A few January hunts- Colonial buckles, coppers, silver, and gold!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been lucky enough to have an awesome start to the new year! Earlier this January I was in the Charleston SC area, and got to hunt a spot along the water with some early colonial activity! I got into a small trash pit that was mostly oyster but found a nice smashed silver thimble! IMG_2665.JPG FullSizeRender (4) copy 4.jpg

After this I wasn't really finding much other than a few buttons, but my father (who was hunting a different area of the site where a bulldozer had recently come through) texted me a picture of a cufflink he just dug. It was a stunning gold cufflink, with one of the links broken off! It is likely late 18th century based on the oval design and its construction as prior to the revolutionary war it seems most links were hexagonal. It is made of high karat gold and from what I've researched, gold coins were often melted to make gold cufflinks in this period! A truly rare and astounding find!

FullSizeRender (2) copy 3.jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy 3.jpg

We decided to hunt this area hard and I got a crisp high tone on my detector, which was a 17th century spectacle buckle with a great emerald patina! Probably dates to about 1680 or so. Also pictured are the buttons, two 18th century tombacs and a 19th century flat button.

FullSizeRender (7).jpg FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Spent some time in Washington DC as well and eyeballed this Oriental Fishtail projectile point, dates to about 3000 B.P! I also hunted a colonial field site in PA that I have pulled lots of artifacts from over the years, but it has pretty much dried up and all I found was a tombac, tiny silvered shoe buckle fragment, and a quarter of a cut musket ball.

FullSizeRender (6) copy 4.jpg IMG_3249 (2).JPG

Last weekend my friend Mark and I took a trip to Virginia to dig with forum member Isaac. Mark isn't a member of the forum so I will show some of his finds as well! We started out the day looking for civil war relics, which we hit some dead ends with but finally landed a spot and Mark dug his first civil war bullet, a .58 Williams Regulation minnie ball! FullSizeRender (4) copy.jpg

We slowed down a bit on a high rise in the field and I pulled out two large musket balls, a pistol ball, a Williams Cleaner and the zinc base of a Williams cleaner. I also found a flat button which the gold gilt came off in the dirt when I removed it from the soil. Sort of a bummer but made for a cool picture. :icon_thumright:
FullSizeRender (2) copy 2.jpg FullSizeRender (5) copy.jpg FullSizeRender (6) copy.jpg

We moved on to a colonial site that nothing remains of after lunch, and right off the bat I got a beautiful mid 18th century open work knee buckle! Finally found one intact, I typically find fragments that are the victims of the plow, so very stoked this intricate relic is still intact. Also got a colonial brass ruler from this area which I really like!
FullSizeRender (6) copy 5.jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy.jpg FullSizeRender (4) copy 5.jpg IMG_3482.JPG

Found some nice iron artifacts then, a complete heavy duty stirrup and a broken designed colonial fire back were my two favorite pieces. Pictured is an example of a complete fire back, these were used in colonial fireplaces as brick could crack under high heat and would need to be replaced if damaged.
FullSizeRender (6) copy 3.jpg FullSizeRender (4) copy 3.jpg IMG_3504.JPG

We were finding all sorts of relics by then, and I got a bucket lister, a one piece 1820s artillery button with the backmark of L. Hayden and Scovill with 9 stars. For some reason the letter N in hayden is backwards, seen this on a few other buttons but can't find anything out about this one. The company was active under this name from 1811-1827.
FullSizeRender (2) copy.jpg IMG_3483.JPG IMG_3484 copy.JPG

Mark got a toasted Matron head large cent, and soon thereafter shouted that he had a seated. Sure enough he found a nice 1837 no stars seated dime! After that I got a dandy button with silver around the edges and a toasty matron LC as well.By then it was getting dark so we wrapped it up for the day.
FullSizeRender (5) copy 2.jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy 5.jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy 2.jpg

On Sunday we returned to the site and hit a new area. Isaac started off with two astounding finds in a row but i'll let him share all of his finds! I got some shoe buckle frags from this area, all very ornate. I also got a worn out 1780's CT copper with a nice green patina. Cool to find a northern state copper down in Virginia!
IMG_3480.JPG FullSizeRender (3) copy 6.jpg IMG_3481.JPG

Mark was trying out another area and came over to Isaac and I with a gorgeous colonial watch winder. Not really sure what it says, but has three children in colonial garb around a water pump. Any info would be helpful!
FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg

That area turned out to be very productive, Mark got an 1803 draped bust and I got a colonial silver piece! Not sure what it is, thought maybe an S hook from a watch chain or as someone suggested off a sugar bowl. Also got something that looks like a small anchor, found near a river so I suppose it's possible, not sure what it could be for being so small.
FullSizeRender (6) copy 2.jpg FullSizeRender (7) copy.jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy 4.jpg

Rounded out the day with an intricate floral 18th century bit boss! Thankful for such wonderful hunts in the dead of winter!
IMG_3478.JPG FullSizeRender (4) copy 2.jpg FullSizeRender (3) copy 7.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holy moly. cufflink, spectacle buckle, seated, 3-ringers...i can't decide what i like the most but that's an epic haul. grats.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man!!!! I dont know what to say !!! Awsome digs man. What a great spot.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy: quality digs there

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure there wasn't an earthquake a long time ago and you have been digging the remains of a Museum that got buried.... holy crap I'm moving to where you are LOL If I found all that I would be pitching a tent Sweet that's great lots of great historic finds keep it up!!!!When I was younger we had time share in Hilton Head Island freakin awesome beach ect and Hudsons seafood restaurant I wish someday I could afford to go back!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those great finds Tommy

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Love the cuff link. The 1837 dime is a great find as it's a first year of issue without stars on obverse. BTW, the CT is a 1785. Bit unusual to find in SC. I think I'm going to start following you around. :)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow man! That is a load of killer items.

Congratulations sir.

Twin Picks

Jun 29, 2015
Low Country
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Post and play by play on the finds! you are really getting some quality stuff. the first year seated dime is too cool.
Congrats!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um, that's a righteous haul my friend. a hearty congrats to you!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on some killer hunts! Can you tell us what the writing says? Looks like: DESSCONDI / DES?RMEN. Italian, Latin?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the killer relic hunt! :notworthy:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac