New cornfield with new friends produces 1798 10 C !!!!!!!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My head is reeling, I had 5 guys come hunt with me late this afternoon, they all work and hunt at nights allot. We were all meeting up at a cornfield a friend gave me permission to hunt. I went an hour early with Joe (from yesterday) 3 pm. We hunted until the other guys got there at 4. At five the only coin I found was a 1967 Wash Quarter. I was not feeling it. I talked with the other guys and we decided to move to plan B. On the ride there the new guy Jim tells my buddy he found this "silver coin" I don't want to offend Jim. He found it five minutes after they got there and never told anyone just because he didn't think it was a big deal. Now understand, people are all different, he has shared with me he has a very extensive coin collection. So Value is a very relative thing. I'm just glad I'm part of this.
Please help me ID this coin, I'm going to post the pix I have. Hopefully Jim will be able to send me better pix tomorrow. I took the first two in the dark at the second site of my other friend, freehand. I found the only other two coins of the night, the clad Wash and a Indian at the second site.

Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

20170112_1928251.jpg Resized_20170112_192920.jpg IMG_1146.PNG IMG_1148.PNG 20170112_2045061.jpg Resized_20170112_175701.jpg Resized_20170112_175713.jpg

New pix

AB6Q0653.jpg AB6Q0649.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 39

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find. Draped bust silver doesn't surface very often. You said he "he has shared with me he has a very extensive coin collection" yet he didn't realize what he had? That's kinda strange. Maybe he didn't want you to feel bad by breaking out in a happy dance in the middle of your field :dontknow:

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, unbelievable!!!
Very exciting living it, I do wish I had found it. I didn't, I gave up like a defeated trash digger, lol

Awesome find and kind of you to share the site with friends.
It's fun hunting with a bunch of guys

Man oh Man what a coin. Tell your buddy congrats, that's one all of us coin hunters would like to find.
He's reading the thread, at least I think he is. I gave him the link so he could. Thanks

Relative, indeed. What some of you guys find are awesome. Your collections are awesome.
I agree with you, I'm just saying everybody is different.

1700s US silver is a great find congrats to your friend
Thanks Art, I know your in the Early American Silver Club, someday I'll make it in there too.

Wow, definitely a rare score there. Hopefully he buys you lunch.
Thanks, I'm open for anything, but don't want to put any expectations on anyone. Like I said in the original post, I gave up and was leaving, thinking it was a bum field and probably wouldn't have returned.

Or trade him for a Morgan. Lol
I tried with an offer of three, he said he has Morgans and was not interested.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! That is a killer find. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'm sure Jim won't mind!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find. Draped bust silver doesn't surface very often. You said he "he has shared with me he has a very extensive coin collection" yet he didn't realize what he had? That's kinda strange. Maybe he didn't want you to feel bad by breaking out in a happy dance in the middle of your field :dontknow:
I found out today it was his collection from his father and according to my buddy he is just not up on coins. I know it was not long ago I didn't know my stuff.
Thanks Abe

Whoa! That is a killer find. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'm sure Jim won't mind!
Thanks Tommy

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a find Brad and you're such a great guy for sharing a site like that with him. I bet it was a thrill just to see and hold that coin. Its way up there on my wish list, but I doubt I'll ever see one. It doesn't get much better than Draped Bust silver. Thanks for sharing the story with me. It sounded like a great time man.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one beautiful dime! :notworthy:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had you found that yourself , I'm pretty sure most of us would be voting banner , That's a rare bit of Americana there ! We see a fair number of Capped Bust dug , very few Draped Bust and earlier .

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find Brad and you're such a great guy for sharing a site like that with him. I bet it was a thrill just to see and hold that coin. Its way up there on my wish list, but I doubt I'll ever see one. It doesn't get much better than Draped Bust silver. Thanks for sharing the story with me. It sounded like a great time man.
Thanks Brad, I was out in that cornfield today doing a grid search, thank God that field does not have that many signals at all in it, lol. I can run wide open and I just dig everything, EVERYTHING. Haaaaaa I found a tiny cuff button that was on top next to someones hole and a little suspender buckle that had the word imperial on it. I have to give that site a break and go hunt one of my other fields, soybeans and short grass forever........... (sing that in your head)

That is one beautiful dime! :notworthy:
It is in way better shape than the example on the NGC website. "three dozen known to exsist..." makes you think how valuable it really is.

Had you found that yourself , I'm pretty sure most of us would be voting banner , That's a rare bit of Americana there ! We see a fair number of Capped Bust dug , very few Draped Bust and earlier .
Thanks I understand.
It's banner all day in my eyes, I'll never forget that afternoon the rest of my life.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,that's one Sweet coin!! To bad T-net doesn't have an Honorable Mention for Banner finds, you'd get my vote.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Draped Bust silver is very high on my list. That's an incredible coin and in pretty damn nice condition. Glad you got to hold that baby in your big ole mitt lol

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,that's one Sweet coin!! To bad T-net doesn't have an Honorable Mention for Banner finds, you'd get my vote.
Thanks deershed, word is starting to spread like wildfire, it won't be long before the owner of the cornfield hears about that coin. I believe that guy Jim just still not have a clue as to what he found. He has been talking to my other friend that got him the invite, but has not said a word to me.

Draped Bust silver is very high on my list. That's an incredible coin and in pretty damn nice condition. Glad you got to hold that baby in your big ole mitt lol
I was looking that night at the pix and was thinking "Abe will make a crack" lol that was not my hand in the pic. (I did get to hold it for a couple seconds) I wish that Jim would send me good pix like I asked him. It is so surreal, every time I think about how rare that coin is, and how did it end up in that field.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your variety is Davis-3 RARE, but NOT the 8 over 7 Davis-2. Pretty easy to ID as the small 8 Davis 3 is separated from the 9 in the date. The Davis 2, Very Rare, 8 over 7, is closer to the 9. BANNER COIN!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your variety is Davis-3 RARE, but NOT the 8 over 7 Davis-2. Pretty easy to ID as the small 8 Davis 3 is separated from the 9 in the date. The Davis 2, Very Rare, 8 over 7, is closer to the 9. BANNER COIN!
Thanks hogge, I spoke with Jim this morning, he is still working on getting time to get a good picture of this coin. He told me he can see it is a small 8 and can see the tail of the 7 coming out the bottom of the eight. I really believe it is the JR-2 here is the link, https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...1798-7-13-stars-rev-jr-2-10c-ms-coinid-816467 I also heard later in the day from my other friend that he talked to Jim and Jim is sending it off to get slabbed. So we will really see for sure who is right?

Awesome find!!
Thanks

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call getting it slabbed ! This coin has the rarity and condition to justify the expense . Even if it gets "bodybagged " for environmental damage , or "dug condition" , the variety will be nailed down.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, the closer I look , as I was able to expand pic, you might have an 8 over 7. Funny.....the die doesn't match the date I have in Breens. Need better pics.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call getting it slabbed ! This coin has the rarity and condition to justify the expense . Even if it gets "bodybagged " for environmental damage , or "dug condition" , the variety will be nailed down.
Thanks, it's off soon to be graded

You know, the closer I look , as I was able to expand pic, you might have an 8 over 7. Funny.....the die doesn't match the date I have in Breens. Need better pics.
Just got new pix

AB6Q0649.jpg AB6Q0653.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread