Huge Bucket Lister For Me....Luckenbooth Silver Trade Brooch

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me just say that this Luckenbooth brooch is something I have always wanted to find. I have never obsessed about it like some other things because you rarely see them pop up and it's something that I knew I may never dig. A lot of my Scottish ancestors settled in this area and my mom and I have talked about how cool it would be to find one of these brooches. Now for the very strange coincidence. It was just the other day that Patriot dug one of these as well as an antler. Well I too dug an antler today as well as an iron shoe and a tiny shoe buckle frame. I also dug the guts of a shoe buckle, a destroyed colonial cufflink and a more modern link as well. But enough about that stuff....let's talk about the Luckenbooth brooch. I was hunting for a super early site (1660-1688) and having zero luck finding anything. Then I got into a small iron patch and got a crappy signal that had some iron mixed in. I knew it was deep but figured it was a deep nail. dug about 10" plug and that baby came out of the bottom. It took a minute for it to hit me. It didn't look silver when it came out and I wasn't quite sure if it was colonial. I figured it was early with the crown on top and started to believe it could possibly be Luckenbooth but didn't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. I texted Scrappy and OutdoorAdv and eventually it was confirmed that it likely was what I hoped it was. I still didn't allow myself to believe it was silver though.
Finally I got home and rubbed a little lemon juice on it. Sure enough it cleaned up great and I knew it was early silver. Super psyched to have found this and even more psyched to give it to my mom who will truly appreciate it. Thanks for listening to my rambling guys
IMG_5429.JPG
FullSizeRender 15.jpg
IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 50

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha that's pretty funny man! I'm pretty sure he's a bit jealous of our Luckenbooth club lol. Little did I know it would be with the same find. I'm guessing they would never put mine up beside yours but I'm super happy that we both found a big bucket lister. I have wanted one since I first knew what they were man

That's right, it's a club now...even his detecting buddy who posted his on your thread has one...he'll be out like a mad man in that spandex suit...

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right, it's a club now...even his detecting buddy who posted his on your thread has one...he'll be out like a mad man in that spandex suit...

Yeah....damn I hope that thing is insulated! It's starting to get cold [emoji23]

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not easy to find something that guy hasn't found! He's got more Rev War buttons than I have large cents!!!!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find man! Love the early silver items! The fact you have heritage connections makes it that much better! I say banner! Thanks for sharing and good luck and HH

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm all smiles for you over in The Grants, Abe. What an exquisite and meaningful find on every level.

As a speculative aside on synchronicity, just what do you think the chances are of you finding both an antler and a 300 year old brooch on the same hunt within a week of The Patriot? This sure beats the hell out of a lightning strike : )

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find! Can't believe two of these were posted so close together! Love that old silver! Definitely not a common find. I'll share mine even though I put it in the other thread. Figured you might like to see some other examples. Mines a different style obviously and dates to 1760.

Luckenbooth.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful and rare recovery, i had not seen one before, killer find.

Thanks Evan. Something I had kind of forgotten about. You just don't see them too often. I was some happy when it clicked and I realized what it might actually be. You getting out much bud?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whooooo! Now that's a very fine save buddy. When you texted that one with "old?????". I said out loud "**** yes that's old!" Again, I didn't know for sure, but the Claddagh design on the top I knew was an old design. All of which was later confirmed by Brad.

I'm so happy that spot coughed up a few winner finds. You've been talking about that site for a while. Now we haven't debriefed yet, but I'll say that I'm not sure you landed directly on the Frog site yet.

Great iron buckle too. I know a guy who can preserve that. Lol.

Cheers

Yes my friend I had a feeling I knew what it was but did t want to get my hopes up. Figured I would ask some "experts" lol. I'm excited to do electrolysis on the iron shoe buckle. I rarely find those.

I def did not find what I was looking for but will continue the search at some point.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word! AWESOME! Huge congrats!

Well....you my friend have set the bar so high for killer early finds I had to come up with something lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your awesome find. Mom is going to love it!

Yup she's going to really like this one! Usually I just get the "yeah that's great honey" from the gf and moms. But the gf loved this find and mom will really love it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!! All I know about that piece is that it is beautiful!! Congratulations............

Thanks Chizzy. Pretty amazing that they made these amazing pieces back then

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brooch is incredible man :occasion14: I have to tell ya, while I was trying to figure out what it was when you were still hunting I googled "two hearts and crown". The first hit is the Luckenbooth wiki page and the second is the Claddagh wiki page... I skipped right over the Luckenbooth page and went straight to the Claddagh page. Why? Well I thought "Luckenbooth" was some sort of jewelry brand like "Tiffanys" for no reason other than it sounded like a jewelry maker. :laughing7: It wasnt until after I read all about "Claddagh" and "Fede", that I opened the Luckenbooth page and instantly :lightbulb: That is one KILLER find and a centerpiece in any display. WOW!

I'm not really impressed with those shoe buckles because I actually expect you to dig one every time you go out now. haha

Thanks buddy and thanks for doing the research while I was in the field. I was really hoping you guys would come back with Luckenboooth. I still wasn't convinced it was silver but was ecstatic when I put a bit of lemon juice on it at home. Love the look of old tarnished silver! I came very close to not digging that terrible signal. Deep and irony. Like I told you guys....if this had been a couple of years ago it would still be in the dirt. I often wonder what else I have skipped over????

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my God. That thing is incredible. Rarity and beauty in one piece is a killer combo, and I can see why it was on your list. For a guy who doesn't get out to hunt very often (compared to many, at least) you sure make your hunts count, Abe. Happy as hell for ya. If there were a banner button on the app I'd hit it now. I'll have to remember to do it later from my laptop.

Ha there you are old friend! I knew you'd appreciate this one. Even though you blew past the rest of us with an extremely rare and valuable Mass silver. Glad you still have time for the little people bro lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Abe! Congratulations-that thing is in outstanding condition; I know you must be stoked.

Thanks Glenn. Yup I could not be happier man. Beats most of the Spanish coins I could find on an early site....with a couple of exceptions lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread