Brown, Red, Orange, Gray, I get so tired !

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite going to a place that all I can expect is clad,
I sometimes get soooo tired of seeing orange in the bottom
of my holes. :BangHead:

I know it's better than not having ANY holes though. ;)

So, I ply on. Another school ground that does have a
minor potential for old:

2016 (483).jpg
2016 (484).jpg

See what I mean!? :(

Anyway, I was getting more and more tired and I was saying over
and over to myself, "What does it take!?!? WHAT does it TAKE!?!?" :(

Lo and behold, HE answered!

2016 (492).jpg

It's just a toasted copper but it taught me something about what it takes.
It takes PATIENCE! AND.....awaiting HIS good timing! :) I won't be so
frustrated next time. :)

Got a few more keepers after that too.

2016 (485).jpg
2016 (486).jpg 2016 (487).jpg

I know I've seen this design before, in fact, I believe I'd found one of these before. :dontknow:
The back of this one does have some sort of mark though. Maybe that'll help. :dontknow:

2016 (488).jpg 2016 (489).jpg

Front or back, not much help but finding it at all AND where I found it means a lot to me!
(Any thoughts on what might be the best avenue to maybe see if there's any detail left
will be welcomed. I really haven't done a thing with it yet.) :dontknow: Maybe the size helps?

2016 (490).jpg

Somebody looks VERY happy! LOL

2016 (491).jpg

(I told him it was a new-fangled neck ring or something. ;) )

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 19
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations!

Do not wash in water...if you do all hope is gone.

What I do with old coppers is two-fold: 1. Rub some oil from your face on the coin, both sides to see if anything can be seen. (if #1 doesn't work) 2. Soak in mineral oil, may take a long time, but it has worked wonders with some of the farm fresh coppers I dig.

Blingie seems a bit confused between the shiny washer and toasted copper.

GL & HH

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kevin; Nice Large Cent. To clean it use a mix of 50% Lemon Juice & 50% water. Let it soak for a few days. Then use a wooden toothpick to gently "PUSH" off any loosened dirt. This may take several soakings but the end results are worth it ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kevin; Nice Large Cent. To clean it use a mix of 50% Lemon Juice & 50% water. Let it soak for a few days. Then use a wooden toothpick to gently "PUSH" off any loosened dirt. This may take several soakings but the end results are worth it ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Who came in? :icon_scratch:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it funny how were happy with a totally crusty coin, even though we can't tell what we have?, I'd be pumped with a find like that, great hunt!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to hang in there, whadifind!! And congrats on that toasted beauty........can't wait to see the reclaimed pics.......and to hear what method you used.............

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it funny how were happy with a totally crusty coin, even though we can't tell what we have?, I'd be pumped with a find like that, great hunt!

You've taken something from what I've been saying for years. The idea that if we look, really look, at some of the GLORIOUS finds we get sooooo excited about. We might actually notice that these things are really corroded pieces of what used to be somethings! LOLOL

I do believe we just enjoy the idea that we've reached that far back thru time. "Ya know what I mean, Vern?" ;)

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coppa! Definitely gives you the potential to go back and makes it worthwhile enduring the clad...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! A whole bunch of finds and a great old copper! Congrats!
Fishy looks really great in that hot ride! Color coordinated too!

The Blingster does love his shinny, shinny....what ever (you've yold him) it maybe!

I put my toasted LC in a jar of mineral oil to try and soak away the layers of crud.
Like yours, the clues i had that mine was in fact an LC, was the detector telling me it was copper, the size, and a greenish tint! Because there was no distinguishing features....just crud.

The old stuff sure does make us feel better! Maybe we share commonalities with them.
We are frayed around the edges, been out of circulation for a while, our features are not as sharp as they once were, maybe we have some crud on us, and some of us haven't seen the light of day in a while! :D

.....and we are mis-identified! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! A whole bunch of finds and a great old copper! Congrats!
Fishy looks really great in that hot ride! Color coordinated too!

The Blingster does love his shinny, shinny....what ever (you've yold him) it maybe!

I put my toasted LC in a jar of mineral oil to try and soak away the layers of crud.
Like yours, the clues i had that mine was in fact an LC, was the detector telling me it was copper, the size, and a greenish tint! Because there was no distinguishing features....just crud.

The old stuff sure does make us feel better! Maybe we share commonalities with them.
We are frayed around the edges, been out of circulation for a while, our features are not as sharp as they once were, maybe we have some crud on us, and some of us haven't seen the light of day in a while! :D

.....and we are mis-identified! :D

True, all true. Sometimes what has corroded away can never be restored too. Just knowing it's an old copper coin/token that can go as far back as the hills is enough. I believe that most of us in the hobby are history buffs. Just knowing we've reached back into time is enough. Why else would we work so hard to identify. :dontknow:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've taken something from what I've been saying for years. The idea that if we look, really look, at some of the GLORIOUS finds we get sooooo excited about. We might actually notice that these things are really corroded pieces of what used to be somethings! LOLOL

I do believe we just enjoy the idea that we've reached that far back thru time. "Ya know what I mean, Vern?" ;)

Vern!, lol!! Ya know I think my favorite thing to do when I'm detecting is to kinda zone out and imagine I'm back in the old days, and when I actually make that really old find, I try to imagine who dropped it, what the world was like back then, I swear I was born in the wrong generation lol

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Whadi, Way to go with a mixed bag of old and new finds, and a large cent, wow! Your little pin is a "Girl Scouts World Trefoil" pin. I have found one too. Clad does and doesn't get old, it is better than bringing home a big "goose egg!" Sub 8-)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Whadi, Way to go with a mixed bag of old and new finds, and a large cent, wow! Your little pin is a "Girl Scouts World Trefoil" pin. I have found one too. Clad does and doesn't get old, it is better than bringing home a big "goose egg!" Sub 8-)

Girl Scouts! That was it! Maybe it was your pin I was remembering! Anyone know that jeweler's mark?
This thing was pretty deep down. Wondering how old.

Anyway, thanks for the ID!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your posts always bring a smile to my face along with the replies. You have a great way of putting your finds into a story that is enjoyable to read. Thank you for being here.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work buddy, stay hydrated and stay in the shade.

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your persistence paid off! Congrats on a great array of finds and thanks for sharing. Always enjoy your posts :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread