Colonial Relics, Two Piece military button, Interesting whatzits, and maybe gold!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running a tad behind since the start of the new year with posting my finds. So i will post the few first hunts of the year and finish taking pics of the finds from the last two weeks later. Did some more sifting with VMI at our colonial site because we thought we had run out of targets. Couldn't have been more WRONG (Trump voice). We went back to an area in which we have scoured for the last few months and started to get signals again while we ran our machines wide open. Every once in awhile we would hear a tiny chirp in between the iron grunts and you'd only hear it going in one direction. So here are some of those finds.

First up the buttons! few flat buttons (one with really nice gilt on the back), my first intact ball button and its a tiny one at that, and a really nice Marine button from around the time of the Spanish American War. At first i thought it was for sure CW period because it had the same look as my Confed Officer button from the same site, but the back mark and Mr. Leigh say different. Got me going tho thats for sure.

DSCF0410.JPG DSCF0413.JPG DSCF0414.JPG DSCF0416.JPG DSCF0417.JPG DSCF0418.JPG DSCF0419.JPG

Was able to dig a musket ball and surprisingly my first 3 ringer!

DSCF0420.JPG DSCF0421.JPG DSCF0422.JPG

We keep digging up these old brass casings...not sure how old they are. I'm going to post them on what is it and see if someone (prolly cannonball guy) can id them but they look like .54 cal maybe.

DSCF0423.JPG DSCF0424.JPG

random assortment of finds here. Furniture tac, shark tooth, pipe stem, shell edge/feather edge, weird copper thingy (maybe some kind of medical tool or something), A piece of lead with 3 holes in it not sure if it was crafted into a button or what, and a Brass thing my guess is either a shucker or a top of a cane.

DSCF0426.JPG DSCF0428.JPG DSCF0429.JPG DSCF0430.JPG DSCF0431.JPG

This might be the oldest glass bottle i have found so far. It was about a foot and a half deep wedged between some bricks. It came out in three four pieces but it looks to be really old. VMI thinks it might be colonial and i tend to agree.

DSCF0432.JPG DSCF0433.JPG DSCF0434.JPG DSCF0435.JPG

last thing i'll post on this one is this bracelet i found on the coast. It has written in cursive "Kathy". Im thinking it is either just brass or 10k maybe. Thanks for looking as always. Good luck out there! PS make sure you check out VMI's post he has a few killer finds as always...finds that were about 10 feet away from me of course..

DSCF0438.JPG

Upvote 19

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Those caseing look like rim fire Spencers. Excellent find.

HH RN

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice set of finds. That's a great black glass bottle from the latter part of the colonial period. Very good!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bracelet is Gold Filled IMO... but ?

Nice digs.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have been busy finding a nice assortment of quality finds. The Marines button is a really good find-it may not be super-early but it is still from a war that happened over 100 years ago and is in great shape. I think the piece with the brass knob might be an ice pick, at least that's what it looks like to me-very interesting. And great job with the retrieval and reconstruction of that black glass bottle.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bracelet is brass. Was probably filled or plated. Looks like you are having a great time finding treasure. That is what counts

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That glass certainly looks like it's early to me bud. Nothing like Colonial find....my favorite for sure

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Those caseing look like rim fire Spencers. Excellent find.

HH RN

I'm thinking that as well. We sure find a lot of them. plus the site has a known CW occupation.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set of finds. That's a great black glass bottle from the latter part of the colonial period. Very good!

VMI said the same. You can tell the age just by the amount of bubbles in the glass and its nonuniform shape. wish i could have found the top of it.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have been busy finding a nice assortment of quality finds. The Marines button is a really good find-it may not be super-early but it is still from a war that happened over 100 years ago and is in great shape. I think the piece with the brass knob might be an ice pick, at least that's what it looks like to me-very interesting. And great job with the retrieval and reconstruction of that black glass bottle.

Thanks! When i dug it i was sure it was CW just from the way the patina looked so similar to CW buttons i have found. But who knows could have been made 10 years after the CW so close enough. I might glue the pieces on to the glass, haven't gotten around to it yet but the wife might have my head if i don't get it off of the dinning room table.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post man. Glass fragments, between bricks at a foot and a half makes me drool. Hope you guys dug that out until the dirt was clean. That pick thing is really interesting and I like that Navy button. Looking forward to the next post :icon_thumright:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice finds! That Marine button is in great shape!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool relics and jewelry finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post man. Glass fragments, between bricks at a foot and a half makes me drool. Hope you guys dug that out until the dirt was clean. That pick thing is really interesting and I like that Navy button. Looking forward to the next post :icon_thumright:

Thanks man! We haven't dug that out yet. I actually found the privy the next day about 5 yards away. VMI and I have a lot of work to do.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks man! We haven't dug that out yet. I actually found the privy the next day about 5 yards away. VMI and I have a lot of work to do.

A privy.... I can't wait to see you two post what comes out of there!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and i love the marines button. The bottle is later colonial as Scrappy said. I have found a few intact ones scuba diving southern rivers over the last 10 years.
Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread