Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a gorgeous 60 degree fall day in Michigan and I was able to get out and do some detecting at a local park. To my dismay, it seemed as though someone had already hit the area hard, leaving on zinc penny tones. For clad, all I got was a dime, a nickel, and 11 zinc pennies. But...some of those zinc signals weren't zinc at all!
IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2549.JPG

I ended up with a 1910 wheat penny (oldest coin I've ever found and in almost perfect condition!), a crusty old penny that I cannot seem to get a date off of, a cheap earring, and a button. It was a great day for me! Make sure to zoom in on the detail in the wheat ears on that 1910...I couldn't believe how well preserved it was. Happy hunting y'all!

Upvote 19

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nice set of finds!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds thanks for sharing them I'm in Michigan also This is one of my favorate times of the year not hot people are no longer at the beach or swimming holes or fishing spots and the woods are not full of people good hunting times!!!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, finding a Wheat that old means you could be onto some IH cents soon. They ring up lower than the usual pennies, good luck!

You could clean that crusty coin up in some warm peroxide. Worth a shot if it's so crusty anyway.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice wood grain wheatie. Wouldn't be surprised if the other one is a Indian.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. What was the strange encounter? Loving that old wheat.

Thanks! Haha I just realized that I forgot to explain that. Well first off, there were four guys in the park doing this thing called "larping" which stands for live action role play. They basically dress up like knights from medieval times and fight each other with soft swords, shields, daggers and arrows. It was entertaining to watch!

Then, there were two Asian girls with heavy accents that came up to me and asked me what I was doing. After I explained what metal detecting is, she had a huge sigh of relief and told me that she thought I was looking for bombs! It was an interesting day.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, finding a Wheat that old means you could be onto some IH cents soon. They ring up lower than the usual pennies, good luck!

You could clean that crusty coin up in some warm peroxide. Worth a shot if it's so crusty anyway.

That would make sense! That's why I always dig the zinc signals. Why is it that the old pennies sound low like that?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It didn't circulate here in Michigan much HOWEVER, anybody passing up zincoln signals are not smart detectorists. Gold coins ring up as zincolns and so do indian head pennies. Let the cherry pickers get the silver. A gold coin is a lot better reward for digging.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice 1910 wheat. Don't pass those zinc cents up, as others have stated, you WILL miss something good.

The guys that find the good stuff, dig a ton of junk. If the signal repeats, dig it up. I know that this can be daunting in a large trashy park, but if you are in an older spot, try to dig repeatable signals that you would not ordinarily dig... you will get something good sooner or later. It's a game of numbers, more holes are like more lottery tickets... better chance to hit a winner.

Best of luck to you sir!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, but not always, crusty pennies turning out to be rotting zincolns. But if you leave it in lemon juice for a few hours you might some of the crust cleared off so you can see what's underneath. And sometimes you get a surprise. I picked up one of those crusty pennies a few years back that turned out to be a seated dime.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, but not always, crusty pennies turning out to be rotting zincolns. But if you leave it in lemon juice for a few hours you might some of the crust cleared off so you can see what's underneath. And sometimes you get a surprise. I picked up one of those crusty pennies a few years back that turned out to be a seated dime.

Hey I gave the lemon juice thing a shot (because it's all I have available to me in college) and because why not right? It basically just turned into a little red disk lol. I'm pretty sure I could make out lincolns outline though so it's not like I just messed up an Indian or a flying eagle. Probably just an old crappy wheat.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I thought someone was bomb detecting last thing I'd do is go up for a chat, what ditzes sheesh.
Sounds like a good way to get rid of unwanted pesky people though, tell them it was a battle site from the great war of 1925

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what was the strange encounter? UFO's and beams of light coming from the sky? Apparitions, voices? Men in Black following you ? Bigfoot, a werewolf or a vampire ? Tells us please, it's almost All Hollows and inquiring Paganist need to know !!!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what was the strange encounter? UFO's and beams of light coming from the sky? Apparitions, voices? Men in Black following you ? Bigfoot, a werewolf or a vampire ? Tells us please, it's almost All Hollows and inquiring Paganist need to know !!!

I explained it in the comments a little ways back from here, just scroll through and you'll find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread