Weekend Finds (3 Silver Sunday plus a steel wheat cent)

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to post my weekend finds Sunday evening, but after I typed up the post I realized it was long and boring. Lol I’ll try to make this a shorter version.

Really the only reason for the post is I’m pretty sure I found my first steel wheat cent. It was in a hole with 2 other wheaties. I wouldn’t have known what it was if I hadn’t watched a YouTube video recently where somebody found a similar spill. Even though I can’t tell for sure what it is, I think it’s a pretty cool find.

About 5 feet from the wheat spill I dug a very shallow quarter that was dark so I thought it was clad until I noticed it was very worn. I rubbed it a bit and some of the tarnish came off. I assume it spend most of its lost life on or near the surface since it’s so tarnished. (No in situ pics since I thought it was clad.) It’s a 1940 something.

Little corner of a park where I found the silver Washington, the wheat cent spill and the Rosie. Other Rosie was found at a different spot earlier in the day. Saturday evening I was at the same spot and a gentleman came out from under the bridge and had a seat on the manhole cover to enjoy his brown bagged beverage. I left soon after with plans on coming back the next day.

Various finds from the weekend. Tiny Tootsie and a currently unidentified token.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 9

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir!

Three silver coins is really nice.

Congrats Bill.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree the steel pennies are hard to ID if found solo in the hole, but they are easier when found in a mini spill. I dug 2 in 2016 in separate spills. Congrats on your finds, I'd be happy to dig those in a weekend.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs! The silver quarter is probably gray due to road salt coming down off that bridge (from fighting ice in winter). I've found quite a few gray ones on curb strips and by paths. Love the feeling when you rub off the date and realize it's not a cladder...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, that's a good couple days of hunting.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unless you are talking about the first large disk the second is a token from an amusement park. Google Standard Metal Typer and you will see them. Used between 1938 and the early 1970's. I am sure glad you showed a rusty wheat and not a pristine wheat I have seen a few times in which the poster said they found it in the ground!! Yours is absolutely believable!

Nice finds and I love the car. keep em coming

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a wheat spill the other day with 3 steel and 4 copper wheats. Once I found them I realized I had found one of those before in another spill, but didn't figure it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread