Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunday's finds and cleaning question

Got out to an old homesite I haven't hunted in a couple of years and found a Jefferson nickel from probably the forties or fifties and a token. The token is from the Hartselle Dairy (Hartselle's the small town I live in) good for an amount of milk (quart? gallon?). It's aluminum and has corrosion on part of it making it impossible to read all of the words. The corrosion is like what I've found on Alabama tax tokens also made of aluminum. It's very hard, almost like calcium deposits. Anyone ever successfully clean this type of crud off of aluminum?

Thanks,

Kent

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sunday's finds and cleaning question

Nope, usually doesn't come off very well, and if you take it off, it destroys the coin, token, etc. even more :(
Best thing to do is, try a little tooth paste and a soft brush and get off what comes off, and call it good.

OP
OP
Kent in AL

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the replies. Ever notice how a piece of scrap aluminum comes out of the ground all slick and clean but aluminum tokens are usually corroded. DOH! :'(

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found one here in Arkansas good for $1.00 off a suit that was pretty badly corroded and I used my dremel with a brass or stainless brush attachment and it cleaned it off really good...might give it a try in a very small area just to see what it will do to the token before you clean the whole thing....

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

If you try it, test it on an Alabama tax token 1st! Remember condition on tokens is about like coins, gotta be careful about the cleaning process. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread