1482891436955.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 50

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G looks like a British date letter to me.
Screenshot_2016-12-28-20-52-08.png
Could be coin silver with pseudo - British hallmarks. Here is AEW coin silver, could be your maker?
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39011

Your item was made by Andrew Ellicott Warner, US Coin Silversmith, Baltimore MD, in about 1802, final answer
Screenshot_2016-12-28-21-28-26.png

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FoundinNC nailed it. It appears that this is a terrific historic piece related to Maryland's history. The second hallmark is from the coat of arms of George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore. (What do you think Bill D?) The Calvert family coat of arms was later used for the design of the well-known state flag of Maryland. If indeed the OP's piece was manufactured in 1802, it would have been a very early piece by Andrew Ellicott Warner (1786-1870). IMO this looks like a banner- quality find.

Flag History

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note that the quadrants of the hallmark have been reversed from those of the coat of arms:
attachment.php
b8164a465bc249949d6a2fb1c0133c71.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find! :occasion14:

It sure looks like a trunk plate, good luck on the ID. :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just voted BANNER.

I now think its important to email this series of hallmarks to a leading expert/Museum.
I have a strong feeling that this combination has not been recorded before now!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because we have a date & we know it has been personalised on the front with an old English script letter 'H' we can speculate the following;
It was commissioned for an important family, & the right researcher/expert 'maybe' able to speculate who that was!

OP
OP
P

Peaches

Greenie
May 31, 2014
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is amazing! Thank you all for the information. It was found in Maryland very close to Calvert history. I was unsure of the script as well. Thanks so much.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, please don't clean this important find. You may have a museum piece.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! Excellent group effort by all getting this ID. I'll second Cru's notion and throw down a banner vote on this one.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peaches... Super great find... :)) It's awesome... !!

Please have it tested to be sure its really silver...

Gary from Oregon...

Lots of guessing and speculation going on here... :/ Lets find the facts...

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep thinking about the reversal of the four quadrants in the Calvert coat of arms. The striped quadrants represent the Calvert family and the crosses represent the Crossland family (George Calvert's mother's side of the family). Notice that the diagonals of the striped Calvert quandrants are going in the opposite directions as they are in the coat of arms. Why? Maybe this hallmark is actually a mirror image of the Calvert coat of arms. A mirror image of this hallmark looks exactly right. Could it be that a 16 year old apprentice silversmith named Andrew Ellicott Warner actually made a mistake? Did he make the "stamp" looking correct, only to have the imprinted hallmark show the design in reverse? Just a thought.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I keep thinking about the reversal of the four quadrants in the Calvert coat of arms. The striped quadrants represent the Calvert family and the crosses represent the Crossland family (George Calvert's mother's side of the family). Notice that the diagonals of the striped Calvert quandrants are going in the opposite directions as they are in the coat of arms. Why? Maybe this hallmark is actually a mirror image of the Calvert coat of arms. A mirror image of this hallmark looks exactly right. Could it be that a 16 year old apprentice silversmith named Andrew Ellicott Warner actually made a mistake? Did he make the "stamp" looking correct, only to have the imprinted hallmark show the design in reverse? Just a thought.
If you turn the item 90 degrees the coat of arms is a perfect match.. Just sayin.. I am also voting banner

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. If you turn it 90 degrees you do get a match. But weren't the hallmarks meant to be seen from one side, so that the "G" was oriented correctly? It appears to be an error either way. But like Cru noted earlier, the hallmarks are on the back of the plate so they were not going to be viewed on the installed product anyway.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. If you turn it 90 degrees you do get a match. But weren't the hallmarks meant to be seen from one side, so that the "G" was oriented correctly? It appears to be an error either way. But like Cru noted earlier, the hallmarks are on the back of the plate so they were not going to be viewed on the installed product anyway.
Normally yes, but even the same silversmith would stamp them all different directions. Seen it many times, but I have no reason why. Seen many up-side-down.

To the OP there is no need to test it (Normally a destructive method) or clean it. There is no speculation when IDing silver that came from the ground, trust me I can tell it a million miles away. Silver-smiths did not hallmark silver plate in this manner. It SCREAMS silver to me, I dig a lot of it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peaches... Super great find... :)) It's awesome... !!

Please have it tested to be sure its really silver...

Gary from Oregon...

Lots of guessing and speculation going on here... :/ Lets find the facts...

I don't think anyone is guessing or speculating. Its been determined its a engraved name plate from a trunk or box, made by the silversmith Andrew Ellicott Warner in Baltimore Maryland in 1802. This was all done through hours of research by multiple people. As Cru said, its a marked piece of early American silver... I don't think the OP is wanting to sell it for scrap to a pawn shop, so I don't see the point in having it tested to verify whats already been found out. Now, if there were no marks on it at all that would be a different story.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a spectacular and unique find! Congrats on some very early American silver! :metaldetector::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread