🥇 BANNER 1862 S $10 gold

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Got my 15th gold coin. And a key-date gold coin. 1862 S $10. Will probably only merit a "40" grade at best, eh ? Plus I knicked it on the reverse below the "ten" (aargghh).

Got this over the weekend with a buddy on a reconn. trip to a new site we've been researching. A defunct country/mountain resort "in California".

Aside from this one coin, we got no other coins. Which was strange, because we got no lack of other period targets of a 'personal' effect nature. Eg. buttons, harmonica reeds, spoons, suspender clips, period match safe box, etc.... (as opposed to period bullet shells, period building debris, etc...). Will post pix of the other items in the day to come. In the meantime, here's the coin.

20170117_095946.jpg

20170117_095850.jpg

Upvote 148
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx everyone ! Thanx Mackaydon! That's the thrill of a sport, is the competition and friendships aspects they generate. Like, what fun would snow skiing be, if you went all alone with no buddies to pace yourself with ? What good would a hole-in-one in golf be, without your buddies to gloat to about ? So too is md'ing: The show & tell aspect is part of the fun. Fun to see what others are finding, fun to show our own finds . And the history for things like slave tags is something that money just can't buy !

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She's Beautiful!!! vote is in!! Congrats!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your fifteenth? Only in California! :icon_thumleft: I will vote BANNER on the basis of Gold coin, Key-date, Beauty, and total gold coins found metal detecting so far! Many of us would be happy with silver totals like that. :notworthy:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your latest gold coin, she's a beauty for sure. Great way to start the year off, so happy digging for the rest of the year hope your able to add another one to the total.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here's some of the period targets from the same site. Sans general "slag", sans period "hardware" type junk (barring the one valve cock thing), and sans a bit of modern trash we got (some tabs, etc...).

Notice that multiple items have a "personal" feel, rather than a commercial/industrial type feel. Ie.: items that would come from picnicking type sites (spoons, buttons, suspender clips, etc....) are a better bode for coinage than if you're getting lots of lead, hardware brass/copper, etc... which can simply be building and work debris. My hunting partner on this has additional such targets that evidence a "recreational" type "feel" that he might add in his pix.

So we sincerely thought a seated or a barber would soon be next. But oddly, just the one gold coin. We'll be back though! Based on the ratios thus far though, it appears it'll hard work to pull more coins. But based on the age of the place (the time-frame that it went defunct), the coins will probably barbers and earlier, for the zenith of usage here.

Also shown here is a closeup of the back of the match safe. These are 1890s to turn-of-century, and have no collector value to speak of (at least not in this shape :))

20170117_135153.jpg

20170117_135312.jpg

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The 2 round items that appear to be coins, are actually : a) one is a period button, b) the other is a room tag type thing that just says "33" on it.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder I ain't finding any gold coins....you are digging em like they were pulltabs:laughing7: HUGE congrats.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
15 gold coins is amazing. I have been detecting 45yrs. and still looking for my first. I say any gold coin found with a metal detector deserves BANNER. My vote is in. Congrats.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look great 15! Cong your blessed:-) he i find one wow haha.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That is one beautiful coin, congratulations! :notworthy:

Banner vote!

Last edited:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
It was a bitter sweet moment for me when he brought it over to show me during our hunt. I've now witnessed him dig three gold coins, blessed is right!

Congrats again Tom!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to detract from the awesome gold coin....but 15th gold coin??!!!
Have to ask if the bulk of them were found together, or if it was 15 over many years of detecting?

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say even though I'm voting banner, no more for you until I find one haha. Stop taking them all! In all seriousness congrats!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: So do you give tutorials on how to dig them since you have all the experience? Congrats seems a little lame so I will give you this :notworthy::occasion14::notworthy:

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It was a bitter sweet moment for me when he brought it over to show me during our hunt. I've now witnessed him dig three gold coins, blessed is right!

Congrats again Tom!

Trust me Brian, I felt bad. (Well ... sort of ! :tongue3: ) Because you most definitely put in sweat and blood on that effort with me ! You've "done your homework" with me on our adventures. And you even got an equal amount of conductors. So you were technically owed on this outing . Ouch :( I love your zeal, that you know your stuff, aren't a wuss, and respect period targets, history, etc... So the next one definitely has your name on it !

Not to detract from the awesome gold coin....but 15th gold coin??!!!
Have to ask if the bulk of them were found together, or if it was 15 over many years of detecting?

Imaudigger: They were each individual fumble fingers losses. Not a cache, or purse, or pocket spill, etc.... And not jewelry mounted bezzles (because if I count those, it's 16). They were from places like beach storm erosion, stage stops, emigrant stopping spots, oldtown urban demolitions, and 1 from a turfed park.

The first of the group was from late Dec. 1994. So it seems I'm averaging 1 per every 1-1/2 years since then. Prior to that first one in 1994, I'd gone since 1976-ish (my start). So that means ~18 yrs. to find the first one. Starting in the early '90s I focused all my attention on stage stops, old town urban demolitions, ghost-townsy stuff, etc.... As opposed to earlier times when I was primarily turf hunting.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one would think that you could spare one for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread