She's old and worn, but I'll take it! (Bucket lister)

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. Today I hit a new location that had tons of potential. Unfortunately I don't think I was the first to ever detect there as there weren't many good signals. I finally got a pretty good high-ish tone but it didn't seem very deep. I popped the plug and was finally able to locate the target. Based on the size I was really hoping for a trime or a half dime. I was trying to decide whether to take a pic at this point since I had no idea what it was and it could very well be a button with my luck. I finally decided to take the pic not knowing what it was at that time. Went to the car and got some water to splash on it and saw Lady Liberty sitting. :thumbsup: Woohoo!! My first seated of any type. 1855 Half Dime.

Later when I got home I ran water over it and noticed several dings and scratches. I find it hard to believe I did ALL of them, but it is what it is. :sadsmiley: I soaked it in some diluted lemon juice for a bit and it sorta cleaned up a little. Wish it was in better shape, but I'm glad to have found it.

Still not sure what it is at this point...

It's probably in worse shape than the pics convey.

Yesterday I went a park I have been to once before. I ventured off the beaten path and found this IHP (and a Wheat back) in the same hole. I wish the half dime was in as good a shape as the IHP.

Thanks for looking. GL and HH.
Bill

Upvote 30

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs BR, :occasion14: gotta love a hunt that yields a bucket lister. I'm still looking for my 1st half dime.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Yeah she's a little rough looking but a seated half dime is a find you won't soon forget.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a tough little coin!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
What you found is an 1855 Half Dime with arrows. I can't tell if it has a mintmark or not. A very good find.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated coin. A Half Dime is a tough one to find.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find Bill killer! big congrats on your first seated. I will show you my first seated... as soon as I locate it. Jelly!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure there is no mint mark. Even though I didn't do much "cleaning" on it, I wish I had just left it alone. The tarnish helped show some of the details a little better. But it's not like it was mint to start with. :laughing7:

Just looking at it with my naked eye I can barely see any detail. It takes a magnifying glass to be able to tell what it is.

One other thing, this thing is THIN! I surprised it's not bent at all.

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score(s) - Congrats on first seated. Always love to see rescued IHPs too!!!

Can I ask - found with Deus or AT Pro?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
congrats on a beautiful old seated! Regarding the scratches, etc on there, it doesn't look like those are new, so you're off the hook!

If they were bright and shiny, they'd be new, but there's no evidence from the pics to show that.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang nice hunt you have both of mine bucket list

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on a beautiful old seated! Regarding the scratches, etc on there, it doesn't look like those are new, so you're off the hook!

If they were bright and shiny, they'd be new, but there's no evidence from the pics to show that.

Unfortunately, depending on how the light hits it, you can tell some are new. It's weird, I don't think I hit it with my digger since it was in the plug. Maybe I was jabbing my carrot in the plug looking for it and scratched it that way. :dontknow:

That's a great find, I just looked up values, it's either a 1855 with arrows Phila. mint or a New Orleans mint
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...3-pscid-27/1855-o-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14361
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...873-pscid-27/1855-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14360
If I found it, with the condition being what it is, I'd zap it and baking soda paste it. Of course that's just me, it's your coin to do what you want with.
Congrats on your first Half Dime!

I'm considering giving it a light scrub with baking soda. I'm just nervous about losing any more detail. I'm not going to sell it (not worth much anyway). I'd just like to still be able to tell what it is after I clean it. :happysmiley:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those half dimes. Great find

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX