1721 silver reale found while hunting civil war site. Near mint condition.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 1721 silver reale found while hunting civil war site. Near mint condition.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil, Garrett Sea Hunter
    311 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I was hunting at the Diggin n Virginia hunt earlier this month and found my oldest coin to date. It is a 1721 silver reale in near mint condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	059.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	1385186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	1385187  

us
    John Scott

Sep 2014
    Salem, NY
    AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
    239 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm not saying you didn't dig this. What I'm thinking is the Reale, Real. It would indeed be a very rare find in that condition. Any I have ever seen have been well circulated and worn. Yours appears to have been cut on the day it was made. Is it possible that you were in an area of any re enactments ? The old saying goes if it looks too good to be true then it probablly isn't. If it is real, it's the most pristine Reale I have ever seen that was dug.
    Last edited by Rustynailsandscrews; Nov 26, 2016 at 09:54 AM.

us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    13021 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats, that is in excellent condition
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil, Garrett Sea Hunter
    311 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is what a couple guys told me right after I dug it. Saying it had to have been cut pretty close to when minted. Most of the cut pieces I have seen were pretty well worn. I was hunting near a couple pits that were being dug. One was for bottles and the other was for Shaler bullets. He got 860 complete Shalers out of that hole. I walked a few feet away and dug this on the second signal. I thought it was another bullet as it was the same tone. By the way another guy dug a 1858 flying eagle and the reverse was a 1859 Indian Head penny. Very rare die error. A lot of great finds are recovered on these hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynailsandscrews View Post
    I'm not saying you didn't dig this. What I'm thinking is the Reale, Real. It would indeed be a very rare find in that condition. Any I have ever seen have been well circulated and worn. Yours appears to have been cut on the day it was made. Is it possible that you were in an area of any re enactments ? The old saying goes if it looks too good to be true then it probablly isn't. If it is real, it's the most pristine Reale I have ever seen that was dug.
    treblehunter likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    The Grants
    Etrac
    1426 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't feel dubious about it. There are clear signs of wear and it doesn't look like it came from a sock drawer, and the member has a long history. In fact, I think questioning a members finds violates the rules: report it to mods if you have legit reasons to be concerned as to the authenticity.

So good on ya, treasurehound, a great find!

That said, in the PV (post-Vino) tnet, I do love to see the "pre" pics of more special finds. Call me Dirt McGirt...
    Scrappy, CRUSADER, Jeff H and 2 others like this.
    I have but three things to teach: simplicity, patience, and compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. -Lao Tzu

Those who do not look upon themselves as a link connecting the past with the future, do not perform their duty to the world. - Daniel Webster

Fun Finds:
    2017 GW Button
    2016 Colonial Spanish silver pocket spill, Beauty Connie, Krampus
    2015 3 State Copper Day, Colonial coin purse with 12 half pennies

us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    17th century
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    13115 times
    FOUNDING MEMBER: Basstards of Bramble
    Banner Finds (6)

Absolutely real and shows signs of circulation wear. Sometimes the first comment of a thread sets a tone, however like Z.K, I have no doubt it's of period and completely legit.

Congrats on the find.
    screwynewy, Jeff H and Don in SJ like this.

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 14
    Transitional US State Coppers - 9
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 131
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 107
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - We’ll over a 1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 Regal King George II Farthing
    1776 Counter King George iii

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    311 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here is a pic from the field right after I dug it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161104_145158.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	1385189  
    TXPIRATE and cw0909 like this.

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    311 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thank you Z.K. I don't need to post fake finds and hate those that do. It really doesn't offend me if people think its fake. Everyone has their opinions. But to question if it was dug or not.... I showed this to a big time coin collector who was at the hunt and he identified it for me. I had no idea on the date and he was showing me all the markings that id's it. He also said it was probably cut shortly after minted. Yes it was dug. Yes it was verified by collector at the hunt. Thank you for all your replies. It is my oldest coin to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Z.K. View Post
    I don't feel dubious about it. There are clear signs of wear and it doesn't look like it came from a sock drawer, and the member has a long history. In fact, I think questioning a members finds violates the rules: report it to mods if you have legit reasons to be concerned as to the authenticity.

So good on ya, treasurehound, a great find!

That said, in the PV (post-Vino) tnet, I do love to see the "pre" pics of more special finds. Call me Dirt McGirt...

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynailsandscrews View Post
    This is a ridiculous and totally uniformed comment. Any coin, regardless of age, can be lost not long after it was minted and be in exceptional condition. I've dug almost 200 colonial silver coins, including about 85 cut pieces, and they've been recovered in conditions ranging from totally slick and almost unidentifiable to pristine with almost no wear at all (very similar to this one). I can post pics if needed, but Treasurehound's coin appears to be 100% legit. Please don't criticize other's finds when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

UPDATE: Here's a small sampling of some dug silver coins that exhibit little wear, and I can post many more like these examples. Click on the photo to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver coins.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	1385192
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); Nov 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 800
    3171 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I totally agree-it's 100 percent real and in superb condition with very slight wear-congrats

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8302 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    This is a ridiculous and totally uniformed comment. Any coin, regardless of age, can be lost not long after it was minted and be in exceptional condition. I've dug almost 200 colonial silver coins, including about 85 cut pieces, and they've been recovered in conditions ranging from totally slick and almost unidentifiable to pristine with almost no wear at all (very similar to this one). I can post pics if needed, but Treasurehound's coin appears to be 100% legit. Please don't criticize other's finds when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

UPDATE: Here's a small sampling of some dug silver coins that exhibit little wear, and I can post many more like these examples. Click on the photo to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver coins.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	1385192
    If anybody needs more confirmation look a some of the early silvers dug by Cru and others. 100% legit and a killer find. I'm glad we have enough informed members so these comments don't gain any traction. Never want to see a great legit find detracted from. Congrats OP
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7094 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    awesome save

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina
    CTX-3030, Deus XP HF Round/Elliptical, White's TRX Pinpointer
    5144 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Outstanding condition on your cut pistareen, and as others have mentioned it's certainly the reale deal
    2019 Best Coins

-1695 William III Halfpenny
    -1722 Rosa Americana

2019 Best Relics

-SC 3rd Regiment of Rangers Button
    -3rd American Regiment Button (NY Volunteers)
    -1st Regiment of Infantry Cuff (1808)
    -Infantry Script I Coat
    -Infantry Script I Cuffs
    -1812 US Coat
    -1812 US Cuff
    -Colonial Pewter Ingot
    -Hotchkiss Lead Sabot
    -Southern #8 Hat Badge
    -Federal GS Eagle buttons

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19488 times
    Quote Originally Posted by treasurehound View Post
    I was hunting at the Diggin n Virginia hunt earlier this month and found my oldest coin to date. It is a 1721 silver reale in near mint condition.
    The kind of recovery seen at eyes closed time at night,for many days after.
    Congrats on the oldest ,and take them as they come, but what good fortune on the condition.
    A recovery like that would probably find me unfit to hunt after. For a few minutes anyway...and not too focused after.
    Quite the site of the hunt.

us
    Dec 2009
    NW Georgia
    Whites MXT, XLT
    530 times
    Great coin find TH. Condition is great and no sign of any damage in recovering it. With my luck (and as dry as it is here) my pinpointing would have been off and I would have dinged it. Be proud of that find, it's definitely a keeper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links