3rd day out with AT Pro and boy was it AWESOMENESS !!!

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, today was the first time I actually found anything of any value while out detecting. It was the official third day with my Garrett AT pro and I got my first permission as well. It's at an 1890 house owned by an old friend. It was the house built by the finish carpenter for the Biltmore house in Asheville to show the expertise of his work prior to the Biltmore being built,. It's kind of like a resume in physical form. There was an awful lot of trash in the yard as far as nails and low iron. So much so that I turned the iron discrimination all the way up and ran it in standard coins and pro coins. I managed to find a broken window counter weight and a head gasket made of copper. Plus some old bricks and lots of square nails. Once the sun came out I decided to start working in the shade and was walking along when I got this great signal and so I dug it up & lo and behold I got a big silver ring with the motif of the pagan Irish God of nature called the "Green Man" . After filling in that hole I looked down and saw a quarter and then I saw another and then I detected out a whole pile. I'm guessing it was coin spill. The first for me anyway. Sad to say, but not really, it was all clad. But I did find $3.15. My hobby is paying for itself and I got good experience and excercise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the ring :icon_thumright:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a tip: run Pro Zero mode with short swings--hover EVERY hit & listen to the rolling audio to sort the iron from good hits. high tones with a growl will be bottle caps, scratchy 68-72 will be zincolns, 61 usually pulltab, pretty much any VDI over 46 is worth digging. if the sound is clean, DIG IT. turn off iron audio and be sure to ground balance as described in the manual-- you want no sound as you pump the coil up/down over a clean piece of ground---always use headphones for the subtle DEEP hits. once you learn the Pro, you can run at full bars & hang on for the ride back in time

OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a tip: run Pro Zero mode with short swings--hover EVERY hit & listen to the rolling audio to sort the iron from good hits. high tones with a growl will be bottle caps, scratchy 68-72 will be zincolns, 61 usually pulltab, pretty much any VDI over 46 is worth digging. if the sound is clean, DIG IT. turn off iron audio and be sure to ground balance as described in the manual-- you want no sound as you pump the coil up/down over a clean piece of ground---always use headphones for the subtle DEEP hits. once you learn the Pro, you can run at full bars & hang on for the ride back in time

What would you set iron discrimination at?

I pretty much have the GG Amphibians on at all times. I had the stock ones on but I figured the grey ghosts were better and since I ordered them with the Pro......... It's a bit warm wearing them in the heat but I'm learning it all now so come winter I'll have some nice GG earmuffs.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the ring recovery and nice coin spill! :occasion14:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back tomorrow morning

YES !! I know you are new to the machine, but with a site as rich as what you are on, swing that ATP nice and slow, grid those "hot spots" off and go back over them, from every direction, you'll be amazed at what you find, or miss, for that matter. Also 100, if the ground there is dry, make SURE you go back there after a good, soaking rain..again, those coins and relics will appear out of nowhere! I'm by far no expert yet, I've had my ATP 2 years now and learn more every time out. GOOD LUCK! Looking forward to seeing your new finds...ddf

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really an outstanding day! Keep cleaning out those nails. You know there's some silver, gold, relics, artifacts, trinkets, bits and pieces, and all the other reasons we're out there gettin our knees dirty. Good luck brother!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no discrimination--I want to hear ALL the tones as the coil transitions between close spaced targets. the sounds are the key to sniping a dime hiding below /above iron. a very deep target coin will only give a weak sound in low range that means spend some time with attack direction & swing speed---then you will get a high tone saying it's there but not enough signal to decipher. make a deep plug and see what happens---good sound, good VDI and good target. the 1812 LC I got last week was a crappy hit due to the depth & soil condition but that changed when the first 8 inches was cleared away. we all dig junk, but great finds can be an iffy hit
What would you set iron discrimination at?

I pretty much have the GG Amphibians on at all times. I had the stock ones on but I figured the grey ghosts were better and since I ordered them with the Pro......... It's a bit warm wearing them in the heat but I'm learning it all now so come winter I'll have some nice GG earmuffs.

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job ! A bit of advice I don't know what region your in but here in s.NH , N mass I look for lilacs and bushes to detect under because someone usually planted them a hundred years ago and may have dropped something. Happy hunting

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see, I'll clean it better in the morning and break out my magnifying glass. Thanks for the suggestion!
What does .925 signify?

It means your ring is sterling silver. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
.925 is 92.5% silver... sterling is the older name for it. Coins are (mostly) 90% silver.

Nice ring, look closely inside for a makers mark.

I want to see that marble. I believe that it is a clay marble... from the days before glass marbles!

Congrats on finding some good stuff!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one cool ring.

OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.925 is 92.5% silver... sterling is the older name for it. Coins are (mostly) 90% silver.

Nice ring, look closely inside for a makers mark.

I want to see that marble. I believe that it is a clay marble... from the days before glass marbles!

Congrats on finding some good stuff!

Here's a better shot of the marble

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a better shot of the marble

That one is sweet! Glass marbles became popular around 1900, and clay marbles went out of fashion. That one is redder than I am used to seeing, probably made from Carolina red clay. Congrats on a really nice little find. I can hardly wait to see what else you scratch up next!

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, brother! Can't wait for us to go exploring one day.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love quarter spills! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread