Tons of clad, and live ammo (mothers beach, marina del rey, CA)

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's fitting that I, being a bodyguard and armorer by trade, found live ammo on the most kid friendly beach in los Angeles. Specifically a federal .357 jacketed soft point.

I also found a butt load of clad. I first went to try a new beach but couldn't find a single penny or even iron so went back to my local beach and did really well on quarters. Even got a 2000 half dollar.

Even worse is that this beach consistently produced 1965 dimes and quarters. I feel like my bounty hunter tracker iv just can't reach deep enough or go to the parts of the beach that actually have silver/jewellery.

Than being said I still had a ton of fun... I just can't wait for my sand scoop and I can't wait to upgrade to a Sand Shark...

BeachHunt1_29_17.jpg 20170129_125836~2.jpg 20170129_102031.jpg

The beach's I found literally everything at was the lower beach outlined in red inside of the marina.

The upper red outline is the first beach I visited

Last edited:
Upvote 7

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are killing it! Nice digs!
How is the L.A. weather? It snowed on me today while I was metal detecting.:laughing7:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha people are complaining about it being cold because of the rain. Its warmed up the last couple of days though. I'm going to go out for another hunt tomorrow or Wednesday and hit one of my local parks and then Santa monica beach

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So no matter how many times I got this little beach I keep finding 1965 nickles and quarters that look like they have been there since then. Today I got a 1960 penny on a short 1 hour hunt before work. Got a bunch of clad and a bunch of you cars today. I'm just waiting for Sunday so I can hit the low tide before work and see if I can't dig out any of silver that may have been left during the construction of this man made beach (in 1957 I think). Better yet will e a new detector...

sweetinsanty

Jan 26, 2017
Cashtown
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess it's fitting that I, being a bodyguard and armorer by trade, found live ammo on the most kid friendly beach in los Angeles. Specifically a federal .357 jacketed soft point.

I also found a butt load of clad. I first went to try a new beach but couldn't find a single penny or even iron so went back to my local beach and did really well on quarters. Even got a 2000 half dollar.

Even worse is that this beach consistently produced 1965 dimes and quarters. I feel like my bounty hunter tracker iv just can't reach deep enough or go to the parts of the beach that actually have silver/jewellery.

Than being said I still had a ton of fun... I just can't wait for my sand scoop and I can't wait to upgrade to a Sand Shark...

View attachment 1408396 View attachment 1408397 View attachment 1408398

The beach's I found literally everything at was the lower beach outlined in red inside of the marina.

The upper red outline is the first beach I visited
don't doubt the bounty hunter iv. ive dug holes that I was in to my shoulder here in Gettysburg Pa. I'm tickled pink with my little machine. my US belt buckle was in a creek under piles of shell rock from floods. we used shovels to pry it up. my buddies laughed and said it was steel shot from duck hunters....once I got to it they weren't laughing. $100.00 hobby lobby...40% coupon...$60.00 detector that's produced me a mortar shell (unfired), US belt buckle, confederate file knife, bullets, 1935 cap gun, grape shot, 18?7 lg cent .... and much more. I know they aren't top of the line... but on all metal setting...its a hunting little machine. lol. nice finds!

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine from hobby lobby also using the same deal!

I mostly hunt on all metal depending on soil mineralization and tides. The tides actually make me need more discrimination in soil for some reason to ground balance properly.

When the tides are low I can run my machine on all metal, with the sensitivity knob cranked all the way up. But I'm still only finding stuff a few inches down. I'm upgrading to a tesoro sand shark (just waiting to sell a rifle Then the wife is ok with it lol) so I can hit the wet sand and surf while my wife detects the dry. Or I can bring a buddy out. My bounty hunter tracker iv lives in my trunk.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hitting "my" beach literally every day before work. What is truly shocking is the amount of clad it continues to produce. It's almost like the US mint is under the sand and expelling coins.

How many places can you go where the beach is trashy as heck but you can dig clad 8/10 digs?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're still doing a respectable job with the BH IV, and some clad to put in the piggy bank. Regardless of the model detector a sand scoop will make life so much better for you in the sand! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that. Lol. I'm using metal detecting as my daily exercise so I kind of want a heavier machine haha. I can swing the BHTiv for 6-8 hours without getting my arm sore.

What's really suprizing is that I've been getting it to work And ground balance on wet sand. I managed to pull a paperclip out of an 8" hole last night. So my original thoughts about not getting deep enough may not be 100%. I may not be able to reach the silver coins or the deep gold jewelry, but I can reach anything under the beach erosion and the waterflows.

I'm really getting to know my machine. Being able to work it in shallow saltwater without an insane amount of interference is also a big surprise. But in the water I'm only getting few couple inches of depth.

Air testing actually provided dismal resilts. Buying stuff in the sand to detect actually gave me the best results. I can detect gold rings to about 6", 8" with a minimal feedback from the machine.

Small gold rings and gold earrings, I only get about 4" maybe 5" depending on the sand.

Can't wait to buy a sand shark so I can start getting wet and covering some new ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread