Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundays hunt was exploratory and dedicated to digging those "odd" bouncy signals, which are normally are can slaw, but in dry soil conditions could be anything.

Donning my green Castro style cap & sweat band I started out in the shade digging the odd.

Some clad quarters read "dime/cent" at 4", possibly they were standing on edge. In some cases there was trash close by. A coin spill of a quarter, nickel, 2 dimes & 2 pennies bounced all over the coin range.

One signal was bouncing between dime & iron, turned out to be exactly that, a dime in the same hole with a piece of rusty iron.

The corroded zincs consistently read "bottle cap"
A "cent" with a very low VDI of 50 turned out to be the top part of a silver gilt button with a shield with a lion on it and "spectemur agendo" printed on the ribbon at the bottom.

The large flat rusty iron was bouncing all over from -95 to +95 with no other metal in the hole so it may have been the soil.

The lead items read solid "quarter" or "ring", slightly disappointing. :(
Then the little voice interjected it's self into the mix and said to head to the center of the field.
I really didn't want to go, it was hot out there with the sun blazing...but i went.

Not a lot of anything out there, even the trash was sparse. I told myself "ok, just make it to that little rise, then head back to the shade". I really wanted a gold ring but instead asked for something special.
I turned to head back and got a bouncy quarter reading 93 at 6".
When i dug it out, I was kinda surprised it wasn't orange like the other clad quarters....oh wait! It's not clad! It's a silver standing Liberty quarter, 1928!
My "something special" my first SLQ!

There was an odd surface find, the large box of matches. :what:
One of my cents turned out to be a "NH Dept of Transportation" tokens.

I was pouring sweat had to head to the truck & water.
I need to work on my pin pointing. Every move and minute counts when your out in the hot sun digging those "odd" signals!

Attachments

• 1469031064832.jpg
    1469031064832.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 156
  • 1469031126329.jpg
    1469031126329.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 34

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your bodacious 1928 SLQ (fairly good detail & hard to come by) - token and other finds - anway I want to thank you for posting your pictures and story and I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the SLQ!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first SLQ! I enjoyed your account of the day's hunt, and can identify with "going with your gut". Be careful in the heat. It's so hot and dry here, that digging is almost impossible. By the way......how deep was that box of matches?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SLQ really is special. Took me finding 4 with out a date before I found my only one with a date.
Awesome find!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, you put at least 4 years work into finding your first SLQ. So you were rewarded with one with a date on it! Congrats!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Msbeepbeep on your first SLQ and with a date, nice job....:hello2:

Thank you! I was trying figure out what foreign coin i had found now till i flipped it over and saw the eagle on the back.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the SLQ it's a beauty.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your bodacious 1928 SLQ (fairly good detail & hard to come by) - token and other finds - anway I want to thank you for posting your pictures and story and I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

Thanks! I was very happy to find it still had a visible date, its been around the block a few times.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going on the silver.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thank you! I was very surprised to find a SLQ. I was just out to explore those odd signals and maybe get a better idea of what they might be. I think i heard the detector laugh & say, " you should have seen the look on your face!"....but i'm not sure...

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first SLQ! I enjoyed your account of the day's hunt, and can identify with "going with your gut". Be careful in the heat. It's so hot and dry here, that digging is almost impossible. By the way......how deep was that box of matches?

Thank you! So far the little voice has never been wrong.
Lol! The matches were just sitting there on the ground, i'm surprised they didn't automatically combust, i felt it was hot enough.
An odd surface find for sure, who leaves a box of matches that size on a sports field?

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SLQ really is special. Took me finding 4 with out a date before I found my only one with a date.
Awesome find!!

I'm overjoyed it still has the date on it! I have the LC, IH, buff, and V nickel all of which are "dateless". Thats 4, so guess i was due for one. I'm going to be ogling this one for a while!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful, full date, Standing Liberty Quarter. SLQ's are very hard to come by. One with a full date is quite an accomplishment.
Congratulations.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you put at least 4 years work into finding your first SLQ. So you were rewarded with one with a date on it! Congrats!

Thank you! I almost did the happy dance, but thought better of it...nothing like tarnishing a great find with a trip to the ER!

Things seem to happen in sets of 4's lately, what happened to sets of 3's. :what: inflation?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there's some distance between us but your one person I'd love to spend a day digging with.... Nice SLQ! Brad

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first SLQ . I bet you will remember that exact spot forever

Top Member Reactions