3 Day Marathon Hunt With Scrappy & OutdoorAdv! 1812 Pewters, Complete Shoe Buckle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally took a few days off and had a 3 day marathon hunt with Brad and Steve. We stated on Thursday afternoon at my War of 1812 site. Happy to say that we all had some luck there and dug a nice handful of pewters between the 3 of us. I dug 3 US general service buttons as well as a couple of script Infantry buttons. I also dug a thimble and out of a trash pit came a killer little key as well as a nice little pipe stem that Brad gave me from the pit. We cooked some steak and potatoes right at the site and spent the night there. It was a great time that continued the next morning with more hunting. I'll let them share their finds but quite a few came out of this site. Friday night ended with a much needed shower then about 40 lbs of sushi and a couple of beers. Here are my finds from the War of 1812 site.
The Dirty Pile-
IMG_5247.JPG

The Cleaned Pile
IMG_5327.JPG

Marked Pewters
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 7.jpg
FullSizeRender 11.jpg

The Pit Key and Pipe Stem
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG

Friday night I screen mirrored a couple of my 1776 maps onto my tv so we could all look at them and make a plan for Saturday. I decided that we should take a risk and try to find a small dot on the map. This involved loading a canoe and a kayak and driving to a public boat launch. We got there nice and early only to find that the boat ramp was under construction and there was no place to park. So we unloaded the boats and I parked my truck halfway down a slippery embankment....I'll get back to that later lol. We took a short paddle on a really nice stretch of water. It was beautiful and peaceful even though the weather wasn't great. After failing to find the first site due to time constraints with the tide we headed to the second site that we had our eyes on. Luckily it was a cabin site which meant there was no cellar hole and therefore it was virgin. Luckily Steve got over a couple of non ferrous targets which helped us to zone in on the homestead. I'm going to let Brad give the specifics of the next 8 seconds or so because they are very funny! I happened to walk into a small hot spot and dug a few rat tail spoons, a pile of buttons, a possible lead seal and after moving a tree and telling the boys there was going to be a great signal under there I dug a beautiful complete shoe buckle. My 8th complete and probably 21st or so overall. I also dug a couple of coppers....one being a 1773 kg i believe. We had a great time there and dug over 40 buttons between us. It was a lot of fun to show these guys what the cabin sites are all about and how hard they are to find.
The Pile-
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Complete Shoe Buckle-
IMG_5297.JPG

Complete Shoe Buckle Family
IMG_5337 2.JPG

The Lead "Thing"-
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

1773 King George-
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg
FullSizeRender 9.jpg
IMG_5355.JPG

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

This was an incredibly fun few days with two great guys and Tnet members. It was great hunting and great food that ended with some massive lobster rolls. I know that I had a great time and hope they both had as much fun as I did. This post isn't nearly long enough but I am getting old and I'm exhausted from the paddling, hiking, digging and being in the rain for a few days. Hoping to hunt a lot more this fall and I have some very exciting sites that I'm hoping to get to. I'm going to be trying out some incredibly early sites and hope to add to my 1600s collection

Upvote 38

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt ! Pulled some very nice items
Love them buttons. Ahab,adv scrappy coco. The deadly trio, I actually think scrappy smells the silver !
Great job you three. Hh gl.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, it was a ton of fun buddy and I can't thank you enough. The find's were secondary... Great friends, incredible paddles, lucky weather and hilariously stupid crap we laughed about were what made it man. It was one of the best weekends anyone could ask for. You forgot to finish the part where your truck got stuck and almost slid down the embankment. ha The ever giving "button hill", the Spoon spill and ANOTHER complete shoe buckle were awesome to see come to light.

Oh man, that is awesome IP. Now that's one killer find Abe. This button's not a perfect match to that mold, but it came from the same site... makes me wonder if there are any there that will match that mold.

View attachment 1374382 View attachment 1374387

Thanks pal it was awesome. Yes the whole truck thing was not looking good at all. But a little bit of digging and 4 Lo and the big Chevy pulled itself out. Yup it's a lot of fun pulling out shoe buckles. Especially when they're complete. I'm dying to find a silver one someday but I'm guessing that may never happen. I had a hell of a time and can't wait for the next adventure.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It was killer Thrifty. I so wish I could get out way more often.

Got ya covered. I found your next kayak that'll get you to your spots a little quicker...

Before ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477495264.767880.jpg after... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477495166.033416.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. What an incredible couple of sites. I would give my left --- to be able to hunt a site like that!
On second thought maybe not quite that much!!:hello2::hello2::hello2:

Lol yeah I've said things like I would give me pinky or a toe for a NE shilling. But I've never gone quite as far as to offer up one of the boys. It would have to be something pretty darn amazing and something that could make me retire instantly with no worries about money in the future

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been burning it up bubba. Those buttons and buckles are just insane man...wtg

Thanks bro. I try to make them count when I do get out because I rarely get to detect these days. That should change this fall

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up Abe. Finds aside, the experience we had together was one of the best ever in memory. You and Brad are tremendous hunters and fellas. We fought the elements and got are butts whipped, but look at all the "trinkets" we found!
Like I said, my favorite finds were the script pewter and complete rat tail, but after what IP said, I think it's that button mold is #1. That had all three of us fooled!

I can't say enough about the weekend and what a great host you were. What a magnificent area you live in.

Killer finds again bud!

Steve

A price left to be able to hunt with you guys. The button mold is certainly the favorite find that I made. Never thought I'd find one of those. Glad to be able to put one in my collection

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Love the buttons! Looks like an amazing couple days. Hopefully the weather holds and we all get a few more great hunts in!

I hope we can sneak in a good amount of hunts before Mother Nature puts a hurting on us and our sites

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That complete buckle is amazing Abe..I can't believe I'm admitting that to you :). Then you go and find more sweet pewter buttons and of course your obligatory pewter spoons. The find of your hunt, for me, is the script button.

I really like the design on this particular shoe buckle. Pretty crazy that I've never found 2 identical buckles. When I do I hope they're silver. I do love the script pewters man

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding work Gents! The sheer number of early pewters in that dirt is incredible, always love seeing the script I cuffs. Button mold may very well be the rarest dig from the site.

Yes that button mold is something I've rarely if ever seen posted. IronPatch dug one that is very similar. Im happy to check it off the list although it's something I've never thought to add to the list. These surprises tend to be my favorite finds

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, sweet, sweet,
You guys are a bunch of treasure hunting "Daniel Boones"
Congrats on all your finds and I really like the Buckle

Thanks pal. We certainly put in the effort for these rewards. It's hard work but looks impressive at the end of a few day hunt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, Abe--glad you all had an awesome time! Some unusual, cool items, and plentiful. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! -Lisa & John

Thanks Lisa. It was a great all around adventure and I'll always have the funds to remember it by. It was fun to dig a nice assortment of items from a nice early time period

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those pics are a feast for the eyes! Sounds like you guys had a great time, congrats on all the finds, friendship, and sushi.

Thanks buddy. What more could we ask for....all of it was perfect. Except for the 80 year old bar tender that pretended we didn't exist lol. Pretty sure Big Steve scared the little guy

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and a legit team adventure. Glad you guys avoided the Fratellis and the fate of Chester Copperpot

Ken it was a fun adventure for sure. I'm hoping in the spring of next year that we can coordinate for a similar adventure. I would love to hunt with you and am happy to research out some early sites if your schedule will allow for it. This hunt I know will work out way better than the plans for our first hunt did lol. You've had a great fall and I hope it continues that way

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Really nice post and finds Abe. Love that you guys camped on site, that is my favorite kind of hunting and what I do on my sites. Sounds like a great time. Very nice variety of early finds, I always liked 1812 buttons and you clearly have a prime site.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like yall had a great weekend.
Killer buttons, love the buckle.

Thanks bud. I am a buckle lover as well. I hope to have 88 shoe buckles by the time my old body can't handle hunting anymore. Hopefully that's far away

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some great stuff man

Yes cabin sites are very difficult to find. I've been standing on top of them in the past and wouldn't have known except for the slightest clues

Congrats again bet it was a great time

HH Jer

Thanks Jer. I have found some loaded cabin sites. They are pretty amazing with the volume they can produce. That's likely what all the old cellar holes were like way back when. I can't imagine the stuff that came from them

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - what can I say Abe - great finds man!! My favorite is that awesome button mold. Never seen one of those dug before. And all I can say about your spoons and buckle is ho-hum - just another day at the office for Abe :laughing7:. Some people just have their niche, and those are definitely 2 of yours. BTW - does that key have a triangular or square hole in the end? It might be a key for a barrel spigot, or maybe a clock key. Nice assortment of pewter buttons too. Hope to see you back at that site (or another) again soon as I could use a little motivation right now. Great post man!

Ok Bill just for you I'm going to go try to dig some 1600s stuff Sunday. I know you love that good early stuff. Maybe a cob or maybe a spectacle buckle. I'd do anything for my buddy lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread