paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I broke from my usual fields and decided to walk this old path through the woods nearby. It’s just a dirt trail now, but on the 1850’s maps it’s a road with several farmhouses. What I was hoping to figure out was how old the road was since the parallel road I found and walked had a few coins (an 1861 British halfpenny and an 1864 civil war token), but nothing older which made sense since I later learned that the road was built between 1851 and 1858. As it turns out this road is much older...

At first I just found a few small brass pieces which looked old, but would be difficult to date. One of the more interesting ones is this round piece.

DSC07679.JPG DSC07680.JPG

It has threading inside on the top and bottom holes; could it be the pommel from a sword? Finally I hit a solid 86 on the Ace 400 8” down. After some very frustrating digging through packed down rocks out popped a copper coin.

DSC07750.JPG DSC07751.JPG

Thankfully the parts that weren’t worn show enough information to identify it. It’s a King George III Hibernia half penny. With the right light there’s just enough date left to see that it’s from 1769!

Right next to it were brass and iron tack pieces. They were a little closer to the surface though so I’m not sure if they’re from the same time period or just happen to be close by. Ten feet ahead though was another 86-87 at 8”.

DSC07753.JPG DSC07754.JPG DSC07756.JPG

The ground was much rougher on this one, but once again just the right places were preserved and it turns out it’s one of my bucket-lister’s: a Connecticut copper! At this point I was starting to lose the sun, but I dug one more strong signal and found this piece:

DSC07757.JPG DSC07758.JPG DSC07759.JPG

It’s pewter with silver plating and my first guess is the rosette from a colonial hat. I can’t find one quite like it online though; has anyone seen it before? All-in-all a very satisfying hunt and I have much more road to walk down so I’m sure I’ll have more for you guys!

P.S.
Here are the other bits and pieces from the hunt:

DSC07760.JPG

Upvote 12

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
upper pic is an "ox nut" they put them on bull horns
nice hunt - nice finds

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
upper pic is an "ox nut" they put them on bull horns
nice hunt - nice finds

I thought ox nuts were much bigger than that? Congrats on finding the old road. That sounds like serious potential, and you've already scored some major finds.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ox knob. Freudian slip?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt! The Hibernia is my favorite designed copper coin! And the "ox nuts" are totally dependent on the size of the ox.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin and relic finds! :occasion14:

The threaded object is an "ox knob", they would place them on the tip of their horns.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Hibernia is a great find and I agree with Abe, just a phenomenal looking coin. One of my favorites in my entire collection is a 1766 Hibernia.

Anyway, great CT copper. Also a great coin.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds, and looks like a very strong potential for more. If you are able to clean the Connie and/or post better pics would enjoy trying to attribute variety.

Real balancing act so far on the thread...amazing no one has posted a picture of an ungelded ox :laughing7:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All wonderful finds! Congrats! -Lisa & John

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to get more detail out of the CT copper. I don't want to get my hopes up on nailing down the exact type, but getting a conclusive date off of it would be fantastic. Does anyone have advice on bringing the detail out on these old copper coins?

Many thanks to Casper-2 for the identity of the copper piece, and for the laugh. :laughing7: Any thoughts on what the silver plated pewter piece could be?

I'll be back to the road tomorrow; hopefully I'll have some more cool finds/mysteries to post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread