Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a freaken "Piece of 8" yesterday :headbang:

Now for the story. Due to family and friend obligations, it had been 4 weeks since I was able to get out. It was killing me, but I was stopping by tnet from time-to-time to get my fix and tie me over. I was finally able to get a few hours yesterday morning to get out and hunt. We got a ton of rain, so sifting was not an option. Instead I charged up my T2 batteries and put on the 5" coil with the plan to see if I could snipe something in the iron, in the wet ground, that the 9" coil on the Deus couldn't get. I also wanted to try my new 405lb magnet, that is twice as strong as the 250lb one I've been using.

This is the area I've been sifting and its been gone over for 100's of hours, with many machines, with many coils. Everything left is masked which is why I sift. I dug a few nails with the T2 and got a crappy iron signal, popped the plug and there was a KG copper. I noticed some glass in the plug and since it was only feet from where my last sifting section ended, I decided to open up a section. I switched over to the Deus. Since it was too wet to sift, I basically did all the same things I would normally do, with the exception of sifting the dirt back in. After removing the sod and breaking up the dirt, I started using my machine and magnet to remove the iron. I got a nice signal and expected a button, but was surprised when I saw the 5 of a shield nickel... I couldn't believe the condition of it. A couple minutes later, after removing more dirt, I got a slamming signal in the bottom of the clay and popped out another copper with a piece of pottery. My day was made!

I had a bit more time, so I expanded the section a couple feet over. After breaking up the dirt I had a booming 92 on the Deus. That's a high number and the signal was so loud I was nearly certain it would be a piece of flat iron or tin. I'm used to that type of signal when sifting, and its always a piece of iron. I kicked the pile of loose dirt to see if the signal stayed as incredible as it was... it disappeared and I was left with iron grunts from all the nails. So I was certain it was a piece of flat iron. A couple minutes later I heard it again, in a small clod I kicked off the pile that had rolled to the side wall. So now I was excited.

I locate the tiny clod making the signal, flip it over and see a piece of cut Spanish... not just any piece, but a THICK piece.

Dug photos.jpg

I enjoyed this clod of dirt for about 5 minutes. Taking pictures with a couple cameras and texting a few friends. It's one of the best feelings ever and I was all smiles. I finally grabbed a bottle of water, soaked the clod and popped it out.

It was a 45 degree slice of an 8 reales, or 1/8th of an 8, or "a piece of 8"... with the value of 1 real.

IMG_20161204_121920030.jpg

I have an 8 reales at home (bought) and lined the slice on it to photograph where this piece came from on the coin.

IMG_20161204_122215922.jpg

I cut and rotated the image of my slice to show how the complete coin would have been sliced up into 8 pieces.

IMG_20161204_122215922 - Copy.jpg

What a great hunt to end a month long period of obligations and chores! A piece of an 8 reales wasnt even on my radar... so far fetched for me that I never even wished I'd dig one. What a great surprise!

The group shot included some buttons, one is a nice etched tombac, some glass and a young buck antler. Another interesting piece is a broken lead comb that is very thick. Nothing great in terms of iron turned up, but I did get a few nice hammered nails, none of which I have tumbled yet.

IMG_20161204_121351688.jpg

IMG_20161204_121312017.jpg

This is a little "modern" for this site, but the condition of this nickel was incredible. It came out of the dirt looking just like this. A light dry brush and a little skin oil is all I did. It looks like its 1868. But for a while I thought it was 1881, which is a key date, but the junk after the last 8, that looks like a 1, is not part of the date!

IMG_20161204_123206349.jpg

The KG is crusty and holed, but it looks like a KG2 based on the left facing silhouette I think I see on the front. I hate electrolysis on coppers, but there appears to be a scale on this one and it might actually be in okay condition under all that verdigris. I'm torn on trying to clean it anymore, but I may get bored and see if light electrolysis will break off that scale for me.

IMG_20161204_121756204.jpg

The other copper is thicker and smooth. I cant really see any identifying marks on it.

IMG_20161204_121807781.jpg

The etched tombac is identical to another I found here in the past. It still need some more cleaning to remove the verdigris.

IMG_20161204_121844998.jpg

The buckle fragment matched another broken piece from a previous hunt. I have over a dozen broken shoe buckles from this spot and I have started to find matching pieces to the breaks. Hopefully at some point I will complete a couple of the broken frames.

IMG_20161204_125607474.jpg

The 4 coins before cleaning.

IMG_20161203_115959.jpg

And the bowl of iron and glass.

IMG_20161204_105948.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread