1840 Republic of Texas Navy Button Alberts TX4 ~Rarity 150..!!~ Southern History

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today i made it back to the civil war site i have been hunting.
Went straight for the sweet spot in a field i tried last hunt, where i had found a couple bullets.
Found 2 more bullets right away, one being my first sharps from this area. Too bad its shaved in half.
Not long after the 2 bullets, i dug a button. It was pretty crusty, but i thought i could see an anchor on the front, and i could see part of the word waterbury on the back.
Ended up finding a few more bullets, many lead pieces, some glass, and a little brass. One brass item looks like it could be a sight for a rifle, maybe.
After about 4 or 5 hours the hot spot started petering out, i started gridding farther and farther away, and ended up with nothing to show for it.
At 7.5 hours i was done. There was alot of iron in this one area, so i might have been on another homesite that soldiers could have camped near.

After i get home and do a little cleaning on the button i can definitely see the anchor and just enough to make out the words TEXAS NAVY.
I look up Texas in my copy of Alberts book and there it is, Alberts TX4 Page 250. 1840 Republic of Texas Navy 23mm with a relative value of 150. Wow. My jaw dropped.
I kind of thought the button could be a Navy button, but knew i had never seen this design before.
Another awesome piece of southern history.

Just added what i found in Tices book at the bottom..

Attachments

• P1140001.JPG
    P1140001.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 259
  • P1140002.JPG
    P1140002.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 173
  • P1140007.JPG
    P1140007.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 199
  • P1140006.JPG
    P1140006.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 178
  • P1140003.JPG
    P1140003.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 164
  • P1140004.JPG
    P1140004.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 152
  • P1140005.JPG
    P1140005.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 151
  • P1140002.JPG
    P1140002.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1140001.JPG
    P1140001.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Upvote 34

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice button

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great button. Very rare to boot. A buddy of mine in Texas specializes in Republic of Texas buttons and wrote a book on them. He bought a property along with a couple friends where a Republic of Texas fort was located just so they could metal detect there. They have hunted it hard over the last 15 years, but they took me there last February and I found two ROT infantry buttons. Any ROT button is a banner find and even more so a Rot navy because their Navy was so small. My vote going in now.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great button. Very rare to boot. A buddy of mine in Texas specializes in Republic of Texas buttons and wrote a book on them. He bought a property along with a couple friends where a Republic of Texas fort was located just so they could metal detect there. They have hunted it hard over the last 15 years, but they took me there last February and I found two ROT infantry buttons. Any ROT button is a banner find and even more so a Rot navy because their Navy was so small. My vote going in now.
Thank you Steve. I dont know much about ROT Navy, but i do know ROT stuff is rare.
I had no idea what i had, until i saw the word Texas. Then my mind started racing.
I have always wanted to find a Texas button, and ROT just makes it that much better.
My mind was literally blown when i saw the button in Alberts book. I wish she was in better shape, but im still super excited.
I was whooped earlier, but now that i know what i dug, i want to go back tomorrow and dig everything.
Sounds like one heck of a friend you have. Bet those ROT infantry buttons you dug were exciting.
Thanks for the kind comment.
What is the name of that book you mentioned.?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I must agree .
From what I Have learned, anything Civil War 'Texas' Is pretty Rare.
&
A Pre-War ROT Navy ...WOW. & A RV in Alberts Book of $150 ..WOW! cause that has been over 50 years ago.

Tough the condition is OK, (I've seen worse) a find like this would make my year. ...'Actually It would make me want to go dig more. 'lol

A Banner Find IMO.
GJ...BP

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must agree .
From what I Have learned, anything Civil War 'Texas' Is pretty Rare.
&
A Pre-War ROT Navy ...WOW. & A RV in Alberts Book of $150 ..WOW! cause that has been over 50 years ago.

Tough the condition is OK, (I've seen worse) a find like this would make my year. ...'Actually It would make me want to go dig more. 'lol

A Banner Find IMO.
GJ...BP

Thanks Davers. Im definitely stoked about this one.
Actually debating ticking the wife off, and going back this morning.
Many buttons i would love to find have a relative value of 15-25 in alberts book.
I would love to dig the sought after Hyde & Goodrich/N.O 23mm. Mississippi Cavalry button, and Albert gives that one a RV of just 60.
Im now starting to do a little reading on ROT Navy, and its pretty interesting.

Last edited:

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner. :icon_thumleft: Them Texas boys wore their old uniforms off too war or there fathers uniforms. The only ROT button I have found came from a campsite over in Louisiana

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner. :icon_thumleft: Them Texas boys wore their old uniforms off too war or there fathers uniforms. The only ROT button I have found came from a campsite over in Louisiana
Thanks Etex. This one was found in MS.
At the moment i can only speculate on how the button got here.
Pre-war commerce.
Someone came here pre-civil war and established or visited a homestead.
Or like you mentioned, someone wore their old uniform off to war.
I hope you are correct.... If so that could mean i found a small confederate camp-site, that was here prior to union occupation.
I may never know for sure, but im definitely gona have to get back in there soon and see what else i can find.

Was doing some research online about the button this morning, and i ran across a link by a person who was selling a 1837 ROT Infantry button that was supposedly dug in Corinth, MS at a supposed civil war camp-site.
If this seller is telling the truth and has his info correct, then it does make your theory even more probable.
"I bought the button back in the early 90's from an old digger in Corinth Mississippi who dug it from a Confederate camp along the Mobile & Ohio railroad north of town. From my research these camps were occupied by the 1st Texas Legion and the 3rd Texas Dismounted Cavalry."
Link: http://ns1.holidays.net/store/Dug-C...37-Scovill-BM-Corinth-Relic_310688191021.html

Heres a link where another tnet member dug a nice Texas Navy button and posted it.
http://ns1.holidays.net/store/Dug-C...37-Scovill-BM-Corinth-Relic_310688191021.html

Last edited:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible recovery buddy, while I have seen a few examples of ROT buttons I never realized they had a dedicated Navy. Given the small size and relative short existence of the ROT this button's rarity must be off the charts. Perhaps a good candidate for professional restoration, but I'd be happy digging it in any condition. VOTE inbound

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible recovery buddy, while I have seen a few examples of ROT buttons I never realized they had a dedicated Navy. Given the small size and relative short existence of the ROT this button's rarity must be off the charts. Perhaps a good candidate for professional restoration, but I'd be happy digging it in any condition. VOTE inbound
Thanks for the vote and kind comment VMI. I know how you love buttons, and kind of figured you might appreciate this one.
I didnt know about the ROT navy either. After reading a little, it gets pretty interesting. Thats the awesome thing about this hobby.
I wish the button was in better shape, but i cannot complain. Im just happy i saved it, and i may take your advice, but i have no idea who to use.
PM sent.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bonepicker, that is just a great find...a couple of notes that others have mentioned about pre-CW buttons: Buttons were a VALUABLE commodity back in the day. They were used and re-used on clothing, especially military buttons. It is not out of the realm of thought that this was a "hand me down" for a Texas soldier, or even CS Navy. We have only one article of clothing from our family's CW experience, and the buttons are a hodgepodge of military, including a Federal Eagle coat button. 10th Tennessee Cavalry CSA.

Never seen one like that, and I live near to the Birthplace of Texas, Washington on the Brazos. Banner for this one.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer little button! Def BANNER worthy. I educated myself about these buttons when Steve found his examples. This navy has got to be very rare

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW THATS A NICE BUTTON FIND.....

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bonepicker, that is just a great find...a couple of notes that others have mentioned about pre-CW buttons: Buttons were a VALUABLE commodity back in the day. They were used and re-used on clothing, especially military buttons. It is not out of the realm of thought that this was a "hand me down" for a Texas soldier, or even CS Navy. We have only one article of clothing from our family's CW experience, and the buttons are a hodgepodge of military, including a Federal Eagle coat button. 10th Tennessee Cavalry CSA.

Never seen one like that, and I live near to the Birthplace of Texas, Washington on the Brazos. Banner for this one.
Thanks for the input, and kind words Peruna. I have heard of mismatching buttons before, but always wondered how often that really happened.
I am also leaning more towards the hand me down theory as well.
Its pretty neat that you have an article from your families CW experience. Would love to see that. You are very fortunate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions