Colonial Site gives up another treasure. This time a first for me. Plus More!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to old faithful colonial site right after i got back from the hurricane a few weeks ago to hit the coast. The ground was so saturated though that i was able to pick out some targets that VMI and me some how missed. The hurricane did wash out some nice bottles for me as well.

First up an overall shot from the past 2 hunts. I haven't been out very much lately with Mid terms which turn out are 100 times harder than they were in undergrad...go figure.

DSCF0352.JPG

There were quite a few bottles and partials that were exposed thanks to the storm. We actually met a kid a few months back that told us that him and some friends used to throw rocks at bottles on the river bank. This is the one bottle i really wish they hadn't thrown a rock at...if it was them that broke it. My first South Carolina Dispensary bottle...broken but still awesome. Just wish it wasn't broken. Ive read a little bit about the history on these ones and they seem to be pretty rare and collectible. Maybe y'all can put more info on it. Found another Hinds hand cream bottle my second one from the same site but this one is in pretty decent shape. First Pat D bottle in a while but it was broken. Made in Charleston and I tried to get a shot of the date code but not sure it showed up. It is from 1946. The other coke bottle made in Charleston as well from 1959.

DSCF0353.JPG DSCF0356.JPG DSCF0357.JPG DSCF0359.JPG DSCF0362.JPG DSCF0363.JPG DSCF0364.JPG

Not sure what this next item is but it has some age to it and its decorative. Big brass blew the ear drums out. Any ideas?

DSCF0365.JPG DSCF0366.JPG DSCF0367.JPG

Next three items are really small. First was just a piece of round thin led but when it was in the pluff it looked silver and looked old so I got excited. The middle relic is a tiny cuff button I'm assuming. The smallest I've ever found. To the right is what i think is a pewter button. Let me know but it looked pewter and its pretty rough unfortunately.

DSCF0369.JPG DSCF0370.JPG DSCF0371.JPG

One buckle! Haven't dug one in a hot minute so i figured id post just cuz!

DSCF0373.JPG

Now to the big find! Right in the middle of where VMI and I have been digging! Unbelievable that we missed this. The area has a decent amount of 22 and 9 shells that we for the most part picked through but this came in real nice right at 38-39 around 6 inches deep. That particular type of spoon and the back where the bowl is connected to the stem comes from as late as 1810 but from what people have been saying it could be from earlier than that. Which aligns with the age of the property. The makers mark is confusing because its the same one twice. My best guess is that it is Joseph Smith from Boston who had a pretty much the same makers mark. However, There are a few people with I (J) S or SI initials and makers marks so hopefully someone can find it. But this is my first Silver spoon fully intact and for sure the oldest I've found. I can connect it with the site too which is awesome. Thanks for looking!

DSCF0374.JPG DSCF0375.JPG DSCF0376.JPG

Upvote 15

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great stuff! And beautiful condition. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing - great saves!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon and are you sure the first item in the picture with your buttons is lead?

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a shame that amber bottle was broken! That would have been a real beauty. Finial is the only thing that comes to mind on the brass piece, which is pretty cool looking. Nice hunt! By the way, next time you see that kid, throw a rock at him! :laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds and that amber bottle is killer.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon and are you sure the first item in the picture with your buttons is lead?

yes unfortunately I'm 99% sure.. Fooled me at first tho. Thanks

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a shame that amber bottle was broken! That would have been a real beauty. Finial is the only thing that comes to mind on the brass piece, which is pretty cool looking. Nice hunt! By the way, next time you see that kid, throw a rock at him! :laughing7:

When i saw it in the mud and rocks and bricks i saw that it was broken and it broke my heart! Yeah i gave the kid a wheat penny i found too...should have thrown the rock at him.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. Love that sppon.

Yeah i told the ol lady "Here you go theres your silverware" since i said it was dumb to register for silverware for our wedding. lol

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Stef, silver spoon is certainly the best dig that site has turned up in a while. Good luck with midterms

Thanks bud! Yeah dude we need the owners to clear the crap for us so we can get the treasures!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a really awesome spoon! Congrats on another nice dig.

penniesmine

Jan 17, 2010
Low Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC/ Fisher F-75 Special Edittion LTD Black Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stef.. That thing that screamed your ears out is a part to a Candle stick holder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread