Couple - "Almosts"

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a semi - local park 2 towns away Sunday morning at daybreak for about 90 minutes. This is the park where I found a silver bracelet last month on my first day there - haven’t been back since.

Nothing great - but some clad and a “heat attack” wedding band - let me tell you - at daybreak...in the hole with bad light....next to a men's softball field, I thought I had a keeper - looks like a homemade band out of a pipe :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::BangHead: It looked to be de-burred it aftter slicing it....

Also the 1970 Canadia quarter was a first - not tarnished at all (albeit bent) with a hue that looked to be silver in the hole - I thought might have been silver……but alas same as here in the US - needs to be pre-1965

20161023_080544.jpg

Thanks - HH!

Upvote 9

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Actually Canadian silver has to be pre 1969. SOME of the 1968 Canadian coins are silver clad and some are nickel. Just thought you might want to know.

Nice digs

OP
OP
pepperdawg

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Scuba - I read now that late 60's are 40% - Thx!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thx Scuba - I read now that late 60's are 40% - Thx!!

I have NO idea where you are reading but I wanted to let people know the facts. This is pertaining to the dime and quarter. No Canadian nickel was silver EXCEPT for the Canadian fish scales minted until 1922.

Canadian coins BEFORE 1920 were .925 or Sterling silver instead of .900 coin silver in America.

Canadian coins from 1920 - 1966 (two years after ours) were .800 silver instead of .900 coin silver in America and after 1964 only the half was silver clad

Canadian coins from 1967 and some 1968 were 50% silver and do not stick to a magnet.

The only exception to this is the half dollar which was .800 silver through 1967.

I hope this helps you with further Canadian finds. I find them a lot in my home town which is 3 minutes from Canada across a little stream called the St. Clair river.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread