🥇 BANNER Last hunt with Iron Patch and claimed "Victory" - Rare early cufflink!

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
It was my last hunt in the Iron Patch stomping ground and we returned to the site where he had dug the Machin's Mills halfpenny and I was not left disappointed. In fact, I could not wait to get home before posting this one up! I've dug a few bits here and there this trip, enough for a decent post with yesterday and today, but sites are tough, so this find both saved the day and my hunt in general... as far as getting a good keeper on this trip.

Targets were much more plentiful than either of us had expected and about half way through our 4 hour hunt I dig this cufflink and seeing the anchors I knew immediately I had something good. I walked over and showed IP and said Navy?... he said no, not really. I then said Marines... and he said not that either and these don't seem to have been issued by the military. Then I handed them over and he said... "There's words on there, I've never seen that before! Not on a cufflink with an early anchor design" So that got my interest too. :tongue3: We could see a letter N, but I was clueless what it said. Later in the hunt IP got my attention and said that it's going to say Nelson! As in Horatio Lord Nelson! He said he had seen other patriotic cufflinks with British Royal Navy Admiral's names and he was very sure the N would be for Nelson, and he was right! Then at the car I said there was another word, and he said I bet it's going to be "Victory" ... and he was right again! Once back to his place he did a quick cleaning and I now have this rare and beautiful Navy associated cufflink to go in my collection. I really had no idea about this, but seeing his reaction it's all I needed to know I had something special. :headbang: Thanks again IP... you're the best, just never on the last hunt. :laughing7:

Late 1700s/early 1800s British Royal Navy - Lord Nelson Patriotic Victory cufflink.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 841
Upvote 62
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Can't be said better, hunting in iron is all about persistence. I walked over them several times too, just sometimes the angle or who knows what exactly lets the detector give a descent signal. Sounded like crap lol, but at a site like that ya dig any possible blip. All my props go to IP for being cool enough to let me tag along. Hopefully we can squeeze one more out tomorrow for my bday hunt!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't be said better, hunting in iron is all about persistence. I walked over them several times too, just sometimes the angle or who knows what exactly lets the detector give a descent signal. Sounded like crap lol, but at a site like that ya dig any possible blip. All my props go to IP for being cool enough to let me tag along. Hopefully we can squeeze one more out tomorrow for my bday hunt!!!!!

Yeah how could I resist the opportunity to steal the thunder back and do it on your birthday!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wooooooooow! That is a beauty set of links and I've never seen anything like them!!! What a significant part of history there...

Those belong up top for the Tnet world to see. I'll put in a vote. Excellent find and congrats.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those cufflinks are killer.
Im with Steve, id love to see the back shanks and also the piece that connects the two links.
So would these have belonged to nelson himself, or possibly someone under his command.?
Also what is the significance of the word Victory.
Sorry for so many questions, but i love history, and im curious how they were attached during that time frame..
One again. Killer Links Cerebus.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cufflinks are killer.
Im with Steve, id love to see the back shanks and also the piece that connects the two links.
So would these have belonged to nelson himself, or possibly someone under his command.?
Also what is the significance of the word Victory.
Sorry for so many questions, but i love history, and im curious how they were attached during that time frame..
One again. Killer Links Cerebus.

No, most definitely not owned by Nelson himself, and could have been owned by a sailor that was under his command, as there was many... but really I think anyone could have owned them as they are sort of the same idea as a GW button... patriotic piece.

Victory.... " She is best known as Lord Nelson's flagship"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"soldered on" loops. :thumbsup:
Just wondering. My G. Washington cuff link and Bill Dancy's Admiral Rodney have the wedge shank. I have only found one other with the wedge shank and I have dug a lot of cuff links.

Attachments

• GW-Link-B1.jpg.JPG
    GW-Link-B1.jpg.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 63

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find and to have a pair AND in that condition is awesome. Glad to see you pulled a real goodie out of there at the last moment.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I hereby Vote BANNER.!! Way to go. Lord Nelson Victory Cuff Links. AWESOME. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Way to go on the ID Iron Patch. Great Job. PEACE:RONB :occasion14:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those links are absolutely incredible. :headbang: It's hard enough to dig a linked set, but you got them with a killer design, in great condition and with amazing history. You don't see that often at all. Well done man!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those links are absolutely incredible. :headbang: It's hard enough to dig a linked set, but you got them with a killer design, in great condition and with amazing history. You don't see that often at all. Well done man!

Way nicer than that Machins copper huh Brad? I mean waaaaaaay nicer

OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Thx for replies, IP wasn't very happy where things ended, so we are going to give it 1 more go tomorrow morning, lol. Like a UFC grudge match, he won round 1 with a machin mills, I got round 2 with the cuff links! Final round in. 7h 19m, I'm drinking a few beer so I give him a slight hangover advantage, hahahaha.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some serious cuffs. The connection to Lord Nelson is incredible, and my banner vote is incoming.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't disagree! A MM copper can be bought every day of the week, but you can't just go out and buy a cufflink like that.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hahaha. Well, they are incredible... but I can't answer without a bias considering I've been digging links lately, like you dig complete shoe buckles. So at this point, a change would nice and I'd be equally as happy with either.

Looking forward to the results of the grudge match today! I hope you guys turn up some more great stuff for me to drool over.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brilliant stuff. Thanks for bringing this to light

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread