Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No photos of yesterday's hunt-hubby is embarrassed. :-[

As it was very hot here, we decided to try our luck at beach mding on Lake Michigan. We walked right where the surf met the beach and got a very strong, clear signal. The display showed ".50". We got very excited. Now, I realize why all of the beach detectorists carry scoops with holes in them. My 9 year old and I bulldozed sand, and my husband just tried to hold the water back, but to know avail. We kept losing the target under the shifting sand. We were all soaking wet and laughing. Finally, I got the idea to get a large chunk of asphalt that we found on the beach, and wedge it in the sand in front of the hole. Then, we took all of the sand out of the hole and chucked it in front of the asphalt, where it couldn't be washed away. Then, we scooped about 40 lbs. of sand out of the hole, running the dector over it after each load. Finally, we could no longer find the signal in the hole and ran it over the pile where it sounded loud and clear. Then we very carefully sifted through the sand until we saw a glimmer!!!! We all simultaneously drew in our breath and held it with hopes that we finally struck gold. We were going to be rich!!! When I finally pulled it out of the wet sand and we realized that it was a Chuck E. Cheese token, only my 9 year old did the happy dance. My husband muttered, "F$%#*ing Rat" under his breath. ;D The realization that this is a hobby and we do it for the love of the game, not the pay off at the end is a good one..and the memory of hubby falling on his butt in the water will be with me for a very long time.

Attachments

• chuck e. cheese.jpg
    chuck e. cheese.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Your husband shouldn't be that disappointed with the find. Some of those Chucky Cheese tokens can be very valuable.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jason4kstate said:
Your husband shouldn't be that disappointed with the find. Some of those Chucky Cheese tokens can be very valuable.

Seriously? ???

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
......but think of the great memories you just made with your son....how cool is that! And next time it will be gold...now that you all know how to dig the hole! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread