Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not horse rosettes, not saddle shields, no, not buckles. A freaking horse. Or what's left of one. Dozer was tearing up some woods, I spotted a few bigger bones, thought they were cow bones, because there was a fire pit nearby.

HOWEVER, I then saw a complete HOOF from a HORSE in the middle of the dozer track.

Kind of went yuck, and moved on a few feet to find some CW relics. Did not see a shoe on it. Should I go back and retrieve it?

I assume from the battle which was less than a mile away.

EEWWWWWWWWWW!

Upvote 4

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, you got shoe for it

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shoe on it. Found a few nearby.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure to the actual age. It was in an area with a lot of ash, could be newer of course. Not taking it home......

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...moved on a few feet to find some CW relics...I assume from the battle which was less than a mile away.
metal_detector.gif
Dang Smokey - I would run back and start swinging! Who knows - you might find a Colt 1860 Army, Saber or even the rider? :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! where are the Pics :icon_scratch:

scour that site :icon_thumright:

Maybe find a Bullet used to put it down !
they shot horses didn't they ?

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the skeleton back together and Identify whose horse it was...JK. I would definitely comb thru the area for sure.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure a DNA test on the hook would be in order. Jeff will pay for it.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why this hobby is so interesting, you just never know what you're going to find.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, it's still in the woods, like I really want to bring it home? It will probably be there when I go back, I'll get a picture then.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are such a sissy

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this where we quote the dead horse head in the bed thing from "The Godfather"? If I pick it up, you'll give me your (or your neighbor's address) to send it to, right? Right now the cat is sick. Icky cold and been getting rid of hairballs. I MIGHT go tomorrow and will get pics if I go.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live just down the road from a village called Horseheads that has some neat history behind it. Below is the Wikipedia info on it. General Sullivan came through this area with many troops and equipment. Hoping to find some of it this year.

It was the first of September 1779. Under orders the forces of General John Sullivan, burdened down with heavy military equipment, marched north in their 450-mile (720 km) journey through a wooded wilderness from Easton, Pennsylvania, over to Wyoming, Pennsylvania, and on up the Susquehanna River to Newtown (Elmira). They continued north through what is now known as Horseheads to the Finger Lakes region and west to Genesee.[2] They returned about three weeks later, having accomplished the purpose for which they had set out. The larger portion of the army under the immediate command of General Sullivan returned by the way it went.

The journey had been particularly severe and wearing upon the animals, and their food supply was found insufficient. Arriving about 6 miles (10 km) north of Fort Reid on September 24, 1779, they were obliged to dispose of a large number of sick and disabled horses. The number of horses was so great that they were quite noticeable, and the native Iroquois collected the skulls and arranged them in a line along the trail. From that time forward, that spot was referred to as the "valley of the horses' heads" and is still known by the name given to it by the Iroquois.[3]

Around 1787, the first settlers arrived, making the area one of the first in the county to be populated. The town of Horseheads was formed from the towns of Elmira and Chemung in 1835. Fairport, the current village of Horseheads, set itself off from the town by becoming an incorporated village in 1837. The former Chemung Canal passed through the town.[4]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread