Limitool & Releventchair, I'd have certainly been out with ya'll. Galax for one is only about 90 minutes from me (due to the danged country roads!), over the mountains from here. Sounds like you guys got a whole tribe together. Looked like a weekend of TNet members meeting face to face.

huntnva

Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My family is from Galax, love it there. Thanks for sharing!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great heart pin and Pepsi bottle. Sounds like you had one heck of a trip.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See, you're politically correct. You say he is not short on words. I say he never shuts up. To be honest I don't think I would like him as much if he wasn't so talkative. No write home treasures, but knowing the guys you were with I know it was fun.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Diggin bro. Great to hear you had a blast with the good ol boys down yonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread