Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The warm weather has finally afforded me the opportunity to get out and hunt........the first time in a couple of weeks. And, I really need the time with the Vaquero before I hit my permission list in earnest. The problem is that most public sites have been hunted to death. But, armed with a machine that will get deeper than my Compadre, I set out with enthusiasm and optimism this weekend...................................
Um..........things did not go well at all. I scratched at Mother Earth for hours and was rewarded with some of the deepest pull tabs, can slaw, nails and junk that I have ever dug!! My clad finds were pitiful........less than $4 in 14 hours of searching. I knew that learning the Vaquero was going to take some time, but........REALLY?? I felt like Wee Willie Keeler's saying "Hit 'em where they ain't"..........because what I was looking for wasn't where I was at!! The good news is that half of my finds were 6, 7 and 8 inches.......so, there's progress.
Then, today, I was blessed with a little ray of sunshine!!

0220 Keepers.jpg 0220 Gold.jpg

There were 6 wheats for the weekend, the oldest is a 1929. And, there were a few interesting relics. The key does not have any railway markings and is hollow from the front to the mid point of the shaft. But the little broken ring in front is a 14k gold band. That made up for all my frustration and gives me the incentive for afternoon hunts the rest of the week................

Thanks for lookin' in and I hope that the good stuff is where your at!!

Upvote 20
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old coins and gold ring! :occasion14: Keep at it, once you learn the language of the machine your confidence will grow and so will your keepers! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad you had an amzing hunt and that is!!!! I gotta find some goodies myself Im on a dry spell !!! Those are sweet finds keep it up My turn next LOL Thanks for the post my friend Tommy

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold saves the day not that your other finds were that bad, Awesome!!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Big Congrats On The Gold Ring! Popping out a gold ring from the ground is a blast!

tabman

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Your ray of sunshine is the glint of the gold!
Mine is the green of the tarnish; I like the old key you found ; looks like a railroad lock key...any letters stamped in it?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those deeper signals after the top layer is cleared is where the best finds lie. Keep at it - things lol promising for you. Keep at it

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratualtions on the old coins and gold ring! :occasion14: Keep at it, once you learn the language of the machine your confidence will grow and so will your keepers! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks, Doc.......only my 2nd gold ring........the 1st I can keep. I think the problem with finds is location, location, location.......I'm hearing signals, just not the right ones!!

Im glad you had an amzing hunt and that is!!!! I gotta find some goodies myself Im on a dry spell !!! Those are sweet finds keep it up My turn next LOL Thanks for the post my friend Tommy

You'll be on a roll once the your weather gets s bit better!! Thanks!!

Gold saves the day not that your other finds were that bad, Awesome!!

Ah, you're being kind, deershed and it is appreciated...........but, I'm likin' the gold bauble!!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Big Congrats On The Gold Ring! Popping out a gold ring from the ground is a blast!

tabman

Thanks, tabman. I'm looking forward to finding some good spots and competing with you!!
(Yeah......right!)

Your ray of sunshine is the glint of the gold!
Mine is the green of the tarnish; I like the old key you found ; looks like a railroad lock key...any letters stamped in it?

No RR markings, ironhorse........I railroaded for 15 years and have a fair collection of railroad memorabilia........it's possible it could be a maintainers' key.

Those deeper signals after the top layer is cleared is where the best finds lie. Keep at it - things lol promising for you. Keep at it

Funny you should say that, Scrappy. I have a very defined "training site" in a nearby park that I hunted 50 or more times with my Compadre last year. It was cleaned out........definitely, cleaned out. I've taken the Vaquero over there a couple of times this year and have pulled quite a few deeper coins that the Compadre missed..........I'm a believer!!

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, I needed my sunglasses to read your post. Sweet digs there Chizzy, congratulations on the gold and other finds.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, I needed my sunglasses to read your post. Sweet digs there Chizzy, congratulations on the gold and other finds.

I tried to give you fair warning in the thread title, Mark..........:laughing7: Thanks. Looking forward to some of your bling this year!!

Congrats on the gold and other finds

Thanks, art.........hopefully the finds will improve a bit more, although the gold is sure a welcomed addition for now!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are learning the new machine just fine Chizzy. A big congrats on digging that sunshine. :occasion14: I also like the key, it's cool and will look great in a display.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice outing. Congrats on all the finds.

Thanks, Trezurehunter........it was a lot of scratching for a few goodies. It was the ring that made it a great time!!

Looks like you are learning the new machine just fine Chizzy. A big congrats on digging that sunshine. :occasion14: I also like the key, it's cool and will look great in a display.

I've been workin' it, Loco-Digger.......and listening........it's starting to bring me around.
The key has me a bit confused. No markings on it for identification........so, it will go with all my other railroad locks and keys.
I've brought 17 silver rings home the past 10 months and my wife will give them a cursory inspection and say, "Oh, that's nice". Not this time.......one look at that gold and it's, "Oh, I like that!! Can it be fixed? I'd like to have it!" .............:icon_scratch:.............. It went to the jeweler this afternoon...........sigh...................

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bit of gold there and I like the RR switch key too, even if it has no markings. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bit of gold there and I like the RR switch key too, even if it has no markings. :icon_thumright:

Thanks, Wildcat.......both were welcomed additions.......one for me and one for the wife!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread