My "rocket" I found is really a WWII bomb, I donated it to museum with other finds

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "rocket" I found is really a WWII bomb, I donated it to museum with other finds

I went to the local museum for AAF WWII things and talked to their expert about the "hobby rocket" I found Monday. He is a nice older veteran that explained my rocket is a practice bomb used for targeting. It would emit smoke and a flare when shot from the plane. He surmised that it was either miss dropped, which he explained happened a lot. He said the pilots that were training there were focusing on formation flying more than bomb placement. Or it was a surplus buy and set off by kids back in the day just to see what it would do.
I also took two of my other finds from my lake hunting that both had AAF insignia's on them, one a sweetheart bracelet made of sterling silver and the other a ring made of white metal. I'm going to include pix of all the finds. They said they would display my finds at the museum and thanked me for donating them. It has been a long time since I found the jewelry items, but taking away from my treasure hunting time was very hard for me to do, lol. It's raining today so I really did not feel like getting all wet and muddy.
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Resized_20161107_123648.jpg 20160822_115018.jpg 20160822_115013.jpg 20160822_115009.jpg 20160822_114818.jpg 20160822_114747.jpg 20160822_114733.jpg Resized_20161109_110806.jpg Resized_20161109_105806.jpg Resized_20161107_123811.jpg Resized_20161107_123805.jpg 20160822_114937.jpg

Upvote 25

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't like this post enough man! Well done Brad and that's really cool that was actually a practice bomb. I hope they put them in a nice display for others to see and learn.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg! And man, that ring is off the hook - love it.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds and so good of you to donate them to the museum for others to appreciate! :icon_thumright:

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job buddy! You are a great asset to this hobby and we all owe you a big thanks!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't like this post enough man! Well done Brad and that's really cool that was actually a practice bomb. I hope they put them in a nice display for others to see and learn.
Thanks, they told me they were putting all the stuff on display.

Wtg! And man, that ring is off the hook - love it.
Thanks

Nice stuff congrats
Thanks

Excellent finds and so good of you to donate them to the museum for others to appreciate! :icon_thumright:
Thanks

Thanks

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Brother that is way cool!! I'm not sure if I would have touched the guy! Nice treasures and gifts too the museum!!

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find Brad! When you texted that pic I said "nice knowing you". Then you text me a pic with it in your hand?! lol. That was awesome.

I nominated your post to "honorable mention". I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to do that, but I sent something to the mods anyway. I think it's great that you donated the practice bomb to a museum. That's awesome.

It's also a great tip of the hat to all the WWII vets. Cheers bud

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Treb? Maybe they can give you a plug? Donated from the collection of that legendary metal detectorist, Treblehunter!!

Way to go!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice touch! I've done the same, but not on this magnitude. Congrats and good for you.

aj

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job !
I like that bracelet.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice story. I tried to donate one of my WW1 Mark 1 practice bombs to Selfridge ANG museum and they were kind of rude. Told me they already had one. Along with the Lewis machine gun magazine. So I have kept them all. Glad they were interested in your unique find. I would love to find one of them however they stopped using the lake as a bombing range in 1920.

Your bomb is interesting. Do you know the name of it? Looks like the fins folded and sprung out when released. Do you know what kind of plane dropped them?

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go, Brad! And you can always "visit" your finds at the museum. -Lisa & John

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post Brad, that's a cool deed you did. I also nominate honorable mention, ya can't get
much more honorable than donating finds to a museum. :notworthy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother that is way cool!! I'm not sure if I would have touched the guy! Nice treasures and gifts too the museum!!
Thanks Joe

That's a great find Brad! When you texted that pic I said "nice knowing you". Then you text me a pic with it in your hand?! lol. That was awesome.

I nominated your post to "honorable mention". I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to do that, but I sent something to the mods anyway. I think it's great that you donated the practice bomb to a museum. That's awesome.

It's also a great tip of the hat to all the WWII vets. Cheers bud
Thanks Steve

Hey Treb? Maybe they can give you a plug? Donated from the collection of that legendary metal detectorist, Treblehunter!!

Way to go!
Thank you Gary

Nice touch! I've done the same, but not on this magnitude. Congrats and good for you.

aj
Thanks aj

Great job !
I like that bracelet.
That bracelet was one of my all time favorites, I'm glad they loved it, it made me feel good that they did. Thanks Rick

Nice story. I tried to donate one of my WW1 Mark 1 practice bombs to Selfridge ANG museum and they were kind of rude. Told me they already had one. Along with the Lewis machine gun magazine. So I have kept them all. Glad they were interested in your unique find. I would love to find one of them however they stopped using the lake as a bombing range in 1920.

Your bomb is interesting. Do you know the name of it? Looks like the fins folded and sprung out when released. Do you know what kind of plane dropped them?
The expert told me the name, ha I don't remember, it was not a B52 I never asked a name for the practice bomb, but like I said it was a flare and smoke for targeting where they would bomb.
Thanks

Way to go, Brad! And you can always "visit" your finds at the museum. -Lisa & John
Thanks Lisa (and John) I figured that would be cool too, visiting them, lol

Awesome post Brad, that's a cool deed you did. I also nominate honorable mention, ya can't much more honorable than donating finds to a museum. :notworthy:
Thanks Kevin, and thank you for your service to our great country, that is MUCH more hororable.

And thanks to all you guys who served in our armed forces!

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What diameter is the round? To me, that looks like a 30mm fin stabilized round. The fins are retracted in the shell casing, then after leaving the barrel, spring open. We used to pick up something similar from the A10....

Blue does mean training and/or inert.

30mm.jpg

Bomblets did not have the tip like that, the tips were rounded.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treble, what in the world are you getting into man, digging rockets and stuff :laughing7:.. congrats on the bracelet, and the rocket:laughing7: thats one for the books

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread