SHERIFF'S BADGE AND SOME SILVERS!

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
Wow. What a day!
I was with my detecting buddies Steve and Bus Driver Don. Don got the nickname because he is always taking us to school when it comes to detecting. We have a light hearted competition of who will find the best, most, or oldest finds during the hunt. Even though I am in the game, my money is always on Don to come out ahead.
Earlier in the year I came into contact with a local guy, Steve K. He is in his 70s and had lost his dad's WWII gold pilot's ring doing fall cleanup in the yard 60 some years ago. His mother still owns his boyhood home and he wanted to find the lost ring, as it is very sentimental to him. I had searched the garden a couple months ago where he recalls losing the ring. But, did not have any luck finding it.
We had time to kill before we were scheduled to go to Steve K's for the attempted pilot ring recovery. We decided to hit a couple unproductive parks. One is very old, the other newer. There was the typical newer pocket change at the old park. The Bus Driver managed to find a 1945 Canadian penny, which put him on the top of the leader board and had Steve and me in the familiar catch up position in the competition.
The 1950s park offered up some good finds. Of course Don right away pulls out a 1940s silver Mexico 20 cent piece that had been converted into a necklace. I noted the fact that he was having an international finds kind of day given that he had found that Canadian penny earlier. He was still ahead, but Steve and I had found a silver Rosie, a couple of Mercs, and a silver quarter between us. At least the skunk was out of the box and we all had silvers on the board. Even if we found nothing else we could chalk it up as a good day.
We made our way over to Steve K's place. We spread out in the backyard in the corner where he remembers losing the ring. Steve K. was sitting in a lawn chair watching us hunt. About 20 minutes in I made it over to the area where his boyhood swing sat. I had found some wheaties there on a previous hunt. I got an interesting signal and dug a plug. I got that big silver rush when I saw a half dollar sized coin in the dirt. My finds portfolio is skinny on silver halves, so I was happy to see it sitting there. Even better was that it was a Franklin. The first in my collection. There ended up being a silver Washington in the hole too. Less than 30 seconds later my buddy Steve finds a Walker half near by. So now we are way ahead of lucky Don. He did manage to find a cool silver 191? French Franc coin that had been cut in half and made into a necklace charm. It played well into the international finds theme that he had going. But, I knew that he knew he was behind in the count given the big silvers Steve and I had just dug. About the only way he is going to beat us was to find that missing gold pilot's ring before we did.
About another 20 minutes had passed. I was 20 yards away when I heard Bus Driver Don exclaim something and head over to Steve K. to excitedly show him a find. At first I thought it was the ring. But, it was too big and silvery in his hand. I heard something about a badge. Sure enough, it looked like one of those big Lone Ranger cereal toys Steve K. probably lost in the yard when he was a kid. As I got closer I heard Steve K. say, " It has my dad's name on it." Sure enough, Steve's dad for a short time was a county deputy sheriff and he was holding his long lost badge from the 1940s that Don had just recovered. Steve K. went in to show his mom. Later he told me that he does not remember, but apparently he had lost it playing with it without permission as a kid. His dad had been issued a new one which Steve K. still has. He said the recovered one would be displayed next to the replacement.
Like I had said: Wow. What a day. The weather was perfect even though we are really late into fall, I got to hang out with my best friends on probably the last hunt of the season, I befriended some great people, got to see one heck of a personalized find make its way back to an appreciative family member, we all found some good finds, Steve and I got bested again by The Bus Driver, and the gold pilot's ring is still there waiting for a spring time reunion.
badge.JPG finds.jpg

Upvote 39

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some awesome finds. I hope you guys can get the ring.Congrats:occasion14:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! And good post. Good luck with the ring and let us know

HH RN

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Steve is in his 70's and still tearing his parents yard.
Good read and good luck next spring.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. period

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A most excellent adventure.
Congratulations to all of you.
By process of elimination, , you will find that ring.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually don't read long stories....but the pics of the goodies got me all riled up, so I jumped on board.
Great story, you guys killed it for sure.
My only question.....who are you?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large amount of silver finds! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver haul and the return of the badge, great hunt!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, hope you guys can find that ring.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should have no trouble finding a gold pilot ring from WW2. I found one from 1946 or the year after the war ended. They are very large 10K rings. Should have the class on the side and name or initials engraved. The one I found had class 55-N on it. It weighed 20 + grams if I remember right.

Looks like you had a great day finding other treasures. Good luck on finding the ring.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds there...any one of which would have made my day

strick

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great story. I read every word and I loved it. Great job.
Hh gl. Hunting with friends is great ai t it !!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post great to hunt with friends and some friendly competition I love the halves nice big gobs of silver and that ring will show itself sooner or later Good job!!!!!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt and awesome job finding Steve K's dads long lost badge. I bet he was thrilled to have that to display next to the other one. And great job on those silvers too!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome story. What a neat thing to recover for your friend. I'll bet he was tickled pink.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Wow that's one heck of a haul, congrats to you and your buddies!!

HH,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread