found small round Georgia 1921 Car dashboard registration plate at 1900's home site

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have permission to hunt a one acre property with a house and a garage. The house was built in 1900. My adult son and I have searched this property for about 4 hours over two days over our lunch hours. He is using an Garrett Ace 250 with stock coil and I am using the AT Pro with 5 x 8" coil. This is basically his first hunt. I have many years hunting experience looking for gold (nuggets not jewelry) with metal detectors and just under a year using the AT Pro looking for coins and relics. I hunt in the Pro zero mode.

here is what we found so far. I have attached an image to the 3 most interesting finds.

1 round metal 1921 Georgia car dash board registration plate.
1 metal cap with the words Dermatone and Sample and $500 fine for selling samples.
1 small perfume or medicine bottle.

not in picture:
1 round porcelain mason jar lid liner
fragments of iron pipe
1 Lincoln penny
1 modern dime
old rusty bottle cap
old metal cap made of aluminum or some other light metal
other bits of rusted iron fragments

What is interesting is what we have not found:

not a single pull tab
not a single piece of foil
none of the junk you would usually find in a park of this time period.
the owner has lived there for 30 some years and said it has not been searched while he was the owner.

This tells me that this site has great potential. My son is using the stock ace coil concentric and I am using the AT Pro 5x8" DD coil. The plan is after we remove as much as possible, I will switch to the 8 x 11" DD stock coil for the AT Pro to look for deeper targets.

Any suggestions on how to effective search this site will be appreciated. Especially AT Pro settings for this type of home site.

Attachments

• jtfinds2days.JPG
    jtfinds2days.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 6

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great to have all that area to hunt. and no pop tops that's heaven I love hunting spots where what ever you find is most likely old I like you finds Thanks for the great post!!!!!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have an at pro so I can't help with that,but this site sure has potential.
Keep us updated.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right on the money...stay pro zero mode and GRID that place to death ! I mean, back and forth east to west then north and south...cherry pick with your small coil and then repeat with the 11 incher..you've got an excellent site there maxxkatt, take full advantage of it! Looking forward to the silver pics...ddf

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt both of you! :icon_thumright: Have you been following the Ace 250 with the AT PRO to see if it missed anything?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your getting an old 1 acre permission. The AT PRO in Pro Zero is a very productive and proficient machine.
Congrats on your finds and for spending quality time with your son.

OP
OP
M

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt both of you! :icon_thumright: Have you been following the Ace 250 with the AT PRO to see if it missed anything?

My son with the Ace 250 pretty much digs everything and I am using the AT Pro 5x8" coil and digging all above 44. Plan to go back over entire yard with the AT Pro using the 8 x 11" coil. My son is new to metal detecting coins and relics. But he hunted with me when he was 16 looking for gold nuggets in North Georgia streams around Auraria, ga which is an old 1800's mining ghost town. He is doing ok with the Ace 250. He is very patient and slow in his hunting. We know we have a site with great potential and will be spending a lot of time searching. These site permissions don't drop in my lap often. Mostly been doing volley ball courts and public parks.

OP
OP
M

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, we both cover each other. My son with his Ace digs everything and thus finds some good stuff. Me I don't dig everything, but maybe I should on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread