Inconceivable! 1820 Capped Bust Dime in amazing condition!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I ticked the Trime off my bucket list. Yesterday, I returned to an 1838 home site that I explored last year where I recovered my first seated quarter and dime, and about 15 other silver coins. About two hours into the hunt, I got a solid 80 on the AT Pro, and try as I might, it stayed locked in at 80 no matter the direction. Because it was only showing 2 inches deep, I would have bet it was going to be a bottle cap - but, man was I surprised! Amazing detail on this beauty. Tick another one off the bucket list!

Cap dig.jpg Cap in hand.PNG
Cap front 2.jpg Cap back.jpg

Inconceivable!.jpg

A three day weekend with mild temps ahead here in Virginia, so I will be out pounding more sites. Thanks for viewing the post, and good luck to all!

Upvote 55
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice cap bust! Almost as mint as the one I just recently found. Makes ya feel good don't it.:occasion14:
View attachment 1416616

Thanks, MMJ. It must be open season on cap bust dimes. Congrats on a great find! It you missed it, look back in the string to find a link that Barker posted on the history of these dimes. Interesting reading. Looks like you have the post 1828 version.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, MMJ. It must be open season on cap bust dimes. Congrats on a great find! It you missed it, look back in the string to find a link that Barker posted on the history of these dimes. Interesting reading. Looks like you have the post 1828 version.
Buddy if mine was the rare curl base 2 variety I'd be ahead one semester of college for one of my kids.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great great coin! Did you keep swinging after that? And if you did do you remember any of it?? Haha i would be so dazed in joy! Congrats

Just by coincidence, I had just pulled out a 1929 Merc prior to this coin. I was on cloud 9 after the capped bust, and was expecting everything after that to be more silver. The streak ended with two wheat cents. Believe me, I didn't complain!

1929 Merc front.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tommy G; Yup, DO NOT CLEAN IT.!!! I also checked my Valueation and i was spot on. It is $450 - $500 ok. Great find. PEACE:RONB

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
they must be hardy.... i have found three and they are all in the same condition....nice value also. great find

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We see capped busts less than many banner coins. Big congrats again!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they must be hardy.... i have found three and they are all in the same condition....nice value also. great find

Thanks, mooncusser. Three capped bust dimes!? That's amazing, man.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We see capped busts less than many banner coins. Big congrats again!

Thanks again, Scrappy. A nice trime and this capped bust in the last 7 days. I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing right so I can be sure to keep on doing it!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions