Capped Bust Half Dime found in Michigan...gotta dig those trashy signals!!!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Was searching an old town site from an 1850's map. Now its just a wooded area.

This place was quite trashed and used as a dumping site in the 60's-70's so I decided on this hunt I was going to try to hunt behind the cellar holes more.

I was less than an hour into my hunt and about 100 feet behind an old cellar hole. You can walk 20-30 feet at a time before even getting a solid hit...so in this area I figured I would dig everything.

I got a repeatable signal about 4" deep, but it was bouncing around a bit on my Minelab SE with 8" Sunray Stealth Coil. I dig down and out pops an older brass shotgun shell top from the 1920's or so. I stand up and re-scan the hole just to double check. Just to the side I get a much weaker sounding, but also repeatable tone.

I decide to dig that as well. I was absolutely dumbfounded when this small silver coin saw its first glimpse of light in well over 100 years.

At first glance, I thought maybe it was a 3-cent silver or something as it was very small. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the Eagle on the back and 5 C for 5 Cents. Wow, I knew I had an old Half Dime then. For sure it was my oldest Silver Coin.

I went back and forth and worked the wooded area in the immediate vicinity. I ended up scoring an Indian Head Penny as well. This one was 1865 and within 20 feet of the Capped Bust Half Dime...and it was also in much nicer shape.

I honestly almost NEVER clean coins, but since I couldn't see much detail on either one I figure I'd give it a shot since I knew I'd be keeping them anyway.

My buddy lightly tumbled the Half Dime...no date, but has to be somewhere in the 1829-1837 date range. Also, it appears that it could have a counter stamp mark. Its a weird mark as well as it appears that BOTH sides have a mark punched inwards.

I used electrolysis on the Indianhead. I wish I hadn't have done that. I didn't realize that there was so much detail in that coin.

This is my oldest Silver Coin. My previous was and 1838 or 1839 Seated Dime. Those are pretty old for Michigan.

Thanks for looking. Here are some before and after Pics.

Deerhunter24 (Chuck)

Upvote 15

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8TAEzyaAc.png

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, those pictures are pretty decent.
I would suggest that a toothpick cleaning and forehead oil may be all that is required in the future to bring out the detail on an IHP.
Congrats on the 1/2 dime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I actually took the pictures with my iPhone. Then just cropped the pics to make the images larger. Seems to work out better than my Digital Camera. LOL

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Wow,, those pictures are pretty decent.
I would suggest that a toothpick cleaning and forehead oil may be all that is required in the future to bring out the detail on an IHP.
Congrats on the 1/2 dime.

Yes I usually just soak in Olive Oil. But wanted to try the Electrolysis. Just my bad luck that underneath that dirt was all that detail!!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow. Nice old half dime. Fantastic find even in that condition.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple Sweet ones!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice finds. Capped coins are really tough, very well played sir!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the coin recoveries! :occasion14:

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds! You don't see those capped bust half dimes very often! Big congrats!! :icon_thumright:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a dug '65 IH in the same condition today for $7. having a major romance with your half dime---full 21 gun salute on that one____that coin keeps slithering away from my coil, go figger!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks...very close to your location by the looks of it

Is very close like right down Lapeer Road? I know an area where my friend Kevin found a 1836 schilling by a bunch of cellar holes. There used to be a bridge across the river there.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest silver, you found some great coins today!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on some really wonderful finds! A "capped bust" anything (in any condition) is very special. I'm rather partial to IHP's...your 1865 penny is in remarkable shape. Doesn't get much better than that!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the capped bust half dime. Most people don't get to check that one off the bucket list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread