May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it wasn't Cru'Dad cartwheeling across the field, as he got another Gold Stater.:laughing7: It was the first time we have ever found a 1797 Two-penny. Funny how it happened, he started off finding the 1797 Penny, & I stated we still have had a two-penny yet, & after Lunch he got one! Matching set on the same day.
Our detecting window was only 3 hours 45 minutes on the 2nd of the Barley Stubble Fields. I was expecting lots of average finds & hoped for 1 hammered, & strangely enough a nice 17th C Token - Dad got one of them.:thumbsup:

1 scrappy (first ever from this field)
17th C Button
2 Lead Powder Flask Lids (17th C)
1797 Penny & Two-penny
1920 Halfcrown (rare find for us)
London 17th C Token (no book price, so a rare example in great condition)8-)

Surprise find whilst cleaning the scrap lead- Found a Circa 14th C Lead Trade Weight - Very little is known about the early countermarks, & very few survived as the lead was melted down for re-use. Seeking expert opinion, as the Long Cross in circle punch is not one I can find. The Sword represents London, so some detail but not enough to date it.
PS. I'm beginning to wonder if the other hole is an I, & maybe a faint Crown over it - That would make it James I, so later than I first thought.
UPDATE FROM EXPERT;
''The only thing that is clear is that this is intended to be a fourounce weight. The sword/dagger is very like
the mark used in London by the Plumber's Company in the reigns of James I to George II, but their weights
also had the crowned initial and the 'angel and scales'. Theround mark is similar to ones used elsewhere
to denote the denomination, but usually a four ounce weight would have four such marks.''

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 131
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 27

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cartwheels sure were huge chunks of metal. I can't recall seeing one posted before. Even though its not a rare coin, it must be nice for you and Cru-Dad to check this one off the list.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, tokens are my favorite find! I really like that token! One day I hope to come over there to find one for myself to add to my collection! (A tavern token would be my holy grail find)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cartwheels sure were huge chunks of metal. I can't recall seeing one posted before. Even though its not a rare coin, it must be nice for you and Cru-Dad to check this one off the list.
There have been a lot of 1 Penny's, its the 2 Penny that is hard to find. (Well for us it has been)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE from Expert on Lead Weights;

''The only thing that is clear is that this is intended to be a fourounce weight. The sword/dagger is very like
the mark used in London by the Plumber's Company in the reigns of James I to George II, but their weights
also had the crowned initial and the 'angel and scales'. The round mark is similar to ones used elsewhere
to denote the denomination, but usually a four ounce weight wouldhave four such marks.''

So, its clear there is still lots to learn from these rare survivors.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be thrilled to find a Cartwheel. Something about those big, hefty coppers from around the late 1800s. Was SUPER jealous when my wife dug a 2 Sols French coin from the same time period!

Congrats to CruDad and to you on the great finds. That token is in excellent condition!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread