Found a spoon today. Need help with maker's mark.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

Any thoughts on the maker? I have tried googling Lapala but didn't have any luck. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what this might say. I assumed it's the maker, but I guess it could be something else. Thanks.

There is an area on the back that sorta kinda looks like a stamp, but it's probably just damage from where it was in the ground.

Upvote 6

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing lapala is not the maker. More likely owner, part of a set.. cool find!
I'm thinking owner also. Look up the name and see what you find. The other mark could be a worn makers mark,it does look rectangular

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son says La pala is one way to say spoon in Spanish. Two words though

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking that it could also be somebody's name.

As for the material, I'm not sure. I am leaning towards brass. To be honest, I was hoping it might be gold plated silver, but I doubt that is the case since there aren't really any markings.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that the word begins with a Z?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice find Bill. Congrats.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice spoon. Lapala is obviously the owners name. It's not Russian, but Italian. The makers mark may be of some help, but the photo is too bright to really see it. Could you post another photo with less light reflection?

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice spoon. Lapala is obviously the owners name. It's not Russian, but Italian. The makers mark may be of some help, but the photo is too bright to really see it. Could you post another photo with less light reflection?

I looked at it with the magnifier on my phone and I don't see any detail that leads me to believe it's a stamped mark. (Unless it's really worn) I think it's probably just some random damage that was done while it was on/in the ground.

I found it at a house site that was built in 60's. House was torn down in the fall because the school next to it bought the property and is expanding their footprint. The spoon was only partially buried. Being the site isn't old and it wasn't deep leads me to believe it's not very old. I hope I'm wrong though. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread