1723 KG 1, Colonial Cufflinks and 13 Star Button on 8 degree Morning

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday and Friday it got up to 50 here in Maine and we had rain mixed in which wiped out the snow on the coast. A January 14 hunt in Maine is an absolute rarity! To find a few colonial goodies was awesome. I went to a small cabin site that I found a 1653 copper Cob at. This trip produced a 1723 KG1 with a perfect date. This is my nicest George 1 and only my 3rd I believe. The links are my favorite. I thought it was just one link as it came out in a chunk of ice. When I got home and thawed it out I was psyched to find that it was a linked set. I also found an interesting 2 piece button that is gilted and has 13 stars. 7 on the front and 6 around the edge....patriotic???? I also found a strange little piece of iron that I have no clue about. Curious what it might be. Hoping to get to the shore next weekend but regardless I'm psyched to be on the board for 2017 so quickly.
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5590.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5595.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG
IMG_5601.JPG

Upvote 31
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well well, look who got out. The copper is in incredible shape as are the links. The button is intriguing and hopefully someone will have an ID for ya. Nice hunt and hopefully you'll have more warm days to dig

The weather is looking decent this week. Close to 40 all week which is a heat wave for January. May go try to dig my first Rev War button this weekend. I'm 0 for my lifetime so I'm not going to hold my breath. And yes I wish I knew more about that button

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, congratulations. The coin is awesome, I haven't pulled a coin from the 1700's yet, that one is a beauty.

Hope you get that 1700s coin soon my friend. It's a cool one to knock off the list....but relatively easy here in Maine. When you get into the 1600s here you have really accomplished something. I only have a few of those

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its really great to see you getting a well deserved break from work and the weather, and getting out there to hunt. You didn't even have to shovel snow out of the site to hunt either. haha It seems the coppers from that one area sure do come out looking great. I'm glad you hit the cob site and pulled a few more keepers. I dug my nicest complete iron hoe blade there :headbang: Those links are fantastic too man. I'll give the button a google and chime in again if I find anything. Looking forward to your next dig man.

Thanks buddy. Going out this weekend for sure. Arguing with Kim about the safety of kayaking in the ocean in January. The way I see it if you go in the Maine ocean for too long it doesn't matter much what month it is. I'd love to know more about that button but I'm guessing it's prob going to be one of those mysteries kind of like the big 13 star button I found when I first started detecting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Abe! Love those cufflinks. And the 1723 KGI is a beauty. That must be a common date since three of mine are 1723s and I seem to see it posted fairly often.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Abe- just that fact that you're out and finding anything is amazing- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds! :occasion14:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation on the "warm" weather and some excellent finds, Abe. Very nice KGI but I like the links the best. Down here we don't have to thaw out our finds to id them but I guess you have to do what you have to do. :laughing7: Very interested in finding out the significance of the 13 stars on that button.

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great finds! I am from Mass and got to to out this past weekend too. What a treat! New England is not conducive to detecting for so many months so we have to take advtange when we can. Glad you got on some beauties!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are two very nice finds.
I guess the links would be my favorite too, as I haven't found an intact set yet, but KG 1 coppers are tough to dig as well, let alone a nice one. Notice Bill said he didn't have a single one in all his years, not common. I do have a nice one of those 1719 i think.

It's a great site you have, not only to get the old stuff, but that they come out in good condition, copper that long buried is rarely that good.

NICE JOB !
Yes it is pretty rare to get a hunt in Jan. I think I only got to do that once. No snow here much, but ground is hard.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It would be so easy for me to go out detecting right now,however digging a hole would another thing;great to see you had the perseverance to complete the job in the conditions you were in

I'd have been happy to get those finds any month of the year!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice stuff. The KG is very nice, and I like the cufflinks, hand engraved and complete.

Best of luck Abe!

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well great material there !the link in that shape real beauty wow! and the Half penny too!Thinking the button is pewter from the look around 1730-60 just an idea.Be careful with cay ac water is very cold.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that KG is in great shape especially for a KG1! The cufflinks and button are awesome as well! Congrats. Move south its 72 today!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are two very nice finds.
I guess the links would be my favorite too, as I haven't found an intact set yet, but KG 1 coppers are tough to dig as well, let alone a nice one. Notice Bill said he didn't have a single one in all his years, not common. I do have a nice one of those 1719 i think.

It's a great site you have, not only to get the old stuff, but that they come out in good condition, copper that long buried is rarely that good.

NICE JOB !
Yes it is pretty rare to get a hunt in Jan. I think I only got to do that once. No snow here much, but ground is hard.

It would be so easy for me to go out detecting right now,however digging a hole would another thing;great to see you had the perseverance to complete the job in the conditions you were in

I'd have been happy to get those finds any month of the year!

Haha! It takes Abe's finds to pull you two out of hibernation! Lol.

I surprised the warmth didn't reach you guys. It's frozen even under the leaves and forest cover?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Reply to Scrappy

It's not that it didn't get warm, it's that it got really cold again and stayed that way only after a short warm trend

back to hibernation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread