Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A post-work hunt takes an unforeseen turn...

I left work at 4PM and headed to the city for one last hunt at the park I've been hitting hard since leaving Patterson behind. Keep in mind that I've "pounded" this section and it has seen the coils of others too.

I had been detecting for almost two hours and just not a single good target had surfaced, only a marble and a small button, but many a square nail had been dug. I was starting to think that this may be my turn to be "skunked", as Loco-Digger put it recently in a post. I turned my attention to the area near an old oak tree where older silver, wheats and Indians had been taken. This was not a mistake. Got a strong signal and dug it despite thinking the strident tone meant shallow clad...not so...it was a 1906 V-nickel. Stayed in this area and dug a repeatable tone and at the bottom of the hole, about 7 inches down, there was a piece of cylindrical graphite. I've found this in every city park I've hunted and I think it may come from old batteries; these pieces always give a faint high-tone, easily mistaken for a good target. I re-checked the hole and found a strong signal directly beneath where the graphite lay. This turned out to be an 1875 IHP. I checked the hole again with the pinpointer and found no other signals. I then checked the plug, and there, sticking out ever so slightly, was a silver rim. I figured this had to be a seated dime, and, sure enough, that is exactly what it was, the date - 1876. I have found only one other seated coin in this park, the 1875 CC quarter from the end of April. When I cleaned the dime at home, I was shocked to see that the mint mark is also CC.

That's my last hunt in this park 'til September rolls around. Very happy with the way this part of the city detecting season ended for me today.
Thanks for checking out the pics.
Happy Hunting and best of luck to all!

Finds.jpg

Upvote 23

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins, McCDig! 2 CC coins during the same hunt!

I have one small gripe, though. I know that William H. Sheldon's work Penny Whimsy is about American cents. But they are IHC, not IHP. The work "penny" is not stamped on the reverse of a single IHC. I know I'm going to get flack on this but the facts remain.

Well........what sort of "flack" didja want? :tongue3:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins, McCDig! 2 CC coins during the same hunt!

I have one small gripe, though. I know that William H. Sheldon's work Penny Whimsy is about American cents. But they are IHC, not IHP. The work "penny" is not stamped on the reverse of a single IHC. I know I'm going to get flack on this but the facts remain.

Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone refer to an FE as a Flying Eagle Penny, always a Cent. I think you've got something there.:icon_scratch:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. Congrats on the sweet seated coin.

GL brother!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I call 'em IHPs and I will continue to call 'em IHPs. I know what folks are referring to when they say IHC. If folks can't figure out what I mean by IHP, I hope they will ask.

And since we are getting picky today, the OP found 1 CC coin. You can verify this by reading his story. He found another CC in that same park at an earlier date.

:-\

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Who knows what's left there, or what next winter's freeze and thaw will shift around. If I have to dig more iron, it will be worth the trouble.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D!

Terms of my permit with Baltimore City Rec and Parks is that I'll stay out of city parks for July and August. My permit for Baltimore County allows hunting year round with the exception of major holidays of Memorial, Independence and Labor.

I took the stock coil off the F75 when I got my NEL Tornando last year. I think I'll put it or the smaller coil back on if I need to hunt any high trash area.

This is may my last "old" keeper post 'til Sept unless I find a sweet spot in the woods during the summer.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Whadifind!

My idea of getting skunked yesterday was that I would leave the field that day with zero coins. There is virtually no clad in the area I've been detecting, so your targets are either shallow trash, or deep iron, coins and buttons....an maybe Spanish silver, if you're lucky. I'm happy with clad, happier if I manage to get a 100+ year old coin, and even better, break through to the 1800s.

As I replied to Loco-Digger, the terms of my permit keep me out of Baltimore City parks for July and August, a small price to pay for $25 dollars of excitement for the other 10 months!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy! The fictitious Sacket didn't have time for dirt fishing, too busy making his living off the land.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your port Tuberale!

I don't know when I got on this IHP kick. I agree that penny is more a British denomination. Here we have the cent, being 1/100th of the dollar.

With "tongue-in-cheek" I suggest the IHC be replaced with LWHC, an acronym fro Liberty With Headdress Cent.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Captain Caveman for your CC Congratz!

Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Carolina Tom! Great to hear from the Charlotte Silver Mafia. :happysmiley:

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Carolina Tom! Great to hear from the Charlotte Silver Mafia. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. It is now two CCs from this park; note that I had mentioned the quarter's date as 1875. Turns out it is 1876, same as the dime.
SQ1876CC.jpg seated dime.jpg

Last edited:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Great condition on the 1876 cc quarter, McCDig. I have a half dollar in almost the same condition but not a CC. An 1876 CC dime too. How super odd is that?

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that seated half and the dime. Yes, very odd that you would have an 1876CC seated dime as well, but hey, we're not complaining. Let's both go out and find that 1877 IHC!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver and finds! Congrsts!

Those v nickels are poping up everywhere.

Thats far from being skunked!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your post, Msbeepbeep! Agreed! The skunk stayed away and I left with some "keepers"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread