🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent some time chipping coins out of the ice with nepa-will, mostly clad but did manage a 39 merc ( 3 fty) and 4 wheats (16 fty). Also got the cool 1949 rabies vaccination tag which I gave to Bill since he collects them. All in all a fun day! Thanks for the invite bill! 20170118_100458-1.jpg 20170118_153840-1.jpg 20170118_145902-1.jpg 2017-01-18 15.50.08.jpg 20170118_154538-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago -1995 - I had just gotten a new WHites XLT - it was in Jan. and I was dying to get out
went to a popular beach they had drained all the way down - it had 6 inches of ice on the soil
and I knew that when it thawed - 100s of guys would be going in there - I bought a small handled sledge
and a large chisel and went in and hunted thru the ice for like 2 weeks straight - the beach is not extremely old
so most of the finds were an inch or 2 in the frozen sand - I got like a dozen gold rings and a dozen silver ones
plus some other silver jewelry and a ton of coins - I worked for it but was funny that no one else thought of it
bout 6 weeks later - had an early thaw -ground was still hard but ice was gone - a friend tells me lets go there - I told him "Ive already been"
I go with him anyways - we show up and theres like 20 guys there - we ask how everyone is doin - not a one had any jewelry and most had maybe
a coin or 2 I'd missed - pennies and nickels - they were PO'ed
I'll do a farm field or 2 when its frozen - I use a small pick axe - most times its frozen 4-5 ins. down and you can smash thru and pop up a solid
plug and soil is soft under - still can be hard going - but when the bug bites - you gotta get out there
continued good luck

Hammer and wood chisel?? I'm curious because I've been at a standstill because of the frozen ground............
That's an amazing feat (to me) to pull keepers in this climate............the button is cool, too.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great hunt when it gets that cold.
thanks, just had the urge!

Nice work on the ice and finding some nice goodies!
thanks professor, it was worth it to be able to bump the silver count a bit in January

That cleaned up well! :icon_thumright:
thank you, I wouldn't do it to valuable coins

years ago -1995 - I had just gotten a new WHites XLT - it was in Jan. and I was dying to get out
went to a popular beach they had drained all the way down - it had 6 inches of ice on the soil
and I knew that when it thawed - 100s of guys would be going in there - I bought a small handled sledge
and a large chisel and went in and hunted thru the ice for like 2 weeks straight - the beach is not extremely old
so most of the finds were an inch or 2 in the frozen sand - I got like a dozen gold rings and a dozen silver ones
plus some other silver jewelry and a ton of coins - I worked for it but was funny that no one else thought of it
bout 6 weeks later - had an early thaw -ground was still hard but ice was gone - a friend tells me lets go there - I told him "Ive already been"
I go with him anyways - we show up and theres like 20 guys there - we ask how everyone is doin - not a one had any jewelry and most had maybe
a coin or 2 I'd missed - pennies and nickels - they were PO'ed
I'll do a farm field or 2 when its frozen - I use a small pick axe - most times its frozen 4-5 ins. down and you can smash thru and pop up a solid
plug and soil is soft under - still can be hard going - but when the bug bites - you gotta get out there
continued good luck
that's what it means to be a detectorist, always thinking, always on the offensive. Get em while the getting is good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread