Remember That Time When You Found The 150 Year Old Coin In The Tot Lot?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why, It seems like only today for me... I am posting this out of sheer exasperation, as I have not found anything worth posting in over two weeks. I have been hunting hard and filled a big bag with $100.00 worth of clad this month, but I have only one PM (precious metal) ring to show for 30 days of scouring. So...it has come to this...
While out killing time in between errands, fire department calls for service, rain, etc... I hit a park tot lot and got a solid 70 VDI and a sweet chirp on the ATPro in the swing set area. (Always a smorgasbord of finds here.) Just below the surface of the bark was this little beauty.
sunglasses3.JPG sunglasses2.JPG

Best I can tell from the web, it is a Qing Dynasty 50 denomination coin from the reign of Xian Feng, 1851-1861. Most likely someone's "lucky coin" that did a swan dive with a pike and half twist out of their pocket during some vigorous swinging... It appears original and legit, made of brass (bronze?)

The hunt was abruptly ended when I had to skee-daddle back to the district when calls started coming in...:BangHead: (I did not have to, I chose to...)

But not before the scrounge in me spied these near-new sport sunglasses laying out on the playing field. Made by Pugs. Worth about $15.00 or so.
sunglasses1.JPG

So I "Carpe Diemed" (Seized the carp) and at least did not go home empty-handed. Tomorrow is a new day, and digging shall be done! Thanks for looking, Happy Hunting to all. Sub 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best find was also found in a tot lot. A new drop for sure. But hunts have been sparse lately. I need a new place to hunt.

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever found one of those, cool find!

Ken, this is my second antique Chinese coin in less than a year. The first being a 1600's-era coin from the Shih Tzu reign, I "Shih Tzu" you not! Sub 8-)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya on the clad I go to the Arboretum a lot I can literally dig a coin almost every foot I don't want clad I usually will dig clad for an hour then look for silver in the older spots lots of U of M college kids come here. That's a nice coin I'm sure you've earned it Thanks for your service in the FD also. Thanks for sharing your find. Stay safe!!!

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a 50 yen, Subterranean? I got the 50 and the Dynasty fine ...

I am no expert, just tried to compare my coin to ones on line at a great site for ID'ing ancient Chinese coins. I think it is just a 50 denomination, what ever that is. Don't know if the yen was used back then or not. An expert may be able to help us out! Sub 8-)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that foreign coin. :occasion14: Those are nice to see in the plug. I chopped the one I dug in half during retrieval :BangHead:

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on pulling that foreign coin. :occasion14: Those are nice to see in the plug. I chopped the one I dug in half during retrieval :BangHead:

Loco, I heard that if you chop a Chinese coin in half during retrieval, you will be hungry again in an hour...:laughing7:

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site! Thanks for sharing it. Bookmarked in case I ever find another one....

Found mine on there no problem, S-1512, "BOO CIOWAN" Emporer Hsuan Tsung 1821-50.

chinese coin.jpg

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nola, great save, you certainly deserved it! I've been on a dry spell myself...lotsa clad..meh..but I've got to expand my horizons, my spots are getting quite stale. Makes one wonder...I wonder if detectorists in China dig up Walkers, Seateds and Capped Bust American silver!?...ha. Great post Nola...thx for sharing...ddf

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nola, great save, you certainly deserved it! I've been on a dry spell myself...lotsa clad..meh..but I've got to expand my horizons, my spots are getting quite stale. Makes one wonder...I wonder if detectorists in China dig up Walkers, Seateds and Capped Bust American silver!?...ha. Great post Nola...thx for sharing...ddf

Well this is Subterranian's thread, I just was able to finally ID an old find thanks to his help

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is Subterranian's thread, I just was able to finally ID an old find thanks to his help

OOPS...my bad! Sorry guys, getting late, long day, and I've been looking at cool stuff that I've not been digging! U GO SUB!!! Thanks very much for your service my friend, I know your job is hard enough without all the extra BS going on as of late..I have several friends who are firefighters and emt's..and they're being shot at, people are setting traps inside burning abandoned houses..I have no idea what people think these days..I really dont...you have all our blessings and prayers. Ddf

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Chinese co-worker to whom I showed the pics . He did a little research and, sad to say, he believes it is fake.
It is too evenly worn and almost too dinged up. He showed me many examples of the same real coin found, none looked as worn or dinged as that one.
But that is just one man's opinion.

Cool find just the same.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out,,
It's raining in NYC today. I guess I'll just search the laundry room while my clothes are washed. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread