🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the very last minute I decided to get out for a couple hours after work yesterday. I opened up a new section to sift and things were looking mediocre with a couple buttons and various pieces of broken pottery. It was looking like this section would be the typical one where nothing too great turned up... until.... I was squaring off the walls and doing one last iron removal sweep before getting ready to begin sifting the dirt back in. I squared off one corner and a handful of larger shards appeared. I slowed down and carefully began to excavate the corner and realized that most of two different bowls were down there. All pieces were packed tight and this rarely happens. Typically I find lots of shards but they are all small and only a few times have I found a pocket where large portions are buried together.

What came out of the pocket was large portions of two bowls that I reconstructed. The hand painted blue flower bowl belongs a set that I have been finding many pieces to throughout the last year. I have some parts to matching mugs that must have been purchased as a set at the same time as this bowl. Those blue shards are easily my favorite design that I have pulled from this area, so I was thrilled to get most of a bowl from the set.

IMG_20160929_093704939.jpg

After washing and drying the shards, it took a few hours to glue all the pieces back together.

IMG_20160929_094030292.jpg

Got a few buttons, including a nice flower button and a lead pencil. There is part of a pewter spoon and a piece of a tombac shoe buckle frame too. The non-ferrous rose heads and other items are in the tumbler now. **The other blue flower shards, above the buttons, belong to a different mug from the same set that was in the same section as the bowl**

IMG_20160929_093726176.jpg

Here is part of a mug that I found last year. This would have belonged to the same set that the bowl was from. I have many large boxes of shards with more pieces to the blue flower pottery, so this winter I will sort them and see if I cant match any pieces up and do some more reconstructions.

IMG_20160928_195909848.jpg

These were the shards from the pocket yesterday. I typically just toss all the shards from a section into my pouch, but when I get into an area where its evident that I'm finding shards belonging to the same piece of pottery, I will separate them to make the reconstruction easier.

IMG_20160928_194654139.jpg

I was excited as I rinsed them off as I saw that many of the pieces matched.

IMG_20160928_194809132.jpg

Sorting and drying in preparation to reconstruct them.

IMG_20160928_214320993.jpg

IMG_20160928_210953086.jpg

IMG_20160928_213814518.jpg

Upvote 12

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't have the patience for that. Awesome job.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds for sure. There is plenty of lead in that pencil! Hey, someone had to say it…lol

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds

Thanks Art!

Those are neat finds your making.

Thanks scruggs!

I wouldn't have the patience for that. Awesome job.

Thanks ScubaDetector! Its tedious no doubt and many times its frustrating... but the few times some cool pottery turns up it makes it all worth it.

Great job with the reconstructions! :notworthy:

Thanks man! I only had to file one piece when I discovered I put it together out of order. ha I try to think 3 pieces ahead so I don't glue myself into a corner. I'm super happy with how they turned out and I hope to find the rest of them close by.

Always enjoy your writings and efforts - thanks!

Thanks Molewacker! I'm certainly happy those shards turned up and gave me enough to put a post together. Many sifting hunts I never share because I only find a handful of buttons.

Nice finds for sure. There is plenty of lead in that pencil! Hey, someone had to say it…lol

Thanks Dirtwisher! Most of the pencils I find are made of slate... this is actually the first one I've found that is actually lead. haha

IMG_20160929_161623.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the reconstructions! Very nice.

Congrats.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to call Bill the Diggin' Fool but I may crown you with that title now. I honestly love all of the partial reconstructions and think they really make displays look complete. Great job as usual Brad!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to call Bill the Diggin' Fool but I may crown you with that title now. I honestly love all of the partial reconstructions and think they really make displays look complete. Great job as usual Brad!

I'm a fool no doubt! ha Thanks man. I have many partial reconstructions, however the only complete one was this Davenport pearlware bowl c.1805-1830.

IMG_20150914_123938683.jpg

Even though I don't have all of the blue flower bowl pieces, it might be my new favorite one. I hope to get back and excavate the corner out more and see if there is more of it down there. It would be great to find the missing pieces.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You're good at it

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another professional job Brad. No telling what's coming out next at your never-ending pit .....

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As if detecting and sifting isn't enough of a challenge, you incorporate assembling extreme puzzles as well. Really awesome stuff man!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're good at it

Thanks weregolf!

Another professional job Brad. No telling what's coming out next at your never-ending pit .....

Thanks man... This was the area that the pewter dollhouse dinnerware cake from. I'd been wanting to sift it for some time and finally got around to it... Looks like there might be some good stuff in this area. I think you're spot on with it being pearlware from the early 1800's.

As if detecting and sifting isn't enough of a challenge, you incorporate assembling extreme puzzles as well. Really awesome stuff man!

Thanks a ton man! The real puzzel will be when I sort through the boxes of shards this winter and see if I can match anything up. Ha

Nice work with the partial reconstructions Brad, both bowls look great. You my friend have some serious patience lol

Thanks a ton Jon! It is tedious, but a ton of fun to see it come together.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Brad. You know how to get it done. I don't care what the Mrs says, those shards are cool brother!

3 weeks

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outdoor--I love your posts and the awesome reconstruction work you do with the pottery! Thanks so much for sharing. Just amazing! -Lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread