18k Gold Tremont pocket watch 1865

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I purchased an estate lot of a gentleman that passed away. It ended up being almost all books and old computer programs..but in a box of dishes, my wife found a 14k herringbone bracelet, small 14k gold band, and this pocket watch. It is inscribed on the back "Col John A. Martin with friendly regards W.F. Downs April 1869"
A little research shows that the Tremont watch co. Was in Boston 1864-1866 and imported small parts from Switzerland and assembled watches here in the USA. In 1866 became the Melrose watch co and then out of business. John Martin was a politician (Governor of Kansas) served In the civil war, and eventually was given the distinction of Brigadier General. W.F.Downs was responsible for bringing in a section of railroad, also served as Major in the civil war and has the town of Downs KS named after him.
The watch is a key wind, and still works! I took it to a high end watch appraiser today and will get results in a week or two....definitely the coolest thing I have found to date!
20170208_105057.jpg 20170208_105036.jpg 20170208_104943.jpg 20170208_105141.jpg 20170208_105253.jpg

Upvote 27
OP
OP
H

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies! I realize that most items on here are "dug" but it is called "Today's Finds" and it was "found" in a box of dishes that came from an estate, that's why I thought it appropriate to share here. The item itself wasn't specifically bought or sold. I will most certainly be doing as much homework and documentation as I can, in addition to the appraisal and see where we go from there. The ultimate value will determine whether it is kept or sold. It is a very cool historical piece and timepiece for sure!

OP
OP
H

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that what you have is an awesome find and one that has some history as well as historical value! It is hard to say how Collectors of such items (Civil War connection, Railroad connection and a somewhat rare Pocket Watch made by a short lived Pocket Watch company) will view the significance of the Pocket Watch. It is clear that the more information that you can obtain on the two persons, the Pocket Watch itself and any information such as a ceremony where it was given to Colonel Martin, will significantly effect the price point that the Pocket Watch will fetch at auction or via offers from collectors. The Pocket Watch appears to have one of Tremont's higher-end (as in quality) three-quarters plate Movements which is Gold gilded and the fact that it's Case is 18kt Gold and the Pocket Watch has historical significance, could propel the price into the 5 figure bracket. Do your homework on the Pocket Watch , the Recipient and the Gifter, then have this information verified, certified and notated by a well known Auction Company or Watch/Pocket Watch Appraiser as the Provenance. The Provenance will help boost the price that the Pocket Watch will fetch whether at Auction of via offers. I have included a link below with some information on the Pocket Watch movement only. The 18kt Gold Case was likely an order choice of the Gifter and the movement (which was likely new and unused) installed by a Clock/Watch/Pocket Watch Retailer/Jeweler at a later time before shipping to the Gifter.
Good luck!

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/tremont-watch-co/4025

Frank

Frank, Thanks for all of that and the link, you obviously did a little research of your own!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, Thanks for all of that and the link, you obviously did a little research of your own!!

You are more than welcome! I bought...sold and traded Wrist Watches and Pocket Watches for almost 5 years when I had my' Small Business and still tinker in them a little. If I could find my' NAWCC Book on Watches, Pocket Watches and Clocks, I could probably provide a little more info on the Movement and the company! However, it has been missing for 3 years now.

Frank

OP
OP
H

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research this evening on the watch, and found out quite a bit of information about both Gentlemen. I just haven't found the "link" between them yet. If you google John Alexander Martin or Major William F. Downs, there is a lot of info in the Kansas State archives. Martin actually fought with General Sherman at one point, and Downs was a special agent for the treasury dept. and then made the first chief clerk of the bureau of revenue around 1861. Then in 1865 he was almost solely responsible for bringing the central branch of the union pacific railroad from atchison to Downs(later named for him) and waterville. In 1868 became superintendent of the railroad.
I was able to find the following on John Martin..... interesting stuff!!

Martin’s political life largely revolved around Kansas’ affairs and the publishing of his newspaper. Eager to be involved in local politics, he served as the mayor of Atchison in 1865, and again in 1878 to 1880. His deep - rooted Republican values congealed at an early age and worked his way up to the chairmanship of the Atchison County Republican Central Committee. He held that position from 1859 to 1884. He regularly attended Republican National Conventions throughout the 1860s and 1870s.

In October 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, he was mustered into the Union Army and commissioned a lieutenant colonel in the 8th Kansas Infantry. He achieved the rank of colonel (breveted brigadier general) before he was mustered out of service in October of 1864. In 1862, he was appointed provost marshal of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and held that position until his regiment was ordered to Corinth, Mississippi, where the 8th Kansas became part of General William (“Bull”) Nelson’s army; that unit remained in the Army of the Cumberland until the end of the war. In November 1863, Colonel Martin found himself present at the siege of Chattanooga and was involved in the storming of Missionary Ridge. In 1864, he marched with General Sherman’s Army to Atlanta, and after the fall of Atlanta, Colonel Martin’s regiment joined in the pursuit of the fleeing Confederate General John Hood who headed northward into the backwoods of Tennessee. It was at this time and place where Colonel Martin was cited and decorated for “gallant and meritorious service.”

After the war John Martin was appointed commander in chief of the Kansas state encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic. He married Ida Challis on 1 June 1871. They had eight children; one died in infancy. He also became an incorporator and president of the Kansas State Historical Society and incorporator of The Kansas Magazine. Martin was also a Kansas representative on the United States Centennial Commission. Above all, John’s heart was always sympathetic to the well being of the war veteran. The psychological and physical rehabilitation of soldiers from the Union Army, and their families, became his perpetual top priority.

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a gorgeous watch and an amazing find even if it wasn't technically dug, keep us posted on what you find out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread